ID:	141961 Click image for larger version

Name:	7FC88B67-FFBC-4A39-ACB7-11B588762C8B.png
Views:	86
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	142113 Click image for larger version

Name:	BD94DAD5-73C5-4326-8FDB-A0FD3B9FDD3C.png
Views:	84
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	142114 Click image for larger version  Name:	63C62415-B3CC-4CEA-B06A-C8221CECF62A.png Views:	87 Size:	3.19 MB ID:	141960 Click image for larger version  Name:	7FC88B67-FFBC-4A39-ACB7-11B588762C8B.png Views:	65 Size:	3.68 MB ID:	141962 Click image for larger version  Name:	BD94DAD5-73C5-4326-8FDB-A0FD3B9FDD3C.png Views:	86 Size:	3.33 MB ID:	141963

Click image for larger version  Name:	F561E0E8-1448-42CD-97BC-ABD8E0573A1D.jpg Views:	89 Size:	345.4 KB ID:	141959 I got my boat rewired and the tech brought this β€œhole” to my attention on my engine 03 DF 140, 176 hours.

The engine runs though I have only run it off muffs. Has anyone seen an issue like this? Appears some sort of epoxy is covering this hole. Prior to paying a mechanic $$$ to diagnose the issue, I’d like to learn a bit more if this is an issue and a possible fix.

Would running a compression test help identify a problem? With so few hours, the cost of new engine along with the months backlog, I really just prefer to fix what I have. I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thank you.

Are you sure that's epoxy? If so - it has already plasticized and I'd strip it off, clean/scour/sand the area and would replace it with MarineTex, of which I've used to repair a few blocks, both inboards and OBs.

To me ... by color, it looks like some shellac-based gasket sealer got dripped onto a spot and allowed to harden in place ...
    Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
      Bstnsportsfan commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m not certain it is epoxy though it feels like hard plastic. I posted on a FB Suzuki group and people said essentially the head needs to be welded. However I trust the brains on this site the most so I wanted to post here.

It's an epoxy. You're on the water jacket so no welding needed. If it starts to leak again, sand the area down and remove the old stuff and get down to base metal. The epoxy used there isn't exactly meant for that application (why it's yellowing).

The bigger issue is the corrosion itself. I would make a large wager that you have other issues getting ready to rear their ugly heads. I would check the "engine holder" on the port side down low by the wiring harness. It is a steel plug in the aluminum. They are notorious for rotting out on those engines. The other one I have seen is on the back of the rectifier.
    Barefoot Boats
    [email protected]
    (386)256-6977

Comment

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki.../engine-holder

part #3 is the location I'm referring to.
      Barefoot Boats
      [email protected]
      (386)256-6977

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
        Bstnsportsfan commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. I’ll take a look at this when I pick up the boat tonight. Sounds like corrosion is really really bad on an outboard.

Chris,

i have put a hole in a brand new radiator in a Big Diesel Blazer before...MARINE TEX worked for years.... I would not hesitate to sand it down and use marine tex on it, that stuff works wonders..

Comment

Chronic Yamaha problem that era. Just remember the inside is worse.

Comment

• Lprizman
          Lprizman commented
          Editing a comment
          It's a Zuk

• Parker Yacht
          Parker Yacht commented
          Editing a comment
          Come On Man, Let Billinfla have his fun. Facts don't matter. :-)))))))

Thanks guys. I picked up the boat and talked to the tech. Looks like there was some aftermarket flushing system added so maybe they knew there was a corrosion problem. Rest of the boat looks awesome. I may just do what you guys suggested, sand down, put marine Tex on it and use it. Keep seatow up to date and save for a new 115. When this one craps out it’ll come as no surprise and I’ll repower.

Comment

• DaleH
          DaleH commented
          Editing a comment
          Guides near me running twin DF140s got ~3,500 hours - still running too - before they wapped them out ...

Originally posted by Billinfla View Post
        Chronic Yamaha problem that era. Just remember the inside is worse.
        Didn’t he write DF-140? If you remove the thermostat and look inside bore with a light, what do you see?

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
          Bstnsportsfan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it’s a Suzuki. I should have made it more clear. I copied my post from a Suzuki group. I’ll look at removing the thermostat and shining a light in. I’ll try to record what’s inside with my phone. Easy to take off the thermostat?

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
        Thanks guys. I picked up the boat and talked to the tech. Looks like there was some aftermarket flushing system added so maybe they knew there was a corrosion problem. Rest of the boat looks awesome. I may just do what you guys suggested, sand down, put marine Tex on it and use it. Keep seatow up to date and save for a new 115. When this one craps out it’ll come as no surprise and I’ll repower.
        You sir have the right attitude. It's a boat, pre-owned at that. Stuff wears out and sometimes breaks because you use it as intended. Enjoy whatcha got, and move on.
        Sanibel FL
        Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

I have no idea what a df series engine is. However, it is a chronic Yamaha problem also. Perhaps they use the same grade aluminum for the castings. Point is..if it's corroded adequately to penetrate the exterior it is worse inside. Fortunately the pressure on the patches is low and even if the patches weep a little it doesn't affect the operation of the engine. Run it like ya stole it.

Comment

My buddy had Suzuki df140.... Well over 1500 hours....got tired.... upgraded to a Yamaha 150...4 years no issues...you barely know it's running and hit hauls bannanas!!!
            ​​​​​​
            Those DF are great engines....stay on top of it.

My other buddy OX Yamajunk blew a hole in the side 380 hours....

Any and all manufacturers have their quirks....some more than others....

One thing that always stuck in my mind when watching shows especially 3rd world countries with boats....most are Tohatsu Nissan and Yamaha...

Comment

I’ve talked this issue over with the wife and she agrees with it’s time to save for a new motor. I may try using this one and seeing how it goes but will save for a new one. I mentioned a new used but with the prices of used stuff these days and not knowing the prior history we’re better off buying new…unless someone like Ole was selling it. Then I’d know I can trust them.

I’m leaning towards a Suzuki 115 but will look hard at the Yamaha F115 and the Sho version.

Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate your help and no one rubbing my nose in not seeing this when I bought the boat.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback! I appreciate your help and no one rubbing my nose in not seeing this when I bought the boat.
                Damn..a missed opportunity.

Comment

I’ve talked this issue over with the wife and she agrees with it’s time to save for a new motor. I may try using this one and seeing how it goes but will save for a new one. I mentioned a new used but with the prices of used stuff these days and not knowing the prior history we’re better off buying new…unless someone like Ole was selling it. Then I’d know I can trust them.

I’m leaning towards a Suzuki 115 but will look hard at the Yamaha F115 and the Sho version.

Are you in boston? we just got in a bunch of 115's

Comment

Originally posted by massbay View Post

Are you in boston? we just got in a bunch of 115's
                    Unfortunately not, I’m now in south Florida. Will probably be ready to buy in 6 months.

Comment

Working...
                    X