Mississippi Pelagics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi Pelagics

Spent my first day offshore in the CapeHorn this past weekend. And I am hooked on deep water, big fish! We were fishing artificial reefs and natural bottom at about 80’ deep off the Mississippi Coast catching Snapper and Trigger. How far out, or how deep do we need to be searching to start hitting Tuna, swords, mahi and other big game fish? Not expecting anyone’s coordinates, just general information.

My first post here. Not sure where you are running out of in MS. But to hit deep water you have a long run. Just out of OS/Biloxi or Gulfport its at least a 70 kn mile run to decent water. Many days to hit blue water much much further. If you have not run that far before better start studying some charts and learn to watch the weather. You also need to know your boat really well. Things like fuel burn, etc will allow you to do the proper planning. Once you have some charts start deciding on what you want to target and focus on those species each trip. I would also recommend a subscription to something like Hiltons Real Time Navigator. It's a couple hundred $$$'s every year but you will save more than that in fuel the first time you use it. It also has some awesome bathymetric charts. You can also do trip planning and see how long your runs will be. Making choices based on real information makes those long trips pay off.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Capt. Jon View Post
      My first post here. Not sure where you are running out of in MS. But to hit deep water you have a long run. Just out of OS/Biloxi or Gulfport its at least a 70 kn mile run to decent water. Many days to hit blue water much much further. If you have not run that far before better start studying some charts and learn to watch the weather. You also need to know your boat really well. Things like fuel burn, etc will allow you to do the proper planning. Once you have some charts start deciding on what you want to target and focus on those species each trip. I would also recommend a subscription to something like Hiltons Real Time Navigator. It's a couple hundred $$$'s every year but you will save more than that in fuel the first time you use it. It also has some awesome bathymetric charts. You can also do trip planning and see how long your runs will be. Making choices based on real information makes those long trips pay off.

Good Luck!
      Thanks for the reply Capt. Jon, yes I’m heading out of OS, furthest I’ve been out is 30 miles so far. Currently looking into installing Radar on the boat to help with the weather concerns. I have a range radius of 65 using 1/4 there 1/4 around 1/4 back 1/4 safety buffer math. What species can I expect to find in the 50 miles range?

Comment

With that type of range your rig fishing is limited. I would start working wrecks and obstructions off the islands. Here you can catch bottom fish and chum for kings, ling, etc. Build or buy yourself a wreck hook. Best item for anchoring amongst the wrecks. You will need to put your homework in as good obstruction number are held close to the vest by most fishermen.

Comment

Working...
        X