Garmin MFD advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmin MFD advice

I'm looking to upgrade my existing Garmin 73SV. Only reason is wanting a bigger screen.

Once it's not pouring down rain, I need to do some measuring, but I don't think I can fit a 12" unit, so at the moment, based on net searching I'm looking at the UHD94SV or 1042xsv.

I currently have a GT52 HW-TM transducer and would prefer not to replace it. Both of those units say that is a compatible transducer but my question is... is it the right transducer for those MFD's? Anything I'm missing?

I should add I'm not really interested in a purely touchscreen unit. Too much of my boating is when it's cold, wet, snowing, or all of the above. Touchscreens hate me even without adding gloves or wet screens in to the mix.
    Bob

S Central PA

Originally posted by duckfish View Post
    I'm looking to upgrade my existing Garmin 73SV. Only reason is wanting a bigger screen.

Once it's not pouring down rain, I need to do some measuring, but I don't think I can fit a 12" unit, so at the moment, based on net searching I'm looking at the UHD94SV or 1042xsv.

I currently have a GT52 HW-TM transducer and would prefer not to replace it. Both of those units say that is a compatible transducer but my question is... is it the right transducer for those MFD's? Anything I'm missing?

I should add I'm not really interested in a purely touchscreen unit. Too much of my boating is when it's cold, wet, snowing, or all of the above. Touchscreens hate me even without adding gloves or wet screens in to the mix.
    I have the 7610xsv and while I do really like the touchscreen...there are times offshore and running and bait hands that...... I wish I had went with the knobs.
    Seems like the smart choice for your application.

Sorry I cant provide input on the transducer question. Theyve never been my forte

Comment

I’ve put 94SV’s in my last two boats. One I added a in-hull transducer, the other I used the existing dual frequency thru-hull. I think the only feature you’d be giving up with your existing transducer is the Panoptix. The G3 base maps have much more detail than the previous G2 maps.
      It is touchscreen, but for most operations the icons are decent size once you have it set up the way you like.

Comment

Those are both nice units. I'd prefer the 1042xsv simply because of the added screen size. The Echomap Ultra 106SV is a nice one too. The echomaps give you touch and buttons making it the best of both worlds. The GT52 will be appropriate for any of these.

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - [email protected]

Comment

Oh, one I missed. Thanks Jim!

Some questions:

With the UHD models, I saw they come with a uhd transducer. Do you have any sense of what I'd be giving up sticking with my G52?

Do spec dimensions include the mounting base or are they head unit only? Where can I find total dimensions mounted on the base? Couldn't come up with them anywhere on Garmin's site.

Do you have the 106SV & 1042xsv in stock? Care to shoot me a price?

Bob

S Central PA

Comment

UHD is beneficial in 75' or less. It uses their newest elements and does offer better resolution.

The dimensions they publish are the overall dimensions of the unit, not including the bracket or knobs. a half inch of width should cover both knobs and 1" for the bracket.

11.6" x 7.7" x 3.9" (295 x 195 x 98 mm)
            106SV is in stock https://www.boemarine.com/garmin-ech...ransducer.html

1042xsv is also in stock https://www.boemarine.com/garmin-gps...ransducer.html

Prices at links

Jim Maier - www.BOEmarine.com - 866-735-5926 x104 - [email protected]

Comment

• duckfish
              duckfish commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Jim.
          Working...
          X