Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Unit Oil Leak

2001 Yamaha 40 HP, 2 stroke

Small amount of lower unit oil appears to be coming from up past the prop. By small I mean a few drops overnight. I changed the oil about a month ago and the oil that is leaking looks brand new with no water or junk in it

What should I start checking?

Originally posted by squid row View Post
    2001 Yamaha 40 HP, 2 stroke

Small amount of lower unit oil appears to be coming from up past the prop. By small I mean a few drops overnight. I changed the oil about a month ago and the oil that is leaking looks brand new with no water or junk in it

What should I start checking?
    Not sure I follow the explanation.
    What do you mean, "Up past the prop"?
    Can you post a picture?
    Depending on where you are, could be it got filled when it was cold and not the heat is making it expand?
    Post a Pikture---.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

Not sure I follow the explanation.
      What do you mean, "Up past the prop"?
      Can you post a picture?
      Depending on where you are, could be it got filled when it was cold and not the heat is making it expand?
      Post a Pikture---.
      I'll try and grab a pic this afternoon but it looks like the oil is coming out the prop shaft area. It is not leaking from the fill screws

Comment

I'll try and grab a pic this afternoon but it looks like the oil is coming out the prop shaft area. It is not leaking from the fill screws
        Maybe fishing line wrapped on the prop and sliced the seal. Been there done that. Take the prop off and inspect.
        Sanibel FL
        Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6 - SOLD

Comment

Pull the prop and thrust bearing in front of prop to get a clear view of top prop shaft seal. Look for leaks, fishing line etc, and clean it. Tilt down and see if it continues. The seals are fairly delicate so don't go gouging around with a screwdriver.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	584402FE-15A7-40A9-B8A4-730AA8B0983F.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	4.67 MB
ID:	163012 Click image for larger version

Name:	87ABFE56-B697-43D8-879E-6014D01C3EEB.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	163011 Click image for larger version

Name:	94E7A706-48BE-4027-86AB-95D8B3D18198.jpg
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	163010 Pulled the prop and washers

found small amount of fishing line, a bad seal of some kind and what looks like a broken spring of some sort

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	584402FE-15A7-40A9-B8A4-730AA8B0983F.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	4.67 MB
ID:	163012 Click image for larger version

Name:	87ABFE56-B697-43D8-879E-6014D01C3EEB.jpg
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	163011 Click image for larger version

Name:	94E7A706-48BE-4027-86AB-95D8B3D18198.jpg
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	163010 Pulled the prop and washers

found small amount of fishing line, a bad seal of some kind and what looks like a broken spring of some sort
              The cheap(est) solution is to buy another seal, take the spring out and install in that seal.
              The cheap(er) solution is try and pull the seal(s) with some thingamabob and possibly scratch the whattchamacallit, and install two (2) new seals.(Could end of being the most expensive solution).
              The not so cheap solution is pull the carrier, replace the seals, pressure test, fill with lube oil.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

The cheap(est) solution is to buy another seal, take the spring out and install in that seal.
                The cheap(er) solution is try and pull the seal(s) with some thingamabob and possibly scratch the whattchamacallit, and install two (2) new seals.(Could end of being the most expensive solution).
                The not so cheap solution is pull the carrier, replace the seals, pressure test, fill with lube oil.

Thanks. Guessing that spring thing came out of a disintegrated seal of some kind

Comment

Thanks. Guessing that spring thing came out of a disintegrated seal of some kind
                  Yes, spring is part of the seal. Seals aren’t expensive. There is a “hack” method to replacing that Ole refers to.

Comment

Working...
                  X