The constant rebuild of an old girl - well, not that old

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The constant rebuild of an old girl - well, not that old

Stout engine, sick driveline, woeful electrics, when she came home in 2013. Not any more.
    Rod Rogers
    Pescadora
    Carolina Classic 25, hull #60, 1995
    8.1 Volvo, Stainless Marine Exhaust

Cool! So that big hull does well in freshwater?
    That's like an ocean going deep V, read your introduction, sounds like a big lake.
    Enjoy.
    BWP

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

Typically a 20 mile run out to prime fishing areas. Sometimes less at certain times of the year. Thirty miles long, fifteen wide at the widest, 350 ft deep and crystal water where you can see your flasher at 40ft down. Primary target species are Lake Trout and Lake Superior Whitefish. Troll ocean style for Lake Trout, but with outriggers AND downriggers. All depths from 30ft to 225 feet. Can go deeper as the troll is slow at 1.7mph, but deeper than that no light. Which means few hits. Stay at the light boundary (225) and you're good.

Lake is 2850 feet above sea level, and while the ECM fuels accordingly, I lose some horsepower. Probably 340hp instead of 375. Couple of kts off top end, but who does that? Cruise at 3400rpm and 27kts in flat water. 18kts upwind in a blow. 12.5-13 gph typically. Maybe 14 with the tabs down and driving into serious chop. Big engine gets me there, kicker with TR-1 autopilot does the troll.

I've run fishing charters since 2009. My previous boat was a Yamaha F150 powered "tin" Crestliner. "Wetliner". It's a legendary fishing machine. Still in charter service in our fleet on it's third owner since me. But, man, what a miserable beast when the wind gets up. I added tabs, hydraulic seat posts and SAS seats, but there's only so much you can do with a bluff bowed, lightweight hull with a heavy (for class) four stroke on the transom. After four consecutive all-day charters in June of 2012, in miserable weather, where I burned 12-14 gph to go 9 mph up wind (for 25 miles), that was the END. Went looking for something that could handle OBX or Hatteras. With an enclosure. And trailerable. Got that.

And so...Pacific Northwest Albies? Why not? And since that is so much fun, how about Dorado in the 'stream? Cudjoe Key in 2016. Long tow.
        Rod Rogers
        Pescadora

Comment

I'm impressed, I live by a large lake, It's only 12-15 feet deep, however, 1 inch of water is 12 billion gallons of water, not to hard to guess where in South Florida.
          BWP

Comment

That's great! You can ignore my questions in the intro thread.... I hadn't seen this before posting there.

I'd love to see some pics of Flathead Lake catches.

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
              I'm impressed, I live by a large lake, It's only 12-15 feet deep, however, 1 inch of water is 12 billion gallons of water, not to hard to guess where in South Florida.
              BWP
              That's pretty cool. Let's see...Average depth = 13.5 feet, which is 162 inches, times 12 billion gallons. So 1.944 trillion gallons.

Okay, Flathead Lake has 5 cubic miles of water in it's basin. Check that out.
              Rod Rogers
              Pescadora

Comment

I just did clear water Don't see that on Lake Okeechobee, great picture of lady on floating mattress over such gorgeous water.
                Neat place to boat, thanks for sharing.
                Hint-google Flatheat lake, it'll show.
                BWP

Comment

Working...
                X