Ceramic coating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to Ceramic Pro in Fort Myers, which is sort of the "gold standard" for this type of thing on cars. He described it as "sacrificial", so it lasts for only so long. They do an 18 month version, which is really just the top coat and also a 3 year version, which also has a thick base coat, plus several top coats. They take a similar approach to cars, though they also need a prep for paint correction before application. I have a friend who is fanatical about detailing his cars. He has had CeramicPro on his Audi for 4+ years, said it's still like new, swears by it, so I thought I'd look at it.

I asked them about the worst case cost, which is 3+ year protection

$249 paint correction/prep plus $1,200 for the new truck 4-5 years protection. ~$160/foot for the boat, 3+ years, for everything, keel to top of mast, upholstery, stainless, glass, everything on the boat. It seems bat crazy, but then I spent some time talking to people who clean up the boats at the dry stack here. They have a bunch of very high end go-fasts there, Nor-techs, MTI, Skater, Outerlimits, etc. Almost all of them have this and the guys said they want to hug the boat owners because they're so much easier to clean up and detail after coming back out on the water. The CP owner said new 39' Nor-Techs take them more than 90 man-hours to prep alone, so definitely some serious labor in there.

Anyway, just another data point, but that's a whole lotta coin.

Comment

I ended up having my Tundra done with IGL Coatings "Kensa", as well as XPel paint protective film on the front and hood. We'll see how it holds up, but it's da bomb for getting love bugs off.

Further research on the boat products seems to show that this market is exploding lately. Me-thinks that if a detailer puts "ceramic" anywhere in their product or service now, the price doubles or triples. Like anything else though, the work and $$$ is still in the prep if you want any kind of decent results. In detailer speak, that is "paint correction" to get rid of swirls, scratches from washing, etc. There are people who are good, and a whole lot of not so good.

Comment

I wa just researching ceramic coating last night. Gyeon makes a product for gel coat that you can buy yourself. I think I am going to do my hardtop with the ceramic coating.

Comment

I’ve been wondering about this myself and the actual longevity
          There’s so much ‘snake oil’ if you will on the market I just don’t know
          I mean FL & AL sun will beat down anything left exposed over the course of a summer.

Why is so much prep required on new boats & vehicles?
          They working out every imperfection?
          I’d like to see one, and again six months later
          ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
          '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
          '18 Fountain 38 - sold
          ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
            I’ve been wondering about this myself and the actual longevity
            There’s so much ‘snake oil’ if you will on the market I just don’t know
            I mean FL & AL sun will beat down anything left exposed over the course of a summer.

Why is so much prep required on new boats & vehicles?
            They working out every imperfection?
            I’d like to see one, and again six months later
            I am with you on this one, Joey.. I work with a guy who had his truck done and it looks good.. Even did the rims.. But it is not like it looks brand new.. It shines, but I would have to see this done on a boat and watch it as the summer goes by in this heat, salt water and sun..

I also agree with the "snake oil" statement.. I have seen SO MANY guys guarantee you everything in the world about their detail, servicing, electronics install, etc.. Only to have a big giant pile of poop 💩 when done.. And miraculously, they are nowhere to be found or just don't have time "right now" to fix the issue.. Honestly, I have found that the only people I can trust to do things the right way and keep their promises are the Lord and me.. And I have a problem with my health, so I can't do all I need to..

Anyway, I would love to see this on a boat that is used..

Comment

Friends here just did their 8 year old Grady 275 and I can tell you it came from old and faded to essentially looking brand new. Just like cars, mostly in the prep and experience of the detailer. They decided that rather than pay to store their boat all summer in a dry stack, they would do the ceramic, and store it on their lift for several months instead. So, this will be a real test as the lift is not covered, and the boat has only partial cover for the console. We shall see in a few more months, but at the moment they're thrilled with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by TomS View Post
                Friends here just did their 8 year old Grady 275 and I can tell you it came from old and faded to essentially looking brand new. Just like cars, mostly in the prep and experience of the detailer. They decided that rather than pay to store their boat all summer in a dry stack, they would do the ceramic, and store it on their lift for several months instead. So, this will be a real test as the lift is not covered, and the boat has only partial cover for the console. We shall see in a few more months, but at the moment they're thrilled with the results.
                If you can, take some pics now and maybe after summer.. I am very curious in the results.

Comment

I had a terrible experience with it on the last big boat but I think this hurricane season I will do the Hulls of my 5 boats to try and cut down on our maintenance throughout the year.

Some friends just had their yacht done and it looks like a brand new paint job and water just beads off like a nice fresh wax job

Comment

Originally posted by MikeO View Post
                    I had a terrible experience with it on the last big boat but I think this hurricane season I will do the Hulls of my 5 boats to try and cut down on our maintenance throughout the year.

Some friends just had their yacht done and it looks like a brand new paint job and water just beads off like a nice fresh wax job
                    5 boats??? I can't deal with one.. LOL...

Comment

Ole just surveyed another one for us today.... the headache continues

Comment

Originally posted by MikeO View Post
                        Ole just surveyed another one for us today.... the headache continues
                        The Intrepid?
                        ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
                        '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
                        '18 Fountain 38 - sold
                        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

Comment

Yes, it will be a perfect island boat. Lots of seats and f300s luckily we have a lot of spares from the last 4 f300s they have had on the island boats.

Comment

Working...
                          X