F225 Tilt and Trim Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225 Tilt and Trim Issue

I've got a 2004 F225 and the tilt and trim has been driving me crazy for the last couple of years. When I press the up switch I hear the relay click, but nothing happens. If I click the switch enough times, sometimes many times, it'll eventually kick in. Trimming down is never a problem. I've replaced the relays and rebuilt the trim motor. Each time I work on it, the problem seemingly goes away, but within a couple of weeks it returns. The problem seems worse after the boat has been sitting unused for a while and when the battery isn't 100% charged. It almost never does it when I'm out on the water (only once I think). I was getting the boat ready to take out this past weekend and it wasn't working. I charged the batteries and it still wouldn't go, but my charger has a jump start feature and when I switched it on, the trim started working. This makes me think there's a resistance issue somewhere, perhaps a loose or corroded connection, but I've checked or replaced everything I can think of, except the switches. It seems doubtful to me that it'd be the switches, since the problem occurs with both the one at the helm and on the motor. Has anyone had this same problem and figured out the issue? Is there something I'm forgetting to check. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Originally posted by fishesman View Post
    I've got a 2004 F225 and the tilt and trim has been driving me crazy for the last couple of years. When I press the up switch I hear the relay click, but nothing happens. If I click the switch enough times, sometimes many times, it'll eventually kick in. Trimming down is never a problem. I've replaced the relays and rebuilt the trim motor. Each time I work on it, the problem seemingly goes away, but within a couple of weeks it returns. The problem seems worse after the boat has been sitting unused for a while and when the battery isn't 100% charged. It almost never does it when I'm out on the water (only once I think). I was getting the boat ready to take out this past weekend and it wasn't working. I charged the batteries and it still wouldn't go, but my charger has a jump start feature and when I switched it on, the trim started working. This makes me think there's a resistance issue somewhere, perhaps a loose or corroded connection, but I've checked or replaced everything I can think of, except the switches. It seems doubtful to me that it'd be the switches, since the problem occurs with both the one at the helm and on the motor. Has anyone had this same problem and figured out the issue? Is there something I'm forgetting to check. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Explain "Rebuilt the trim motor".
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Put a meter on the up wire at the motor. 1. Make sure it is getting full voltage. 2. How many amps is it drawing. 3. Does the voltage or amperage fall off immediately.

My first thought would be a bad spot on the motor (they seem to always stop in the same spot) but I would make sure of the wiring first. Could be a bad cable going to the motor.

Comment

Parker - I took the motor to a local shop and had them clean it and replace the brushes. They said it was in pretty good shape when I brought it in.

Comment

Parker - I took the motor to a local shop and had them clean it and replace the brushes. They said it was in pretty good shape when I brought it in.
          You need to do some basic electrical troubleshooting.
          - Does this happen on all trim switches? The control handle? The engine belly pan?
          If No, then trouble shoot that switch.
          If yes, then put a voltmeter on the relay, Toggle the engine "DOWN", read voltage on the Green wire coming out of the relay, should be 12.6's or better.
          Toggle the engine "UP" do the same for the Blue wire. Read that voltage.
          Lastly, if you feel comfortable, you could "jump" the trim motor directly, that's a bit more involved.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I tore into the trim system this afternoon. I have the same problem with either switch, so I doubt they're the issue. The voltage was 12.3 on both the up and down relays. My batteries are on their way out and were reading 12.44V. I'll be changing them out later this week. After checking the voltage, I swapped the blue and green wires on the relays and suddenly I could trim down, but not up (the opposite of the problem I've been having). I seem to be getting the voltage I need, but not the amps. Bad relay? Anything else I should check before replacing them?

Comment

I tore into the trim system this afternoon. I have the same problem with either switch, so I doubt they're the issue. The voltage was 12.3 on both the up and down relays. My batteries are on their way out and were reading 12.44V. I'll be changing them out later this week. After checking the voltage, I swapped the blue and green wires on the relays and suddenly I could trim down, but not up (the opposite of the problem I've been having). I seem to be getting the voltage I need, but not the amps. Bad relay? Anything else I should check before replacing them?
              What replay did you replace with?
              OEM or aftermarket?
              Take the trim motor wires off the relay switch. Jump the wires (2) direct to a good battery. Blue to positive, green to negative. The engine should trim. Do this multiple times. Reverse polarity. Do this multiple times. If the engine trims all the times, replace the relay. And you say "Relays", we are talking Classifieds here, correct?
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	159344
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Thanks for the troubleshooting tips. The replacement relay was a factory part. How do you feel about aftermarket relays? The price sure is attractive compared to a factory part. I don't follow your last question. If you're asking which part number, it's 21 on the diagram.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
                  Parker Yacht commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Damn auto correct.
                  The relays don't go bad that quickly, usually.
                  If the aftermarket works, who cares.

Not sure if this is the correct part, but another member may have what you’re looking for:
                https://www.bandofboaters.com/forum/...lt-trim-relays

Comment

• Gnrphil
                  Gnrphil commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Indeed I do if they are the same ones, part number is a little different, as Oli said though they don't fail that often.

The relay does the same thing for each motor, it connects or disconnects heavier amperage 12v.
                Gnrphil's is for the V6 Two stroke engine. It might be slightly different in shape, and have a different connector, but, it does the same task.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Indeedy, they do fail sometimes. I had to replace mine on 15 year old F150. Direct wiring the trim unit will help tell. What about those weak batteries? Does a crappy relay eat batteries? Just a general question.

Comment

Working...
                  X