What Garmin Radardome unit is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Garmin Radardome unit is this?

My new boat has a new Garmin Radardome and it was advertised as a 24” 4K unit but when I went online, I only see two units, a 24” HD model and a 24” MotionScope unit that is 40K. Can anyone tell by this picture what unit I have? Also, does it need to be tilted or is it installed correctly?

That looks like the Fantom 24, their best dome.

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - [email protected]

Comment

It is installed with a tilt so that while you are up in plane it is level with the horizon. If they didn't do that all you would see forward are very tall ships and bords.

Comment

• DaleH
        DaleH commented
        Editing a comment
        ... birds?????

• Sans Peur
        Sans Peur commented
        Editing a comment
        Birds!

Although, that's kind of my main reason for radar is to spot birds.

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
      It is installed with a tilt so that while you are up in plane it is level with the horizon. If they didn't do that all you would see forward are very tall ships and bords.
      Thank you! That makes sense! I have never had radar before so I need some schooling. Do you run your radar most of the time or only when it is bad weather or when you are looking for birds? How hard is it to find birds? I guess it can’t find weedlines?

Comment

• DaleH
        DaleH commented
        Editing a comment
        Run your radar NOW ... when you can 'see' ... to orient yourself to what you see vs. what the radar shows you. Run/use it to the point where that using it, even just adjusting the controls/functions, becomes 2nd nature. Then when you REALLY NEED IT ... you'll be fine with using it!

My old boat had a 24kw garmin with a 4' open array. On calm days it could pick up weed lines if you tuned really tight.

I mainly use it only when I am looking for birds or in bad weather.

Comment

Originally posted by Cregeis View Post

Thank you! That makes sense! I have never had radar before so I need some schooling. Do you run your radar most of the time or only when it is bad weather or when you are looking for birds? How hard is it to find birds? I guess it can’t find weedlines?
        The way it's pointing you can spot a seagull taking a pee squatting on the water 10' off your bow when you are idling. :-)))))))
        Turn it on, get used to it, learn it, learn to tune it. Then, don't use it at docks. But, know it, practice with it, that way when you need it, it's a very valuable tool.
        Engine Sales and Service
        Ph +1 954.463.1515
        Fx +1
        Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
        www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

If you do find birds then turn on the radar and drive away from them 1/2mile 1mile etc so you get to know what the return looks like on your screen from a flock of birds.

Comment

Love my Fantom 24. At night it's a necessity and during the day it can really help by identifying boat approaching (red), departing (green), or anchored/drifting (blue). Here's a storm hanging over where I needed to go. Watched it on radar until it left and then headed to the dock.
            Attached Files
            Richard - Sailfish 245DC
            Virginia Beach

Comment

Working...
            X