Fishable Ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And a new follow up---all is starting to melt and we already had our first ice rescue from a flow that broke loose near Cleveland; here we go

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post

That video is great! Nice example of farmer engineering at it's finest.

I'm curious what the semi was doing out on the ice, do you happen to know? Does the lake just become a shipping shortcut in the winter?
      He had the road plowed all winter. Super wide, but it get narrower over the winter from fresh and blowing snow. The banks get so high and frozen that you can't move them. So the Road part freezes more and more, while the ice under the Bank is insulated and doesn't freeze thicker.

He had been running the empty truck up and loaded truck back by Land. The Ice Road saved 2 hours of driving each Haul. The weekend before we got a real Thraw, melted most of the snow off the ice, then a Hard Freeze. After a few days of -40F he decided to Haul a full load on the Ice Road. 47"s of Ice, but only about 12"s under the Banks. The Warm/Freeze sheared the Ice all the way along the Bank.

He made it about 2 miles, where the road was narrowest, and the Bank broke flipping the Loaded Truck into the lake.24 Cords of Pine in the hole also, aswell as him. He got out, wet and -40F, 2 mile walk to any help, when his thremos of Coffee popped out of the hole!

Comment

Well it happened, as it does every year. Thursday Night a Local Fellow lost his life on the Ice when his 4 wheeler went through.

I might be the First person on the Ice yearly, but I am definitely not the Last one on. I have been Wet many more times in the Spring than the beginning of the year.

It was a weird year this year. The Ice didn't Lift in the normal Airhole Swirling way, it drained through the ice overnight. Monday the 8th AM, Wet, PM 1/2 the way to the cabin lifted, Tuesday the 9th the other 1/2 was dry.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
          Well it happened, as it does every year. Thursday Night a Local Fellow lost his life on the Ice when his 4 wheeler went through.

I might be the First person on the Ice yearly, but I am definitely not the Last one on. I have been Wet many more times in the Spring than the beginning of the year.

It was a weird year this year. The Ice didn't Lift in the normal Airhole Swirling way, it drained through the ice overnight. Monday the 8th AM, Wet, PM 1/2 the way to the cabin lifted, Tuesday the 9th the other 1/2 was dry.
          Sad to hear that.
          As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
          2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

The thaw was quick on Lake Erie and well advertised ahead so we got lucky this year; only a few fools had to be rescued and no loss of life. thankfully

Comment

Working...
            X