Heading Sensor Issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading Sensor Issue.

I have a Garmin 7215 with a Simrad RC25 Rate Compass. Somehow it is hooked into the Garmin and my Garmin Autopilot through a Furuno RD33 display. If the furuno is off I get neither the compass of depth. I have looked at all the menus and tried to find a way to reset the compass but it doesn't even show on the device list on the Garmin. I also have a Furuno Navnet unit on the dash that I use for Radar and depth finder while the Garmin is used solely for navigation. I figure the PO had it set up somehow and just lived with the deviation in heading.

If I replace the unit with a regular plug and play Garmin compass, which one would be the best? I figure I will be upgrading the older Garmin 7215 someday in the next year so I want a compass that is going to work with what ever I upgrade to.

Here is my dash. Click image for larger version  Name:	20210704_180434.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	148307

Why would you run a digital compass into that when you have GPS?
    I get into that menu, set it up for GPS and run True headings.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I find when looking for a bottom spot at very slow speed a heading sensor helps to keep awareness of position relative to the mark. It also helps the autopilot keep a better heading

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
        I find when looking for a bottom spot at very slow speed a heading sensor helps to keep awareness of position relative to the mark. It also helps the autopilot keep a better heading
        Hmmmmmm.
        Seems you are in the middle of small bote and big bote technology, uses and equipment.
        Tech has moved since that was all installed, what you have there is a compilation of different manufactures all trying to talk the same language.
        While true a mag heading sensor works better in a stationary position, new GPS with an External Ant can do that, and most certainly can keep a course the same on A/P.
        I don't know if that 7215 has an Ext ant installed or not, but if it doesn't, the internal ant shooting through the hardtop is not ideal.
        A good A/P course will be a VERY long "S", anything "straight" is putting undo wear on the A/P and components.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

My entire system just went down on the Viking when the rd33 died. Not a great system and unsure why it was run through that instead of one of the many many gps receivers on the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeO View Post
            My entire system just went down on the Viking when the rd33 died. Not a great system and unsure why it was run through that instead of one of the many many gps receivers on the boat!
            Personally I have never believed in FluxGate compasses. If you are going to do that, get a true Gyro.
            That being said, I would pull from GPS and use the FluxGate as a back up.
            But hey, what do I know----.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I originally thought that someone had just messed with the settings during the boat show....... I wasn't aware that we were pulling off the furuno and not from GPS and I've been running the boat for 5 years

Comment

The Garmin has an external antenna as does the Furuno. Shoot, even the VFH has a GPS antenna.

I think what I am going to do is buy a Garmin heading sensor and uninstal the simrad. At least with the Garmin sensor it will give me a setup screen to calibrate it with. Now, keeping in mind that I am going to upgrade the Garmin in the next year, which sensor should I buy?

Comment

Working...
                X