2006 Mercury Optimax 150HP 2 stroke Alum anodes? Mercury Vengeance prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Mercury Optimax 150HP 2 stroke Alum anodes? Mercury Vengeance prop?

in my research for an aluminum anode kit, shows I should have a Flat anode at the Prop housing, but I have a Fin...
    any ideas or thoughts on this?

Also I`ve always run Aluminum props in these waters, with the way shoals change and debris from prior storms, so far I`ve been lucky. Alot of tree trunks submerged, old docks, bottom could be soft and gravel etc etc.
    I know this is a very good prop, should I be worried or switch to Aluminum... Boat> 2007 Angler 204WA

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100018.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	159452 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100021.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	159453
    1994/5 Caravelle Legend 2000, HOT Mercruiser 350 Alpha 1
    2007 Angler 204WA Mercury 150HP Opti
    "Pale Rider Performance"

You running in fresh water, brackish water or salt water?

Flat or finned anode, don't think the fin helps on a single engine sterndrive with power steering. You won't get any rudder feedback running a flat anode, so I don't think it matters much.

Andy
    Andrew Munao Jr
    Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
    888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

• SeaDawg3
      SeaDawg3 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Andy! how ya been!? Opimax 150 outboard with SeaStar hydraulic steering. I have no info on why or how the finned trim tab is there as opposed to the flat. I know its for torque steer, but the last owner could have installed that finned trim tab. I`m running in Salt and Brackish waters. .

I have the flat anode on my Caravelle I/O steering feels good, was power steering, but I`ve changed the steering tube to non power BC of modifications to the 350 small block... aftermarket heads, taller valve covers and headers... steering should be interesting with adding more power, lol...

Thanks you Andy!

If the engine spends anytime in the water, you are going to want a zinc anode on there, unless you want to replace the aluminum more frequently.

That will be interesting on the I/O boat. I know on some older Mercruisers without power steering, they can turn by themselves underway.
    Andrew Munao Jr
    Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
    888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post
      If the engine spends anytime in the water, you are going to want a zinc anode on there, unless you want to replace the aluminum more frequently.

That will be interesting on the I/O boat. I know on some older Mercruisers without power steering, they can turn by themselves underway.
      I have a new trailer on order, so the Angler will not be sitting in the water this year.

the I/O boat, having a dry upright header exhaust with custom 90 degree bends with polished SS tips loaded with car chemistry muffler inserts to knock down the decibels a bit, Nice roller cm, taller valve covers to allow using Scorpion full roller trunion rockers which necessitated omitting the PS assist system. Plus the PS came really close to the ORCA heat exchanger during a mock up...
      the engine is not concealed anymore, open concept. going to be a custom engine guard when all is said and done...
      everything back there is getting redesigned for this.... its going to be crazzzyyy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211001_130213442_HDR.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	4.20 MB
ID:	159479

​​​​​​​
      1994/5 Caravelle Legend 2000, HOT Mercruiser 350 Alpha 1
      2007 Angler 204WA Mercury 150HP Opti
      "Pale Rider Performance"

Comment

If you don't have power steering anymore the finned anode is going to become really important. Unless you have large biceps or like doing circles all day.

Comment

• SeaDawg3
          SeaDawg3 commented
          Editing a comment
          that`s an easy remedy by installing a fin for the I/O boat, if this experiment fails, then new custom hoses and a pump relocation will be in order...

But as far as the topic boat the Angler, the boat does have SeaStar Hydraulic steering.
      Working...
      X