Hey Fellas! been a dam long year rehabing this boat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot's dat red, rust-looking stuff ... ?
    ...v

Just kidding, lookin' good!
    Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

it used to leak...
      I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. πŸ•

Chet
      Amesbury, MA (work in Boston)
      1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
      How can I help you?

Comment

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
        Hey SeaDawg, it's only fair I share my little breather collection tank project that you inspired. Not quite as nice as yours but it's solid; thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	675.5 KB
ID:	94645

Click image for larger version

Name:	breather4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	94646
        Nice!!! That works!.

Comment

update: we have bout 5 hours of runtime on the repower, and she`s loosening up nd getting stronger faster. a few tweeks here nd there, leaking garboard plug assembly, changed, no leak now, adjust the belts, minor things at this point. Still need to go through the Nav and Courtesy lighting wiring...
          So she`s running good. Been going through the break in still. last week was nice flat calm seas and cranked it up to 4200 rpm and saw 47 mph.
          went out this week with a bit of chop and trimmed nicely she scoots in the chop very well now that I can get on plane faster with this 4 blade prop, and keep the bow down easier. We saw 50.2 mph on the Garmin GPS @ 4300 rpm. I`m still learning what she likes in way of trim and conditions which work best. Her leg likes to stay down, lol.
          I have to do a bit of diagnostics as I`m hitting a sight wall @ 4300 rpm`s, I don`t let it hang at WOT to long, 20 seconds or so and twice she felt like she was falling off with no drop in rpm, Weird! .
          I know there is more. Now it could be this 14x19 4 blade as well considering 2 adults, full tank of fuel and gear. Overall this prop is fantastic. I did not get a baseline with the 13 3/4 x 21 that was on there. She did not like planning off with that prop, hung to much air...
          But I`ll be looking into some things like fuel pressure, and making sure my Holley 650 cfm spread bore vac secondry is opening all the way. it does feel that after it relaxes at 4300 the secondary are closing a bit... I`ll work on that.

BTW, the carb, manifold, FA, fuel pump, water separator/filter, hoses, are all new. engine timing is set @ 8 degrees BTDC. The boat runs very well and accelerates hard, midrange is great, I`m impressed for an old gal, but this issue with WOT... I may not sort that out this year as the season is closing fast to be swapping parts. so I`ll check fuel pressure first.
          350 non vortec roller cam engine, Weiand intake, Holley 650, mechanical carter fuel pump, 42GPH @ 5.5 psi is spec... that should be good as fuel for the 270HP 350 should be about 22.5 GPH

GPH= (maxHP x BSFC) /6
          270 HP x .5 = 135 divided by 6 = 22.5, you`d think the Carter pump should handle it... considering there was a Massive Rochester carb on the original set up with same spec old fuel pump...
          we`ll get there... so far, I like it!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post
            update: we have bout 5 hours of runtime on the repower, and she`s loosening up nd getting stronger faster. a few tweeks here nd there, leaking garboard plug assembly, changed, no leak now, adjust the belts, minor things at this point. Still need to go through the Nav and Courtesy lighting wiring...
            So she`s running good. Been going through the break in still. last week was nice flat calm seas and cranked it up to 4200 rpm and saw 47 mph.
            went out this week with a bit of chop and trimmed nicely she scoots in the chop very well now that I can get on plane faster with this 4 blade prop, and keep the bow down easier. We saw 50.2 mph on the Garmin GPS @ 4300 rpm. I`m still learning what she likes in way of trim and conditions which work best. Her leg likes to stay down, lol.
            I have to do a bit of diagnostics as I`m hitting a sight wall @ 4300 rpm`s, I don`t let it hang at WOT to long, 20 seconds or so and twice she felt like she was falling off with no drop in rpm, Weird! .
            I know there is more. Now it could be this 14x19 4 blade as well considering 2 adults, full tank of fuel and gear. Overall this prop is fantastic. I did not get a baseline with the 13 3/4 x 21 that was on there. She did not like planning off with that prop, hung to much air...
            But I`ll be looking into some things like fuel pressure, and making sure my Holley 650 cfm spread bore vac secondry is opening all the way. it does feel that after it relaxes at 4300 the secondary are closing a bit... I`ll work on that.

BTW, the carb, manifold, FA, fuel pump, water separator/filter, hoses, are all new. engine timing is set @ 8 degrees BTDC. The boat runs very well and accelerates hard, midrange is great, I`m impressed for an old gal, but this issue with WOT... I may not sort that out this year as the season is closing fast to be swapping parts. so I`ll check fuel pressure first.
            350 non vortec roller cam engine, Weiand intake, Holley 650, mechanical carter fuel pump, 42GPH @ 5.5 psi is spec... that should be good as fuel for the 270HP 350 should be about 22.5 GPH

GPH= (maxHP x BSFC) /6
            270 HP x .5 = 135 divided by 6 = 22.5, you`d think the Carter pump should handle it... considering there was a Massive Rochester carb on the original set up with same spec old fuel pump...
            we`ll get there... so far, I like it!
            Sounds like things are going your way..
            2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's
            2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

Sounds like things are going your way..
              never a dull moment, I`ll figure out this issue on the RPM`s...

