Hey Fellas! been a dam long year rehabing this boat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Fellas! been a dam long year rehabing this boat!!!

Long story alert, grab a beer or coffee Hello gang! been a long time! finally got to run the boat after a year of accumulating parts. First I`ll start off with the Boat: 1994/95 Caravelle Legend 2000 BR with s call exhaust, supposed to weigh 2550 dry. Original power was a 5.0 LX Mercruiser with Alpha one Gen 2. The list is Looong to what I did to rehab this boat. The boat had 105 hrs of fresh water use and clean hull, the rest of it needed attention and the much needed maintenance. After rebuilding the engine hatch, new gunwales to our design, new rear bulkhead with access doors, seats, and other interior work while I was aquiring the many maint parts for the recommission. BC of covid19 and the weather this year it took longer than anticipated. Based on the low hours, cleanliness, and watching it run on the muffs the 5.0 LX received new GLM manifolds and riser, a New Edelbrock front and rear water crossover intake, and a Holly 650 spreadbore carb. New fuel pump, filters, hoses and parts. Tune up, NGK plugs, MSD wires and MSD coil. All new exhaust couplers. All new cooling hoses. New Quicksilver 4000 throttle control with Gen 2 cable upgrade. High torque gear reducted permanent magnet starter. Pair of AGM batteries, bat switch new +- cables, etc etc etc. lots of stuff.
    All was going well. The initial fire up went good, timing set carb pre adjusted, small external water leak at the Starboard riser gasket joint. the original torque spec was low, torqued later changed in the following years by mercruiser, so more bolt torque applied to 25ftlbs and leak stopped. Not thinking water was entering the exhaust.
    Since the starter was rated for more compression than what the 5.0 is @ 9.3:1 I could not tell some water had entered the number 8 cylinder, compressed causing the head gasket to blow and allow water to enter into the crankcase. meanwhile we are videoing the engine running smoothly for a few minutes up to temperature. How I found out> the following day went to change the oil and Bam engine full of water, diagnostics begin and within another day had done a leak down test to confirm a problem. Tear down the engine while in the hull and Starboard head gasket failed as well as I found 4 broken head bolts as if they disintegrated in the head. Weird thing is they had what appeared to be fresh thread sealant on them... bear in Mind I have no history on this boat other than a title search confirming the documents. I now know that the transom bracket, gimbal, Outdrive were at one time off this boat, OR this may not even be the original set up from the factory as the boat was originally marine mechanic owned. I suspect now the whole drive train was swapped at some point. But the engine casting number does indicate a 305.
    So hear I`m not thinking that a brand new GLM riser has a poor sealing surface just yet. I made the decision to order a reman 350 non vortec roller motor for the repower. Just didn`t want to spend the time or money on disassembly and checking the block for internal cracks, even tho the block and heads were spotless. This season is flying by.
    So now I remove the 5.0, clean the bilge, paint, find a wet transom, deal with that, a leaky bolt on the factory Y pipe. That Y pipe gets removed and a mercruiser block off plate gets installed.
    I soley go with new 4" wire bound exhaust hose to the transom thru hulls.

Put everything all back together this time with a new Weiand intake manifold, and changing the gear on the distributor to a bronze gear not knowing which material the roller cam is in the reman 350.

Fired up the new engine just long enough to set the ignition timing and pre idle speed, then shut down. My spider sense told me to check the plugs on the starboard side, and yep found a bit of water in number 8. UGH. So all the plugs came out, and the motor was spun over, a bit of water came out of 8, so it was flushed with CRC storage oil, checked and I dodge a bullet.

Now I`m checking that same riser and found the sealing surface is .012 to .014 out. While all this was going on I ordered another new GLM 51140 riser and right out of the box it is not trued. At this time the company is not doing anything about it regardless of pictures/proof.

The replacement riser was trued and installed, and the boat is back up and running... sea trial was Monday the 10th, and the seas were a bit rough to lay into her, but the rough waters also served to load the engine more for what run time I could allow. She survived, she`s back on the trailer waiting for a few more upgrades to minor electrical needs.

Whew, been a long year!

