Yikes!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Yikes!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_141415.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	120291 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210516_163225.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	120292

  • #2
    Wa happen?
    Let me guess....
    The Coast Guard took a shot at your engine...cause you were smuggling Cubans? They usually aim for the powerhead.
    There was a cockroach on the engine...and you happened to have a pick in your hand.
    I give up.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
      Wa happen?
      Let me guess....
      The Coast Guard took a shot at your engine...cause you were smuggling Cubans? They usually aim for the powerhead.
      There was a cockroach on the engine...and you happened to have a pick in your hand.
      I give up.
      Yamaha F150 Adapter Plate.
      Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1
      954.463.4904
      Toll Free: 800.622.6747

      [email protected]
      www.parkeryacht.com

      Comment


      • SeaCat22
        SeaCat22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Exhaust corrosion & burn through?

      • Parker Yacht
        Parker Yacht commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, but only on the adapter plate, and only that spot on some F150's.

    • #4
      Whoa..
      As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
      2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

      Comment


      • #5
        The infamous Yammie mid-section corrosion?
        Darn...

        Comment


        • #6
          In the top picture ... how does the corrosion hole migrate from the adaptor plate (from 2nd picture) out to the panel via a perfect hole? Heat?
          Life is too short for an ugly boat!

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by DaleH View Post
            In the top picture ... how does the corrosion hole migrate from the adaptor plate (from 2nd picture) out to the panel via a perfect hole? Heat?
            Heat! It melted the apron.

            F150 w/1k hrs. Guide exhaust corrosion. Boat used primarily in brackish water. Pulling block this week to see what we can see. Hopefully isolated to just the guide exhaust.

            Comment


            • #8
              I have a friend of mine who has a 2000 200 Yammie that corroded through at one of the thermostat mounting pads. I have never seen nor heard of that before. The engine had the warranty upgrades done to the mid section a while ago. Damn shame!
              95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
              Seaford, De
              Curtis

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by NO WAKE View Post
                I have a friend of mine who has a 2000 200 Yammie that corroded through at one of the thermostat mounting pads. I have never seen nor heard of that before. The engine had the warranty upgrades done to the mid section a while ago. Damn shame!
                While changing thermostats in one of my motors i noticed a significant pit forming inside the tstat cavity. I wire wheeled it, hit with zinc chromate paint and jb weld. So far so good.

                Comment


                • #10
                  Good news, bad news....

                  Good news, the corrosion is limited to the guide exhaust/mid section, bad news it is a $2k+ repair bill. Cheaper than a repower I suppose. Doing the oil pump and speedi sleeve while the block is off which will add to my bill.

                  Should be back on the water next week.
                  Last edited by Fish'nfool; 05-24-2021, 06:20 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #11
                    At the shop the general rule of thumb is 15 yrs old.
                    after 15 yrs you're in maintenance mode,
                    if you can keep it running $1000.00 at a time ,go for it.
                    if you have to put multiple thousands into a 20 yr old motor it will usually bite you in the butt.
                    even though yamaha kind of has a corrosion issue, it seem's to go for any brand motor.

                    Comment


                    • #12
                      Got the boat back today! $3k later...

                      Dropped it in the water fired right up and ran good. I did notice the idel RPM was 800. Ok... Off I went...

                      Got to my dock and.tried to shift into neutral and it was very hard and would grind into reverse, then I'd have to shift back to neutral. Tried it again same thing, and again got it into neutral this time without grinding into reverse.

                      Is this a symptom of my idle RPMs being too high?

                      Comment


                      • #13
                        Idle spec is 700+/- 50rpm.
                        800 is not perfect, but I don't think that is the issue.
                        I would check your shift linkage adjustment/measurement at the engine (Disconnect the shift cable at the shifting mechanism on the engine, put the engine shift mechanism is neutral by hand, put the shifter in neutral, see if the two line up at the connection point on the engine). and I would check the shifting, when NOT connected to the engine.
                        Engine Sales and Service
                        Ph +1 954.463.1515
                        Fx +1
                        954.463.4904
                        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

                        [email protected]
                        www.parkeryacht.com

                        Comment


                        • #14
                          Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                          Idle spec is 700+/- 50rpm.
                          800 is not perfect, but I don't think that is the issue.
                          I would check your shift linkage adjustment/measurement at the engine (Disconnect the shift cable at the shifting mechanism on the engine, put the engine shift mechanism is neutral by hand, put the shifter in neutral, see if the two line up at the connection point on the engine). and I would check the shifting, when NOT connected to the engine.
                          Thanks. I hope it's as simple as an adjustment to the linkage cause if I have to pull the boat again and haul it back over the bridge to them I'll.

                          I guess too I could shift it with the engine off to see if the stiffness is still there.

                          Comment


                          • #15
                            Originally posted by Fish'nfool View Post
                            Got the boat back today! $3k later...

                            Dropped it in the water fired right up and ran good. I did notice the idel RPM was 800. Ok... Off I went...

                            Got to my dock and.tried to shift into neutral and it was very hard and would grind into reverse, then I'd have to shift back to neutral. Tried it again same thing, and again got it into neutral this time without grinding into reverse.

                            Is this a symptom of my idle RPMs being too high?
                            To add to what Ole mentioned, I would suggest calling the service dealer that did the work. I know if I had done the repair for you and something wasn't right, I would want to know so we could fix it.
                            Andrew Munao Jr
                            Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                            888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X