Yamaha 200 hpdi (Z200TXRB) spark issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 200 hpdi (Z200TXRB) spark issues

I know that #2 and #3 cylinder are passive on a 200 HPDI when in neutral. According to YDS my #5 and #6 are also not firing in neutral, but fire once I put the engine in gear. YDS shows the TPS up at 1.14V which is way out of spec... is this related to #5 and #6 not firing in neutral. Also, can't perform any active tests on YDS... YDS says to put motor in neutral (already in neutral). Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Madaket View Post
    I know that #2 and #3 cylinder are passive on a 200 HPDI when in neutral. According to YDS my #5 and #6 are also not firing in neutral, but fire once I put the engine in gear. YDS shows the TPS up at 1.14V which is way out of spec... is this related to #5 and #6 not firing in neutral. Also, can't perform any active tests on YDS... YDS says to put motor in neutral (already in neutral). Any suggestions?
    What are the chances?
    This is on my email.
    This the same engine and person?
    According to YDS it’s not firing on 5 and 6 in neutral. I know 2 and 3 do not fire in neutral by design. When I put it in gear I get fire on all 6 cylinders, I then put it back to neutral and again 5 and 6 shut off. There are no fault codes. I thought perhaps the Shift Position Switch was faulty so I swapped the one from my port to my starboard and had same results.

Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Let's see if Jedro will jump in on this.
      Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1

[email protected]
      www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_15683.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	734.9 KB
ID:	136213 Notes from a bygone era.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20210914_045741.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	136214
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

First fix the TPS problem.

The motor may be in neutral but a faulty neutral position switch or related wiring will cause the ECU to think that it is not in neutral. Which will result in YDIS saying to put the motor in neutral.

Have you physically confirmed that cylinders 5 and 6 do not have spark?

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
            Let's see if Jedro will jump in on this.
            He will. He has.

Comment

Thanks Jethro1 for responding and your insight. #5 and #6 are definitely not firing in neutral. I removed the plugs wire and no change in engine sound. It also reads on YDS that 5 and 6 are not firing. However, in idle forward YDS shows all 6 firing.

Is it possible I hit the TPS when I was either installing or removing the cowling and knocked it out of spec?

Comment

Originally posted by Madaket View Post
                Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                Click image for larger version  Name:	image_15683.jpg Views:	26 Size:	734.9 KB ID:	136213
                Please read the hand written note on "Stationary Test".
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Cylinders 5 and 6 also won't fire in neutral when the RPM is above X, The throttle opening as reported by the TPS may also be a factor.

But that is based on everything else working according to Hoyle.

If the TPS is way out of specification, which it is, all bets may be off when it comes to what the motor may be doing.

Comment

I’m going to correct the TPS and report back my findings.

Comment

Typically speaking, Yamaha's don't go bad electrically, unless something happens, IE: They get wet, fire or someone tinkers with them.
                      Most Yamaha issues start with fuel, most "technicians" never figure that out and start making "adjustments", then the fight started.
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

[email protected]
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

---
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20210630_134150.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	136690
                        Engine Sales and Service
                        Ph +1 954.463.1515
                        Fx +1

[email protected]
                        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• SIM
                          SIM commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Add Youtube to the last one. ....lol

With close to 1000 hours on my motors I have decided to pull the injectors and have them sent out for cleaning and eliminate them as a possible cause to my problem. I will also replace both of my TPS sensors as I have learned these are potentiometers and can wear out over time. Once I get the injectors back and installed I will provide an update. Thanks again Ole and Jethro.

Comment

Isn't it kind of odd to get the injectors cleaned if you have confirmed you have a spark issue? or is the spark issue a non event?

Comment

I have spark on all 6 in gear, not in neutral. From all the reading I’ve done I have learned how lean these HPDI motors run and injectors not performing to spec is the leading culprit to irrevocable failure on these engines.

Comment

Working...
                            X