Red 'CHARGE' light stays on after starting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Red 'CHARGE' light stays on after starting

    After two summers and a winter of virtually no use I go down to the boat (Hunter 27) to check on things and one of the batteries is showing no voltage on the built in meter right by the battery switch. So I replace it with another deep cycle marine battery and lo and behold both batteries show normal charge now.

    So I start the Yanmar diesel engine before I leave to make sure everythings ok and it starts and runs fine but a red light on the control panel next to where you insert the key stays on the whole time the engine is running...about 5 mins. It says 'CHARGE.' I'm assuming this means the batteries aren't charging possibly?

    Can anybody tell me what this means and what I need to do to fix this fast?

    I wonder if somehow this 'no charge' condition is what lead to the one battery showing no charge on the voltage meter. Possibility?, but I would guess the other battery would have shown no charge as well. I dunno.

    Second question is...does my diesel Yanmar engine use any charge from the batteries when it's running? As far as the engine is concerned, is the only time it uses the batteries is when it's starting? If I recall correctly diesel combusts in the cylinder just by compressing it. If this is the case, since my 2 deep cycle marine batteries can crank the engine for a really long time, I could reasonably expect to take a day trip out say if I only needed to start the engine probably twice, even if the charging system was somehow faulty.

    I took pictures of the before wiring and checked 3 times after I got the new battery in, so I'm almost positive the wiring was reconstructed correctly.

    To be honest, I'm willing to risk it a little because, well, I got a hot date planned!


    Thanks for your help.



  • #2
    Good luck!
    BWP

    Comment


    • #3
      Pull the negative off the batteries one at a time with the engine running. See if it stalls out. Others are probably better at giving this advice. Isn’t a Hunter 27 a sailboat? I guess if worse comes to worse and something happens, put the sheets up. Maybe ask your date if she has a Seatow membership as well.

      Good luck on the boat and date!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Depends on the age of the engine. Modern diesels are digitally controlled, but older ones were not.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bradleyheathhays View Post
          After two summers and a winter of virtually no use I go down to the boat (Hunter 27) to check on things and one of the batteries is showing no voltage on the built in meter right by the battery switch. So I replace it with another deep cycle marine battery and lo and behold both batteries show normal charge now.

          So I start the Yanmar diesel engine before I leave to make sure everythings ok and it starts and runs fine but a red light on the control panel next to where you insert the key stays on the whole time the engine is running...about 5 mins. It says 'CHARGE.' I'm assuming this means the batteries aren't charging possibly?

          Can anybody tell me what this means and what I need to do to fix this fast?

          I wonder if somehow this 'no charge' condition is what lead to the one battery showing no charge on the voltage meter. Possibility?, but I would guess the other battery would have shown no charge as well. I dunno.

          Second question is...does my diesel Yanmar engine use any charge from the batteries when it's running? As far as the engine is concerned, is the only time it uses the batteries is when it's starting? If I recall correctly diesel combusts in the cylinder just by compressing it. If this is the case, since my 2 deep cycle marine batteries can crank the engine for a really long time, I could reasonably expect to take a day trip out say if I only needed to start the engine probably twice, even if the charging system was somehow faulty.

          I took pictures of the before wiring and checked 3 times after I got the new battery in, so I'm almost positive the wiring was reconstructed correctly.

          To be honest, I'm willing to risk it a little because, well, I got a hot date planned!


          Thanks for your help.

          I'll bite Kemp,
          What is the Model number of the Yanmar?
          Did you raise the RPM about 700 when you ran the engine?
          Did you look at the voltmeter next to the battery switch when the engine ws running? What did it read?
          Welcome to the forum.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          954.463.4904
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

          [email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

          Member of the MSHS Group

          Comment


          • #6
            Does the engine have a fuel shut off solenoid ?, I'd say if it does once you lose battery power it would shut off the fuel and stop the engine.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

              I'll bite Kemp,
              What is the Model number of the Yanmar?
              Did you raise the RPM about 700 when you ran the engine?
              Did you look at the voltmeter next to the battery switch when the engine ws running? What did it read?
              Welcome to the forum.
              Kemper has a Hunter 27?

              Pics of the date?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

                I'll bite Kemp,
                What is the Model number of the Yanmar?
                Did you raise the RPM about 700 when you ran the engine?
                Did you look at the voltmeter next to the battery switch when the engine ws running? What did it read?
                Welcome to the forum.
                Nope, not me but I found this post from a different site that seems to be from the same poster with a similar name. Even mentions the hot date. This one is dated Jan 10 of this year.

                http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2987683

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

                  Nope, not me but I found this post from a different site that seems to be from the same poster with a similar name. Even mentions the hot date. This one is dated Jan 10 of this year.

                  http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2987683
                  CORRECTION - The above post that states a date of Jan 10 is actually suppose to be Oct 1 of this year. Dates on that site are listed differently. He may still have the problem. It was suggested to him, as Ole recommended, that the light may go off at higher rpm. Which can be from a charging issue due to a loose belt not spinning the alternator properly or it may be an alternator failure.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X