Fuel Delivery Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Delivery Issue

Engine is a 2003 Yamaha F225 Four Stroke with 1300 hours that runs great, boat is a 2003 Grady White Voyager 258

A few months ago I got stuck and determined the engine was not getting fuel. I was able to blow back from the fuel filter to the fuel tank so I figured the anti siphon valve was shot. I replaced the anti siphon valve and had trouble free boating for the last couple of months. Fast forward to today and the fuel deprivation issue is back.

Throttle up, engine bogs down and runs out of gas and shuts off. First stop is the primer bulb... it is NOT flat but it has no fuel in it. Prime it up, start her up, runs great for a few minutes then problem reappears.

Dumped a little fuel from the bottom of the racor (looked clean) and started her up again and problem did not reappear but to be safe I headed back to the ramp and came home.

So.....would you guess the issues is in the fuel tank or one of the fuel pumps on the engine? Where to start with troubleshooting?

Thanks for any help you can provide

The main part of troubleshoot is just that. Troubleshooting.
    Most people throw parts at things having no idea what portion of the issue they are addressing or not.
    So. Isolate the issue. Is it a boat issue or an engine issue?
    Grab a 6 gal aux fuel tank and hose it right to the on engine fuel water separator. Run the boat, issue or no issue?
    - No, there is no issue. Then inspect the boat fuel system from the fuel pick up to the engine connection in the grommet. Possibly something is getting sucked up in the intake and drops off when you stop. 18 year old tank, fuel hose, etc, anything is possible. To troubleshoot this, install a Vacuum gauge in line at the engine with fuel rated clear plastic hose. Vacuum below 6hg and no air. All is good. Above 6hg and air, you have a restriction and/or a compromised pickup system.
    - Yes, there is an issue. Then check the electrical fuel lift pump. It should come on when key "on" for 10 secs. Then it cycles with engine running at 1000 rpm and below. 10secs on 20 secs off (I think that is the numbers). And check the VST filter. When has that been changed?
    To trouble shoot this. Install a Fuel Pressure gauge on the top of the VST and read FP when key on, should be 46psi or so. (I think). Been awhile.
    So.
    Isolate. Engine or bote.
    Diagnose.
    Repair issue.
    No parts throwing.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Thank you. Going to see if I can replicate while running in a tank If not Ill run back to the lake tomorrow and try

Comment

Surprisingly.... I was able to replicate the issue in a tank in my driveway and it is limited to the main fuel tank. Issue did not occur when I switched to an aux tank

Next steps will be to replace the racor and then?

Considering this is an older boat I had planned to have the fuel tank cleaned anyway. Guess now is a good time to get it set up and hope that will clear out whatever gunk is in there

Any recommendations on a fuel tank cleaner in NC or SC?

Comment

Originally posted by squid row View Post
          Surprisingly.... I was able to replicate the issue in a tank in my driveway and it is limited to the main fuel tank. Issue did not occur when I switched to an aux tank

Next steps will be to replace the racor and then?

Considering this is an older boat I had planned to have the fuel tank cleaned anyway. Guess now is a good time to get it set up and hope that will clear out whatever gunk is in there

Any recommendations on a fuel tank cleaner in NC or SC?
          You're on the trail now.. Happy hunting..
          As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
          2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I would give GW a call. See if they put screens on the pick ups on those tanks that year.
            Also dump the Racor and put the fuel in a Ziplock Freezer bag. Hold it up to the sun. Let's see it.
            2003. May go back to non-ethanol fuel hose. Maybe the interior of the hose is collapsing.
            Seems like a restriction to me.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
              I would give GW a call. See if they put screens on the pick ups on those tanks that year.
              Also dump the Racor and put the fuel in a Ziplock Freezer bag. Hold it up to the sun. Let's see it.
              2003. May go back to non-ethanol fuel hose. Maybe the interior of the hose is collapsing.
              Seems like a restriction to me.
              That makes sense and may explain why I can prime the bulb when this issue is occurring....

Think I will replace the hose while I have my head in the bilge

Comment

Pull the fuel pickup off the 'boss' on top of the tank using 2 box wrenches 180-degrees opposed. I'd bet you find the fuel pickup screen clogged with 'naval lint' ...
                Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Brief update....

Pulled the hose from the fuel tank and honestly it looked brand new. Pulled the racor that I installed three months ago and the fuel was spotless.

However... the top gasket on the racor was cut. I doubt that is the issue, but I replaced the racor anyway and will try a test run later this afternoon.

While google diagnosing I came across this nugget.. is it true? "If the bulb does not collapse it is not starving for fuel and the problem is on the motor side"

in my case the bulb did not collapse and I was able to prime it to get fuel into tge engine. I believe but will double check but there was fuel in the bowl of the racor too
                  Last edited by squid row; 04-07-2021, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Comment

This filter has fuel the entire time even when the engine starts sputtering and stalls and tge racor has fuel too

Tried switching between aux and main fuel tanks and problem is exclusive to main tank or I have just been unlucky and need more time on the aux tank

have replaced primer bulb, bypassed primer completely, replaced racor all with no affect

removed anti siphon valve and blew air into fuel tank with no resistance so I don’t think its a clog.

that being said when i put pressure into the tank i could hear air coming from the filler cap but I think that is supposed to happen

next??

i have a 20 second video but can’t upload it

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by squid row View Post
                          Brief update....

Pulled the hose from the fuel tank and honestly it looked brand new. Pulled the racor that I installed three months ago and the fuel was spotless.

However... the top gasket on the racor was cut. I doubt that is the issue, but I replaced the racor anyway and will try a test run later this afternoon.

While google diagnosing I came across this nugget.. is it true? "If the bulb does not collapse it is not starving for fuel and the problem is on the motor side"

in my case the bulb did not collapse and I was able to prime it to get fuel into tge engine. I believe but will double check but there was fuel in the bowl of the racor too
                          I might disagree at this blanket statement.
                          What happens if there is a hole in the hose or say, a cut in the Racor gasket?
                          It would starve for fuel, and not collapse the primer bulb.
                          Engine Sales and Service
                          Ph +1 954.463.1515
                          Fx +1

[email protected]
                          www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

That almost looks like pure water. You smelled it?
                            This is where you need some tools to diagnose. Fuel vacuum gauge, clear hose.
                            Excessive vacuum?
                            Air?
                            Engine Sales and Service
                            Ph +1 954.463.1515
                            Fx +1

[email protected]
                            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

That almost looks like pure water. You smelled it?
                              This is where you need some tools to diagnose. Fuel vacuum gauge, clear hose.
                              Excessive vacuum?
                              Air?

Yes, I am sure that is all ethanol free and clean gasoline. No water at all

So last night after going through a million things in my head I realized that in all the swapping of parts, the one piece I forgot to swap was the hose from the tank to the racor... DUH!

Replaced it this morning and after 20 minutes running in the tank the issue has not repeated. If the storms hold off I will lake test it this afternoon.

I took the old hose and sealed off one end and added air pressure to the other. I don't think it has any leaks so I am not optimistic at this point but we shall see

Comment

Working...
                              X