Hey Fellas! been a dam long year rehabing this boat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installed the DUI distributor today, not exactly a ton of room to work with. while I had the old distributor out I primed the oil system. installed new plugs and gapped to .050 for the output of the new HP coil. now I need to run 12 gauge switched wire to feed the distributor and coil... a few pics... sensor is not in fuel line yet.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090739.JPG
Views:	138
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	118381 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090740.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	1,001.4 KB
ID:	118382 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090741.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	118383 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090742.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	1,013.5 KB
ID:	118384

Comment

• Boat Bum
      Boat Bum commented
      Editing a comment
      That's tight.

Looks great 👍!
    Thanks for sharing.

BWP

Comment

going to have to run this MSD relay harness to run the DUI distributor. added a separate 12g power wire from the starter to the relay, relay to distributor Bat terminal and the original 12v key power triggering the relay...still need to figure out the shift interrupt switch.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	msd-89611_xl.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	118504

Comment

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	2.7 KB
ID:	118523 looks something like this

Comment

another day working on the yacht!
          made up and ran the primary power for the DUI. 12ga coming off the starter BAT stud, covered with 1/4 loom. Man it is busy on that stud... Fabbed up a plate to hold the weathertite MSD relay, and fuse holders for the DUI. Using the 12V purple wire as a key`d on source. Waiting for some parts to complete this. Installing the relay and fuse wiring here gives me easy access.
          Also had 2 deck plates on hand and decided to cut them into the pieces alongside the engine. Unscrew deckplate, reach in and drain the manifolds and the block.

Name:	P1090751.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	118646 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090752.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	989.8 KB
ID:	118647 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090753.JPG
Views:	102
ID:	118648 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090748.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	923.5 KB
ID:	118649 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090749.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	118650 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090750.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	118651

Comment

ok, back at it today, made up the relay system and harness to run the DUI. Grey wire is for shift interrupt switch... will get to that another day...

Name:	P1090754.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	118988 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090755.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1,008.1 KB
ID:	118989 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090756.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	984.6 KB
ID:	118990

Comment

on Sunday: I finished running the wires for the fuel pressure gauge and the capillary tube for the vacuum gauge. Install the fitting in the intake manifold for the tube, as well as make up the brass T with fittings and using A1 fuel hose. I used up a 25ft roll of 1/4 split loom and a crap load of zip ties tidying things up...
              The fuel pressure gauge was ordered with 20ft of wire and made it from the helm to the engine with a little to spare. I also ordered the longest tubing with the vacuum gauge and had to add about 6 feet to follow the fuel gauge wiring and to the manifold fitting.
              in the pic of the blue fitting you could see the grey wire connector (bullet socket) for the shift interrupt switch...
              ready to fire the boat up soon, and still need to fix the rats nest of Navigation and courtesy lighting...

Comment

Name:	P1090757.JPG
Views:	87
ID:	119282 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090758.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	997.9 KB
ID:	119283 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090759.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	119284 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090760.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	119285 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090761.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	119286

Comment

hey gang! man the time flys... a quick update: well the new gauges are doing their job and helping me diagnose a possible issue. recap from last season: boat was falling off when running WOT to achieve max rpms. Found a few things, Vacuum secondary diaphram housing was a little loose along with the electric choke assembly on the Holley after first run of this season sometime last week. Irratic throttle, and still falling flat when approaching 44, 45, 4600 rpms... reinstalled Old rocky 800 cfm carb and the boat def responds better with the mechanical secondaries. also at this time put the 14 x 19 four blade back on. The boat likes the larger prop with slightly lower rpms for cruising. easily stays on plane at lower rpms... So Im seeing a fuel pressure drop from 6.5 to 3.5-4psi when trying to reach max rpms. and the pressure will randomly drop while cruising. All hoses, connections, water sep/filter (new) all good. This is with a brand new carter/sierra fuel pump installed last year. so currently I`m chasing down the cause. boat still runs well and has enough to plane off, just a pressure and or volume drop when wide open... I`ll get there. just deciding on what course of action before I start changing pumps.

and to add the trim sender wires broke off at the sender... ugh, that is a huge PITA to repair/replace

Comment

Put a cheapo electric fuel pump in place to see if the pressure stays up. If it does obviously the Carter pump is bad. If it loses pressure put a vacuum gage on the line coming from the tank and see what it is doing. If you get a bunch of vacuum there may be something in the tank restricting flow into the pickup tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
                      Put a cheapo electric fuel pump in place to see if the pressure stays up. If it does obviously the Carter pump is bad. If it loses pressure put a vacuum gage on the line coming from the tank and see what it is doing. If you get a bunch of vacuum there may be something in the tank restricting flow into the pickup tube.
                      yep and yep. I use a mini Mr Gasket pump to pull fuel and it showed good volume, no restriction, for some reason Im just not jiggy with removing the pick up tube in the poly tank to verify... plus I never like to play with fuel or connections when out on the water... ugh

Comment

check this out, here is what Cliff Ruggles had to comment on my remanufactured carb, after posting a few question on some requirements for the Rochester. The fact of the matter is its true.
                        My reman was purchased from Guaranteed Carburetors in Largo, FL.

I will go on to say the discussion on his forum is pretty intriguing... worth a read if ya have the time.

Fuel pressure issue? or volume issue? in a Boat.

Last edited by SeaDawg3; 06-27-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                          bluewaterposer commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I understood a small % of that article, but I got the gist!
                          Great read!

For shits n giggles I have a new Holley marine pump on the way 6.5 -8.0 psi. I`ll set that up and go from there... I have a hand full of new fittings since the new pump is 3/8 NPT where the Sierra/Carter is 1/4 NPT. Also going to check on the only 90 degree fitting feeding the WS might be restrictive.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post
                          For shits n giggles I have a new Holley marine pump on the way 6.5 -8.0 psi. I`ll set that up and go from there... I have a hand full of new fittings since the new pump is 3/8 NPT where the Sierra/Carter is 1/4 NPT. Also going to check on the only 90 degree fitting feeding the WS might be restrictive.
                          6.5-8.0 psi, you may need a pressure regulator to keep it from flooding.
                          Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Originally posted by Slough View Post

6.5-8.0 psi, you may need a pressure regulator to keep it from flooding.
                            true that, but if the rebuilder did their job and installed marine specific parts in this reman, thn Cliff ruggles says the Rocky could take that all day long. it is also dependant on the QC of the pump itself. Holley, and others have been known to not produce enough or way to much pressure as I`m finding out with these parts being made overseas now.... Didnt have this bullshit when I was building street cars and restomods back in the day... people dont give a crap about anything anymore, not even how they earn their living...

Comment

Working...
                            X