• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing batteries and battery switches

Boat Year and Make
    1989 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
    Twin Yamaha 150s

I am wanting to move the batteries off the transom and either down below the deck or in another location on the boat. Suggestions are welcome. Should I move them out of the compartment that is in the same as where the fuel lines are? The other reason I want to get this done is the switches appear to be old and are not hooked up properly. Meaning, each engine is separated, so if a battery dies for some reason, I cannot switch the first switch from 1 to 2 and it be able to start the Starboard engine.

Questions:
    What is the options for switches?
    What are the options for batteries?

For batteries I was thinking about either just upgrading from 12v to Gel. Would there be any benefit in adding another battery or switching from 12v to 24v batteries?

I am also a bit OCD so the setup currently bugs me.

I can take pictures of the aft and the battery section but honestly don't want to scare you.. lol

A pic would help.
    Getting them out of the bilge would be good.
    24v will not help, you would need to change everything in the boat and engine electrically.
    Settup is not horible, I would add a parrelle switch though.
    Switching to gels is good if the batteries will be in the console.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I will post pictures this weekend of where I would like to relocate them.

What type of switches and batteries do you recommend? I was thinking two of the bluesea switches but don't know.

Comment

Also do you have any experience in solar? I want to add a solar charger to keep the batteries charged up while in storage.

thanks,

Comment

Depending on the type of batteries, solar isn't a great option. Deep cycle for instance, you don't want to let them keep being trickle topped up. They're meant to empty and fill.

The setup you have isn't bad, you just need a switch like parker said to switch it so you can run either engine off the other bank. However, if you have a malfunction that destroys the battery, connecting via the switch to the other bank may infect that battery.

So switches for each battery to their engines like you have.
          Switches allowing you to cross from one battery bank to the other engine.

Do you have house batteries for each engine also?

Some might call it overkill doing all this, but if you're changing it, then I'd go ahead and do it right.

Make sure you calculate the proper wire gauge needed for your extended run so you're getting the full amps to the engines.
          >> Pet Friendly Hotels
          >> Life on a Rock
          >> SEO Hero

Comment

Reviving this thread as I will be starting this project soon.

Will have pictures this weekend to help decide where to place the batteries.
            I am not trying to over complicating it.

First question, with dual engines what is the recommended batteries numbers? Some are telling me two per engine and others are saying 1 starting, one house is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by zemuss View Post
              Reviving this thread as I will be starting this project soon.

Will have pictures this weekend to help decide where to place the batteries.
              I am not trying to over complicating it.

First question, with dual engines what is the recommended batteries numbers? Some are telling me two per engine and others are saying 1 starting, one house is fine.
              Depending on electronics and use, (IE: Sand bar blaster?) we use at least three batteries for twins, one per engine and the third for house, if there are a lot of electronics, an additional house battery for four total.

Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

Depending on electronics and use, (IE: Sand bar blaster?) we use at least three batteries for twins, one per engine and the third for house, if there are a lot of electronics, an additional house battery for four total.
                This is a good rule of thumb. I think most twin boats have three unless you need some extra sandbar time. BEP makes a nice panel to handle three batts.

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - jim@boemarine.com

Comment

Ok so what batteries do you use Parker Yacht

I do hang at the Sand Bars but normally don't play much music as there is usually a "DJ" on a boat.

Thanks,

Comment

yachtjim do you have a link to the panel?

Is it this one BEP CC-803N

Comment

Boat Year and Make
                      1989 Grady White 232 Gulfstream
                      Twin Yamaha 150s

I am wanting to move the batteries off the transom and either down below the deck or in another location on the boat. Should I move them out of the compartment that is in the same as where the fuel lines are? Meaning, each engine is separated, so if a battery dies for some reason, I cannot switch the first switch from 1 to 2 and it be able to start the Starboard engine.

Questions:
                      What is the options for switches?
                      What are the options for batteries?

For batteries I was thinking about either just upgrading from 12v to Gel. Would there be any benefit in adding another battery or switching from 12v to 24v batteries?
                      I am also a bit OCD so the setup currently bugs me.

I can take pictures of the aft and the battery section but honestly don't want to scare you.. lol
                      Are these 2 strokes?
                      Seems to me I would keep this on the K.I.S.S principle.
                      I would (personally) just keep the two battery set-up, change them to a Group 27 or 31, and put a parallel switch in. So each engine on it's own switch and battery, then another switch between the batteries, this would normally be "off" and you would turn "on" to parallel if needed.
                      NO on the 24v battery set-up.
                      Yes, on the Gel, we use Odyssey, but I would switch to the Deka Gel.
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

I run a single engine, and have 4 batteries, two for engine in parallel and two for house, in parallel that can be switched to provide power to the engine. Probably overkill, but I never have a battery issue. I would have at least one for each engine, and then two for house. Electronics don't like to run on low voltage

Comment

Going to do just that Parker. BTW I was at your shop the other day picking up a PVC valve.

Comment

Going to do just that Parker. BTW I was at your shop the other day picking up a PVC valve.
                            PVC? or PCV?
                            Engine Sales and Service
                            Ph +1 954.463.1515
                            Fx +1

oparker@parkeryacht.com
                            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

caught by Auto Correct.

PCV. Or that slang term Poppet Valve.

Comment