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090639.png
Views:	305
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	91672Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090640.png
Views:	281
Size:	3.97 MB
ID:	91673Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090641.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	91674Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090643.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	91675

You are the MAN!
    Thanks for sharing 😊.
    BWP

Comment

Glad you getting it down to the final touches. Great job.
      Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
        You are the MAN!
        Thanks for sharing 😊.
        BWP
        Thank you guys! in all my years of wrenching I`ve never had any project give me so much grief. 2 steps forward, one step back. Finding the head bolts disintegrated into the threaded holes in the block was a game changer and the need to repower. Hopefully I`ll get more break in time soon. Need to reprop, have a post into Ken.

Comment

Awesome job!!! Now go enjoy her!
          95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
          Seaford, De
          Curtis

Comment

I'm interested in your breather set up, can you shed some light on it, like a part number or link to where you purchased?
            I can't help but think if I was a better person I could've been a dog. 🐕

Chet
            Amesbury, MA (work in Boston)
            1987 2855 Bayliner Contessa SB
            How can I help you?

Comment

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post
              I'm interested in your breather set up, can you shed some light on it, like a part number or link to where you purchased?
              sure thing,
              Moroso breather tank part number MOR85473
              Edelbrock 90 degree elbow fittings part number EDEL8163 You can use a cheaper fitting ie: brass
              Silicone hose > https://www.siliconehose.com/0-5000-...e-vacuum-hose/

Comment

Dang.. Glad you know how to do all of that.. That kind of stuff could get expensive fast.. real fast..
                2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's
                2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post

sure thing,
                  Moroso breather tank part number MOR85473
                  Edelbrock 90 degree elbow fittings part number EDEL8163 You can use a cheaper fitting ie: brass
                  Silicone hose > https://www.siliconehose.com/0-5000-...e-vacuum-hose/
                  That's exactly what I need, I currently have two Summit Racing breathers that will start to drip after a long haul, that will not only reduce them to one but capture oil residue; that and it looks like my current breathers would fit (spares).

Thanks for your time.

Chet
                  How can I help you?

Comment

Originally posted by Boat Bum View Post

That's exactly what I need, I currently have two Summit Racing breathers that will start to drip after a long haul, that will not only reduce them to one but capture oil residue; that and it looks like my current breathers would fit (spares).

Thanks for your time.
                    NP, the old school hot rodder in me thought of that. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
                      Dang.. Glad you know how to do all of that.. That kind of stuff could get expensive fast.. real fast..
                      I have a ton of hours into this. I could have bought a better boat. But then again I`d be going through that one as well.
                      A lot of small things, from removing over 5ft of harness wire that was just thrown back by the battery, fabricating a Carb throttle lever extension to keep the same ratio of travel for the new Quicksilver 4000, and adapting that harness, relocating the outdrive lube reservoir bottle bc I didn`t want any brackets on the intake manifold bolts. easier to retorque.
                      Plus the breather tank bracket also fabricated. Cut to length MSD 8.8 ignition wires, MSD coil.

Before I could even start repowering I had to build a Gantry to hoist the engine with a chain fall... 😉

what really gets me, is when we moved back to NJ from NC we sold our SeaHunt 172, I loved that boat, who knew we would wind up back on the water. but I`m not bottom painting this boat, so it sits on the trailer for now.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDawg3 View Post

NP, the old school hot rodder in me thought of that. 😁
                        I found a complete kit, thanks again; I can't wait to do this.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SABEgIqW_D_BwE

Chet
                        How can I help you?

Comment

Nice job on the rebuild. It doesn't surprise me new parts are out of tolerance. I see it even on industrial OEM parts.

Comment

update: ok, so far so good after the timing cover seal repair . 3rd hour run in, boats performing well, new reman engine is loosening up. Tried a 4 blade 14x19, what a huge difference in planing off and mid range acceleration. 3500rpms showed 40 mph on the GPS. Goosed it to over 4K and saw 46.9. Now that the carb is purged of air from last time out, stepping into the secondaries is smooth and responsive. If all goes well this will be a nice little quick cruising boat.

Comment

Hey SeaDawg, it's only fair I share my little breather collection tank project that you inspired. Not quite as nice as yours but it's solid; thanks again!

Name:	breather2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	675.5 KB
ID:	94645

Name:	breather4.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	708.1 KB
ID:	94646

Chet
                              How can I help you?

Comment

Working...
                              X