Abacos are All Booked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abacos are All Booked

Ok, we are excited for the Abacos. I took Ole's advice, made an itinerary and called in reservations at all the marinas. It is looking like the following, based upon weather of course.

Saturday May 28 leave Port Canaveral early and run the coast south. Cut across somewhere around St Lucie to West End and clear customs. Staying the night at Blue Marlin. 153 miles approx.

Sunday May 29 run across the bank to Green Turtle and stay at the Green Turtle Club for a few days. 115 miles

Wednesday June 1 run south to Elbow and hang at the Hope Town Marina for a couple days. 27 miles

Friday June 3 run up to Spanish Cay for the night.45 miles

Saturday June 4 run to West End and stay at Old Bahama Bay. 100 miles

Sunday June 5 Clear Out of Customs and cross towards Ft Pierce then run the coast up to Port Canaveral.

Total run (not counting fishing and side trips) is +/- 600 miles. I figure loaded we will use a bit more fuel than normal and am figuring at 2.5 gallons per mile so around 1,500 gallons without side trips and fishing.

If anyone is planning on being in the Abacos during that time, let me know and it would be great to meet up for some beers.

Nice itienerary.
    When you are Elbow. If you snorkle, Look up Barracuda Reef. Over by Marsh. Looks like shit on the surface, great little shallow reef. Or was before the hurricane.
    Rent a boat or go to Pete:s Pub for the day. You won't regret it.
    Tahiti Beach for a short day trip.
    looking forward to a report with piktures.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Great planning!! I don't think I've ever done something like that..... except when I drove cross country once....I knew I had to be at my Grams birthday party which started @ 3 on a Saturday...I got there at 3:20 with a trunk full of fireworks....had a blast!!!!! Literally...🙂

Good morning 🌞

Great day all
      🙂

Comment

1500 gallons, my kind of trip!!
        Seriously, make a YouTube video of it, woohoo 🎉!

Sounds like a plan!

BWP

Comment

YES, sounds awesome!

LOVED Elbow Key (stayed at the Octagon House at the southern tip) where entering the lagoon looked like heading over to Gilligan's Island!. Also loved Pete's Pub and the foundry tour. Even wade fly-fished and hooked a permit myself ... but never landed it. Did get some bones though, what a hoot! And did some free driving for conchs ...

'Back in the day' when I was there, we'd make restaurant dinner reservations by VHF radio and cruise over in the Whaler. They'd say "From where you are, take a heading of XX degrees for X distance, etc."

The water everywhere was feakin 'Tidy Bowl' blue!
          Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Nice!
            What is an anticipated cruising speed for your Tiara?

Comment

It cruises at 25mph. I have each leg planned out by miles/fuel and time. I split up the long runs so I can leave early and be in the marina right around or after lunch.

I usually made the run straight to Green Turtle with no stops but I always had a fast boat and could cruise in the high 40's to 50's.

The last trip was a month before Dorian wiped out the Abacos. That one was in my old 41 Tiara and it cruised at 20mph. That was one Long trip so I broke this one up a bit.

Comment

Super bummed today. I haven't taken a day off since last October. Was supposed to leave for the Bahamas this morning at 6:00am and be there 9 days. I have been watching the fuel prices over there and diesel is at or over $7 per gallon. JUST fuel would have cost me $10,500.00. Thats just to get there and back. No side trips, fishing, marinas, food or beer. Nothing else.

600 miles to and from. 2.5 Gallons per mile.
                1500 gallons @ $7per =$10,500.00

Comment

Go…
                  We’ll start a gofundme or something for you😀

Comment

Do you lose your room deposit? I got a hose, you can siphon a few tanks if it helps.
                    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Didn't book any rooms only marinas. We were going to stay on the boat.
                      Oh well. I figure diesel will come back down a little in the future and I will head over then.

Comment

• LFBB
                        LFBB commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I got a sail for sale.

Originally posted by DaleH View Post
                      YES, sounds awesome!

LOVED Elbow Key (stayed at the Octagon House at the southern tip) where entering the lagoon looked like heading over to Gilligan's Island!. Also loved Pete's Pub and the foundry tour. Even wade fly-fished and hooked a permit myself ... but never landed it. Did get some bones though, what a hoot! And did some free driving for conchs ...

'Back in the day' when I was there, we'd make restaurant dinner reservations by VHF radio and cruise over in the Whaler. They'd say "From where you are, take a heading of XX degrees for X distance, etc."

The water everywhere was feakin 'Tidy Bowl' blue!
                      Elbow Key...1972. Had a cousin who owned property in White Sound. Pristine, primitive. Only power was Generators. Lister diesels. Thump thump. Rain water cisterns. Everything on the Island was broken. Atlantic beaches were covered with tar...had special "beach shoes" to walk on those beaches. Neat Lighthouse. Booze was CHEAP.

Comment

Working...
                      X