Yellow wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow wire?

I’m going to run the power for my new Simrad Go7. I’ve read the instruction manual and I see a yellow wire that is optional. I have a blue seas fuse box with negative bus (see picture). The blue wire is an alarm which I won’t use, I’ll just put electrical tape on it.

What about the yellow wire? Is it needed or can I just tape it off. If I do, can I still power off the unit with the button? I’m a bit confused as to what it does.

Thank you.
    Attached Files

it sounds like the yellow wire goes to a switched 12V source, like key ON, which would automatically turn the unit on when power was applied...
    I would just hook up the red to +< and the Black to - and try the switch on the unit to turn on and off...
    Auto ON would be nice if you wanted or needed it to come on with key power or Battery switch...
    I`m curious about this Auto thing.

BUT, would you want it to Turn on, when the boat is out of the water, and you turn on the power to do something on the boat. I don`t turn on any device with a transducer when the boat is not in the water.
    Am I thinking about this correctly?
    1994/5 Caravelle Legend 2000, HOT Mercruiser 350 Alpha 1
    2007 Angler 204WA Mercury 150HP Opti
    "Pale Rider Performance"

Comment

Both my chartplotter and stereo are on accessory switches. Trim tabs are powered when ignition is on.

Comment

• SeaDawg3
        SeaDawg3 commented
        Editing a comment
        That`s what I`m in the process of correcting now. the Bus Bar at the helm in which the trim tabs are connected to comes from the Common terminal on the battery switch. My Lowrance, Stereo and VHF will have separate power from a switched fused source.

That’s what I thought the yellow wire was for. I’m just going to tape it off. Hook up red and black and hopefully it all works! Thank you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
        That’s what I thought the yellow wire was for. I’m just going to tape it off. Hook up red and black and hopefully it all works! Thank you!!
        My understanding is that the wire would be used for an item like an amp. Turn on the stereo, the amp detects the power via the yellow wire and automatically powers up. That example may not fit your particular installation needs.

Comment

Working...
        X