Hurricanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is where my mother lives(the pin drop under the Bokeelia):

Click image for larger version  Name:	90DA8739-8D61-4021-B0C3-E8AF2D8D8485.png Views:	1 Size:	8.97 MB ID:	172425

Comment

• Billinfla
      Billinfla commented
      Editing a comment
      That part is higher , wide, and protected from the west.

Buddy had a house in St. James. Built 2007 to new code, high elevation. Still vulnerable though.

• When Charley hit Punta Gorda she thought it was a good idea not to evacuate. She stayed.
    Neighbors house blew atop of hers. Only damage she got was the gutter and her dog died when it freaked out and ran away when she let it out to pee.
    She told me back then “it was the most horrifying thing I’ve ever went through. Never again!!”

Comment

• Flash forward to 2022 and Hurricane Ian

Apparently she lost her memory after all those years.
      At 85, she thought it was a good idea to stay on the barrier island in the same manufactured home on the SE side of a Cat4 hurricane.

Just heard she survived. And the home escaped largely unscathed.

That company needs to freakin contact her.

Comment

• Parker Yacht
        Parker Yacht commented
        Editing a comment
        She the Governors wife in that book that had the Governor sitting on top of the Card Sound bridge during a hurricane screaming "Come get me m---fer".

• Our house is in blue and our rental condo is in red where it looks like a bomb hit. Gulf beach is in front of the 2 townhouses at the bottom. Most of our possessions are scattered about the yards, all my tools, kayaks, bikes, pretty much everything that was downstairs in the storage/garage area. Due to elevated home rules with insurance none of that stuff is covered below the first floor level. We have our 2 roller bags and 2 cars with us, so living sorta minimal ha ha. Young folks think that's a good thing these days, and a fresh start is sometimes healthy. We're going to find out. Fortunately, we should have the means to do it, most do not. Word from the city and county is it will likely be at least a couple of months before we will be allowed to come over by boat and see what's left of our home. The island is presently off limits with National Guard there making sure, already seeing pirates and all. Not seeing it is the hardest part so far.

We're doing ok here in Ft. Lauderdale, headed to the free breakfast buffet. Our dog, Sailor, gets to come and go as he pleases, as it's like a kennel here with all the West coast refugees. Marriott treats us well :-)

Thanks for all your prayers.

Tom, Nancy, and Sailor

Click image for larger version

Name:	B2426D4B-83D4-45A0-8493-7AB094F368B6_1_105_c.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	172459

Sanibel FL
      2015 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer "Someday"

Comment

• SeaCat22
        SeaCat22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, what a mess. The return to normalcy will be a long road. Your positive attitude is commendable. Our prayers are still with you.

• SIM
        SIM commented
        Editing a comment
        I admire your attitude. If this ever happens to us, I hope I look at it the same way.
        If this question is out of line, please ignore it. I am curious, if you are given the chance, would you rebuild and move back in, in this same location? Its hard to tell from the picture if the buildings are salvageable. I don't know how I would feel about it going through this. We love where we live, but I don't know how I would feel if we live in a area where it might happen again. I hope everything moving forward goes as smoothly as it possibly can for you all.

• TomS
        TomS commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy, that's' a great question actually. We haven't had much time to process it. The causeway won't be rebuilt for, my guess, 3-5 years, so our 2 properties, which we have all our real estate equity in are effectively worth zero until then, other than for long haul speculators who buy at bottom feeder dollars. In hindsight we had our eggs in one really bad (dumb) basket. We didn't plan it that way, but that's it. Life deals some hard lessons.

We built what was really my dream home on a lake in Indiana, where I grew up, but my wife did not, and enjoyed that for 20+ years, until our kids were gone. My wife's dream was to live/retire in Sanibel. When we retired, I told her I lived my dream, now it's her turn so here we are. We owned 2 homes for way too many years, so I said no to the snowbird idea, sold the dream home. I would never have chosen this location to retire on my own, especially with this exposure, but it's a beautiful and peaceful place. We already had the condo, but it's a small 1br rental. So, my answer is no, I wouldn't. My wife's answer, is yes, we will. Time will tell if the financials and time frames make any of that possible. We're no spring chickens now, at 66. In the mean time we have to find a place to live for no less than a year in another city somewhere else. That's quite a challenge itself, just figuring that out. We haven't wrapped our heads around it because we thought we were done with that. Oh well, new beginnings...

• Wow. Incredible devastation. Do you know how much surge went through?
      As to the lower level not being insured, when we flooded from Irma, the FEMA adjuster said the only thing covered was clean up, not contents, nor other damage. I submitted the claim anyway and they covered everything. May want to give it a shot.
      I’m impressed by your attitude towards the situation you’ve been tossed in to. Another one of life’s adventures!

Comment

• Looks like a total loss. Even what's still good won't be by the time they let you in. I would be pushing hard to get back and collect what few things are left.

You seem to have the right attitude. Keep it up. It's going to be a long fight.

The starting over thing will bring a new attitude towards "Stuff". I have had two times in my life where I had to start over. The last time I started out with about what you have. The main lessons I came out of it with are,

It is always possible to rebuild. They can take away everything you have but they can't take your knowledge and drive.

It's Just Stuff! They make new "Stuff" every day.

