How to: Yamaha VF150LA to NMEA 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to: Yamaha VF150LA to NMEA 2000

I have a Yamaha 150 SHO, CL5 gauge and a NMEA 2000 backbone. I'd like to get the Yamaha info up onto my Garmin 8612 MFD. How do I or what do I need to accomplish that?

Find the bus bar, buy one of these from BOE Marine, plug into on open Device port on the Bus bar, plug into the NMEA network.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	180174 Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	180175
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Is there any difference between going through the NMEA 2000 system or going from the Yamaha Engine Bus to the Garmin using a J1939 Adapter Cable? I discovered that cable after I posted.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
        Parker Yacht commented
        Editing a comment
        If the engine supports that, no. Not sure a SHO does.

As always I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Last, on the bus bar, to connect that BOE cable, I'll need to remove one of the white terminator/weather caps (6Y8-82582-11-00), correct? And how do I know if I have Command Link or Command Link +?
      Last edited by Capt Jim; 01-20-2023, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
        Parker Yacht commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, remove a Device cap (White) and plug the BOE003 into that.
        That's what is weird, you say you have a CL5 display, that is CL+.
        But I thought the SHO was CL, but, if the CL5 is working, then it has CL+.

It's a 2022 Hewes Redfisher 18 factory rigged with a 150 SHO and CL5 gauge. The order sheet says CL Mechanical Control w/ CL5 Gauge. And I thought with the Command Link + you needed a gateway, not just a cable; but, it's been a little while since my last boat.

Comment

I connected my 2017 200 SHO to my Garmin.

Cable direct from engine to NMEA backbone and then Garmin to backbone.

It’s been a while, so I forget the cable & termination details but if it helps you I can dig out my info. Should still have it.

Very worthwhile even if for nothing else than tracking fuel usage.
        Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post
          I connected my 2017 200 SHO to my Garmin.

Cable direct from engine to NMEA backbone and then Garmin to backbone.

It’s been a while, so I forget the cable & termination details but if it helps you I can dig out my info. Should still have it.

Very worthwhile even if for nothing else than tracking fuel usage.
          I agree, definitely worthwhile. If I remember right though, CL+ requires a gateway, while the CL just requires that BOE cable to the backbone. From what I read on another site, all mechanical engines are CL and all DEC engines are CL+. Perhaps Parker here can confirm that.

Comment

On my 06 F150LF I used a Lowrance adapter to NMEA following information on a tht thread. It's was less expensive than purchasing the Yamaha gateway. Everything works great except trim and tilt indication doesn't function properly on the Garmin (Echomap 94sv).

What I like most is fuel flow / level monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Jim View Post

I agree, definitely worthwhile. If I remember right though, CL+ requires a gateway, while the CL just requires that BOE cable to the backbone. From what I read on another site, all mechanical engines are CL and all DEC engines are CL+. Perhaps Parker here can confirm that.
              Yes.
              And the CL5, "Available five-inch Touchscreen Display (CL5) – works with all DEC and Command Link-compatible outboards (F20 and up)."

Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Working...
              X