Comment

UPDATE:! So as the season comes to an end here in the NE, I wanted to try a few things out before she gets some rest for the winter. I did source a reman Rochester, surprised to see it was def an 800CFM version! nice! Replaced the water separator/fuel filter, removed the 1" phenolic spacer that was under the Holley 650, bought new ARP carb studs and a Felpro Marine thick isolator carb gasket. I cleaned up and reused the original metal fuel line and removed the rubber hose and fittings used with the Holley.
                Out of the box and after the fuel system was primed, the Rochester fired up. Had a small issue with the electric choke not opening correctly and the company sent a new marine electric choke thermostat which now opens fully within 2-3 minutes.

Last Run and water test was today and she ran marvelously! put another couple hrs on her. Also swapped props from the 14 x 19 four blade to a 14.5 x 17 4 blade. Come up on plane even faster, and response is quick. Overall I lost 5mph with this prop, BUT this is still a 50+ MPH boat at 4800 RPMs. I found my missing RPMs, and so far no fuel issues other than the water sep was full and water had reached the Holley minutely.

The one issue that boaters face with using a Rochester is if your cruising with the need to step into the secondaries, and there goes your economy. Im happy to say this boat will cruise 30-40`s very well on the primaries. in checking the RPM`s VS prop size 4800 was reached during WOT with 30 gallons of fuel, 2 adults and gear. We cruised around at various RPM`s as the engine is still breaking in and put a few good hours on her... the day was awesome! smooth to chop to rough to wind and back to smooth, up and down 2 rivers a great day in the books!

Fuel economy was not terrible for the paces we put her through... over the down time I`ll be installing a Davis Unified Ignition Distributor, mechanical advance, to remove the Thunderbolt IV set up.
                Also a new dash panel and layout with a few more gauges, and some other work/redesign of the rear hatch to prevent water from coming in the piano hinge... I`m looking to do a fiberglass hatch lid possible with better ventilation, IE air inlet since we really don`t lay on the sun pad...

That`s all for now!

NOTE: took a decent sized sample of the fuel in a mason jar and watched for phase separation, no water found in sample. Cut open the water fuel separator and no debris between pleats.
                Last edited by SeaDawg3; 10-18-2020, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post
                  UPDATE:! So as the season comes to an end here in the NE, I wanted to try a few things out before she gets some rest for the winter. I did source a reman Rochester, surprised to see it was def an 800CFM version! nice! Replaced the water separator/fuel filter, removed the 1" phenolic spacer that was under the Holley 650, bought new ARP carb studs and a Felpro Marine thick isolator carb gasket. I cleaned up and reused the original metal fuel line and removed the rubber hose and fittings used with the Holley.
                  Out of the box and after the fuel system was primed, the Rochester fired up. Had a small issue with the electric choke not opening correctly and the company sent a new marine electric choke thermostat which now opens fully within 2-3 minutes.

Last Run and water test was today and she ran marvelously! put another couple hrs on her. Also swapped props from the 14 x 19 four blade to a 14.5 x 17 4 blade. Come up on plane even faster, and response is quick. Overall I lost 5mph with this prop, BUT this is still a 50+ MPH boat at 4800 RPMs. I found my missing RPMs, and so far no fuel issues other than the water sep was full and water had reached the Holley minutely.

The one issue that boaters face with using a Rochester is if your cruising with the need to step into the secondaries, and there goes your economy. Im happy to say this boat will cruise 30-40`s very well on the primaries. in checking the RPM`s VS prop size 4800 was reached during WOT with 30 gallons of fuel, 2 adults and gear. We cruised around at various RPM`s as the engine is still breaking in and put a few good hours on her... the day was awesome! smooth to chop to rough to wind and back to smooth, up and down 2 rivers a great day in the books!

Fuel economy was not terrible for the paces we put her through... over the down time I`ll be installing a Davis Unified Ignition Distributor, mechanical advance, to remove the Thunderbolt IV set up.
                  Also a new dash panel and layout with a few more gauges, and some other work/redesign of the rear hatch to prevent water from coming in the piano hinge... I`m looking to do a fiberglass hatch lid possible with better ventilation, IE air inlet since we really don`t lay on the sun pad...

That`s all for now!

NOTE: took a decent sized sample of the fuel in a mason jar and watched for phase separation, no water found in sample. Cut open the water fuel separator and no debris between pleats.
                  So glad it came together for you..
                  2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's
                  2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Cool!!
                    Ever notice it always takes about 4 times longer than you anticipate? At least it does with meπŸ€ͺ
                    ’21 Fountain 38’ Tournament Edition
                    Triple Merc 400’s

Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Very nice. When I had an IO and water was an issue on the engine I took a small piece of aluminum C channell.and made a rain gutter under the hatch against the rear firewall/transom. Any water that went between the engine cover and the rear wall would run down into the gutter off to the sides into the bilge.

Comment

Wow! Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by neverthesame View Post
                          Wow! Great job!
                          Thank You!

Comment

Working...
                          X