Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Proline 2950 Owner - Silly Questions

Hi,
    Hoping you could answer a few questions, especially hoping Mike Carrigan is around...
    I have a new used 1999 2950 with twin optimax 225's and have some novice stupid questions....

1- How do I confirm my shore power is on in the boat? My tester says power at the cord, but with batts off, how can I tell? I have the keys off, and am playing with all the switches on the breaker panel...no LED's anywhere...what should be working so that I can confirm this?

2- it has Air Conditioning and I see switches and stuff for a generator, but I don't think it has a generator. It also has on the breaker panel a switch to activate outlets.
    Someone told me if no generator, then no inverter and then no outlets...
    I have searched for outlets...cant find any...where would they be?
    How do you guys work on your boats with your power tools?

3- Where is a good place to get surplus Proline parts...like the cabin door lock, the glove box locks, those rubber circular handle clasps that keep all the secret doors closed, etc.

4- I have a rear bracket which supports the twin engines. The bracket sits in/on the water which I hate. This bracket also does not seem to be deep enough...I cannot fully raise the engines, because they butt up against the rear of the transom. So the front of the engines always stay submerged. This boat stays at the dock in South Florida.
    I am told the bracket cannot be raised, and the only option is to paint the front of the engine to avoid barnacles...and anyone sitting on the bracket will be sitting in water...
    This seems to be a real drawback to the 2950...

Thanks guys for any help...
    Fellow 2950 owner

I figured out the shore power...that you have to have batteries turned on so you can see LEDs and such...
    I found the outlets Duh!!!

Still working on the AC and the water system...Hoping someone can suggest #3 and comment on #4...
    Thanks

Comment

I have a 2950 as well and I do not have a generator but I still have outlets. one in the bathroom one up front I believe and one by the sink. If you had a generator it would be in the hatch in the rear of the boat where all the seacocks are.

My A/C was mounted under the steps in the cabin. to get it to turn on you have to flip the switch on the A/C D/C panel and then go to the thermostat above the sink.it should be a white or gray little box. If you have no generator it can only run on shore power.

As for the bracket the best you can do is paint the part of the engine that touches the water. this is a common problem among many boat.

Comment

I just bought a proline 2950 myself. I slowly learning where everything is on the boat also.

Adam is the that hot water heater under the steps?
        Last edited by Jsimpk1; 12-15-2016, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Getting parts is a good question. I'm coming to the conclusion that aftermarket parts are pretty much the answer.

As for your engines sitting in the water... I suspect you have engines that were not factory. Maybe your boat got the 4-stroke 'upgrade'. The 4 stroke engines tend to be heavier, and possibly taller, than the originals. Probably what's causing the engines and bracket to be too low & also what causes the engines not to be able to tilt all the way forward. I agree that you just need to put some anti-growth paint on the foot. Probably not much more you can do. If you did raise everything, you probably wouldn't have the prop far enough down in the water when ran, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by fox99221 View Post
            Hi,
            Hoping you could answer a few questions, especially hoping Mike Carrigan is around...
            I have a new used 1999 2950 with twin optimax 225's and have some novice stupid questions....

1- How do I confirm my shore power is on in the boat? My tester says power at the cord, but with batts off, how can I tell? I have the keys off, and am playing with all the switches on the breaker panel...no LED's anywhere...what should be working so that I can confirm this?

2- it has Air Conditioning and I see switches and stuff for a generator, but I don't think it has a generator. It also has on the breaker panel a switch to activate outlets.

3- Where is a good place to get surplus Proline parts...like the cabin door lock, the glove box locks, those rubber circular handle clasps that keep all the secret doors closed, etc.

4- I have a rear bracket which supports the twin engines. The bracket sits in/on the water which I hate. This bracket also does not seem to be deep enough...I cannot fully raise the engines, because they butt up against the rear of the transom. So the front of the engines always stay submerged. This boat stays at the dock in South Florida.
            I am told the bracket cannot be raised, and the only option is to paint the front of the engine to avoid barnacles...and anyone sitting on the bracket will be sitting in water...

Fellow 2950 owner
            I'll answer what I can, have a 1997 2950
            My AC is under the front bunk hatch, right below the triangular cushion. Controls are under the port cushion.
            My genny was in the bilge but I had to replace it. The new one is in the fish box which was repurposed to hold the genny. Needed insulation and hoses/wiring extended. DO NOT put one in the bilge. You need access there and it's a bad idea. If you get a genny look at the nextgen 3.5. Good unit and great support.
            Proline parts are best found on ebay.
            I have the same issue with the engines on the rear bracket. I have a lift so not a huge deal. But she sits in the water most weekends and it is a pain. I have 300 Zukes and they are heavy. Even with light fuel load they sit in the water.

All that said, we love this old boat and continue to fix her up.

Comment

Originally posted by fox99221 View Post
              Hi,

Fellow 2950 owner
              I came in late however it appears your well taken care of by 2950 owners
              Mine had 225 Opti's
              I'm having a difficult time understanding what your saying re the motors vs the bracket vs the transom

Comment

Have you checked to make sure your bracket isnt leaking? I cant imagine the platform was designed to sit under water, and the optis are the lightest engines you would ever put on that boat. Haveing the front of the engine in the water at rest would be just silly? Maybe you need to get 30" shafts and raise the bracket or install a hydraulic engine lift.

Comment

My 96 had the A/C under the steps I don't have hot water though I wish I did. the feshwaterpumps are behind the fridge. if you need to remove the shower sump you can disconnect it through the floor hatch then move it up and out through the refrigerator opening.it's kind of tricky.

my 2950 has G2 engines and the top of my bracket stays high out of the water. though if I had the old bracket and a full load of fuel the side wings would probably have been in the water as on the old bracket they sat lower.

Comment

Post Some pictures of the yatch.
                    Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1
                    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Working...
                    X