My main motto in life is "Less is More". (I try to live by this one)

Comment

• Wow.
          Good new is, you are here and healthy.
          Maybe time to buy a bote and cruise.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1
          Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Coastboater View Post
            Wow. Incredible devastation. Do you know how much surge went through?
            As to the lower level not being insured, when we flooded from Irma, the FEMA adjuster said the only thing covered was clean up, not contents, nor other damage. I submitted the claim anyway and they covered everything. May want to give it a shot.
            I’m impressed by your attitude towards the situation you’ve been tossed in to. Another one of life’s adventures!
            Thanks. I have to learn all this. I've just reached out to our 4 insurance companies, but don't know anything about the FEMA part at all. I assume the gubmint will tell us to literally pound sand as they do for everything else.
            Sanibel FL

Comment

• V_Thirteen
              V_Thirteen commented
              Editing a comment
              Tell 'em your sand's already been pounded!

• Tom,
            Zoom in on this link.
            https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/i....4565/-82.0664
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
              Yes, that photo I posted came from that link. Good stuff for the insurance folks too
              Sanibel FL

Comment

Wow.
                Good new is, you are here and healthy.
                Maybe time to buy a bote and cruise.
                Actually, as we discussed whether to keep moving forward on the boat under contract, we thought exactly that. Slips are hard to come by though as loopers and cruisers have snapped them up for the winter since last spring. Per foot prices have gone crazy too. I do like the option though, very possible.

Sanibel FL

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
                  Bstnsportsfan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What kind of boat under contract?

• Parker Yacht
                  Parker Yacht commented
                  Editing a comment
                  FCYC.
                  Especially on the East side.

• V_Thirteen
                  V_Thirteen commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you could use a slip through the winter in St. Pete, pm me. I have one sitting empty. Near Maximo Marina. If you're going to live aboard, I'll have to get wife to sign off, as it's in our back yard, and we are very limited on parking.

• Link to Photo's of Sanibel.

Tom,
                It appears they are letting residents back on Island, with curfew.
                https://www.mysanibel.com/hurricane/...n/storm-photos
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• WOW Looks like the Pass filled in.

Comment

Link to Photo's of Sanibel.

Tom,
                    It appears they are letting residents back on Island, with curfew.
                    https://www.mysanibel.com/hurricane/...n/storm-photos
                    City Council does NOT support residents going back on, but they were forced to do it by anxious property owners. They believe it is completely unsafe and videos confirm that is probably true. There are no services - power, water, sewage, cell service, fuel, zero fire and emergency medical which is a big deal, and a lot of angry nasty critters (snakes, gators, coyotes, bobcats, etc). There is no on island transportation of any sort other than abandoned bikes, so you may have to walk through the mess for a few miles. Average age is ~68 yo so most are not the most physically able to negotiate roads and paths covered in thick slippery sand slurry. They said it is worse than ice, with the bonus of nails, glass, and sharp debris mixed into it.

For us, we'd have to find a boat/captain willing to traverse the debris field in the waterways to get from the Cape out the river to the gulf and then anchor/beach it in front of our access path on the Gulf. Then we'd have to climb through there to get to the end of our street. $1k or so for that little trip out there with no assurance you can even get the house. We'll do it at some point, just not quite yet. And yes, it is KILLING me not to go and see our house. We had a drone pilot go out on a boat yesterday and take pics for us, hoping to see them later today. It was VERY expensive but worth it to us. We shall see.

We've moved to Delray Beach, never been here, nice walkable beach town.
                    Sanibel FL

Comment

• Parker Yacht
                      Parker Yacht commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The dinning in Delray is very nice, so is the SeaGate Hotel.

• TomS
                      TomS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We are across the street from the Seagate in the cheap seats. Looks nice though. Great restaurants and it's still quiet before the snowbirds and tourists show up, walk right in.

• This is a game changer even it's by end of the year. Gubner DeSantis rocks!

"City of Sanibel Received the following Notice from FDOT Governor Ron DeSantis Directs FDOT to Immediately Undertake Repairs to Sanibel Causeway

Published on: October 5, 2022 03:07am
                    By:

Governor Ron DeSantis directs FDOT to immediately undertake bridge repairs to Sanibel Causeway.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Governor Ron DeSantis directed FDOT to prioritize repairs to the Sanibel Causeway. These repairs are needed for first responders and Sanibel residents to access the island, as well as other recovery efforts such as power restoration and debris removal. Today, the contract for the bridge repair was awarded.

“FDOT has already made tremendous progress on the temporary bridge to Pine Island,” said Governor Ron DeSantis. “Now, I’ve asked them to work with Lee County to immediately begin work to provide temporary access and begin repairs to the Sanibel Causeway. Access to our barrier islands is a priority for our first responders and emergency services who have been working day and night to bring relief to all Floridians affected by Hurricane Ian.”

“FDOT is proud to play a part in restoring our communities across the state. The Pine Island bridge is well on its way for completion. I’m confident we can provide the same level of service for the Sanibel Island community,” said Secretary Jared W. Perdue, P.E. “Much like Pine Island, the Sanibel Causeway was affected when the land that the road was built on was washed away. A bridge stability analysis will be performed, and repairs needed range from repairing bridge approaches to restoring the roadway across most of the causeway. We look forward to continuing our partnership with Lee County and helping them take another step towards recovery.”

All accessible state-owned bridge inspections have been completed and FDOT is assisting with inspections on locally owned bridges. FDOT has also cleared nearly all of Florida’s roads that were impacted by the storm with Cut and Toss operations making our transportation corridors passable through almost all of the state. Completing repairs will then allow first responders access to the island in order to conduct their life and safety missions. This will then give residents drivable access from the mainland to Sanibel Island.

It is anticipated to have the Sanibel Causeway accessible by the end of October. Once immediate recovery efforts have subsided, permanent long-term repairs will be made to the causeway. The emergency repairs being done now will offer a safe passage for immediate access and will also be incorporated into long-term repair plans. This means that repairs being done now will tie into work that will be needed for permanent repairs."

Sanibel FL

Comment

Working...
                    X