Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaleH
    replied
    The blunderbuss is a typical flintlock ignition, where flint is held in the cock (hammer) and when the trigger is pulled, it flies forward under force to strike and scrape agsainst the face of the steel frizzen, creating sparks. That is the priming charge you see still going off in the pan as the gun fired.

A matchlock ignition uses a piece of lit cord that drops directly into the priming powder - where the ignition is instantaneous, faster than even a percussion arm. German target shooters stayed with matchlocks for their 'lock speed' due to that characteristic, even when newer black powdah ignition types were invented.

Leave a comment:

• blaster
    commented on 's reply
    Is that a match lock?
  • Parker Yacht
    Senior Swabby

• Parker Yacht
    commented on 's reply
    Damn. That is cool. The gun I mean.

• DaleH
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	21FC7B15-2DDA-412B-B3C4-A70DB4A170F2.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	150389 Was cccold out at the range yesterday, below freezing, so I had to warm it up some …

Used a 75-caliber early 17th century French brass barreled blunderbuss this time. What a hoot! Nails, glass, gravel, rocks … it’ll shoot anything!

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    Senior Swabby

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    I keep them clean. Or thought I did.
    But now I know what to look for in the barrel.

Leave a comment:

• Tiretyme
    C/O Pressure Checker

• Tiretyme
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks partner!
  • duckfish
    Senior Swabby

• duckfish
    replied
    I think I mentioned it way back in the beginning of this thread….. when it comes to rifles, I’m a gun cleaning nazi

Leave a comment:

• blaster
    replied
    If you want it pretty, don’t shoot it. If you want it to shoot straight and function, clean it. Don’t worry if it isn’t perfect, worry that it shoots straight and functions smoothly.

do a poor man’s clean with some Remington action spray and after drying and a wipe spray on some rem oil.

Or, do a poor poor man’s cleaning with brake parts cleaner and some synthetic motor oil for the moving parts. Just don’t use so much oil you can cook French fries.

Leave a comment:

• Smitty45
    Master Probie

• Smitty45
    commented on 's reply
    Me too ! I make such a mess , and it takes me forever .

• Tori645
    commented on 's reply
    Only like 4th time and i didn't dismantle the whole thing. I end up with extra parts that i don't know where they go

• DaleH
    commented on 's reply
    Most OVER-clean their toys!
    My BP arms are the only ones that get cleaned after each use, as the salts produced as a by-product of BP combustion create sulfuric acid - yikes!

• Tori645
    replied
    i hate cleaning my gun. got around to it today, broke 3 fingernails. pos...

Leave a comment:

• DaleH
    replied
    Originally posted by duckfish View Post
    J-B is great stuff but you practically need full Class IV PPE and an SCBA to use it. Nasty smelling stuff.
    It smells? Funny ... I don't smell it at all ... or if I did - never noticed it - and I just used it last night, just a big 'meh' here on smelliness ...

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    Senior Swabby

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Is the carbon throughout the entire barrel, or just near the end?

Can you give us a synopsis on position & gun control?
    I’m very interested to hear about that!
    Mostly in the "landing", right after where the projectile exits the cartridge for about 3-4".
    I have always had issue's "steadying" the gun either in a kneeling position or off a barricade or tank traps. I used to use a tripod for rear support, but that is cumbersome and you loose valuable time.
    Learned how to use my left hand to steady the front part and when kneeling my right knee to steady the aft part.
    My scope used to jump around, much steadier now.
    Still need more practice. I will do that with my .22 at a 2" target at 100yards.

Leave a comment:

• duckfish
    Senior Swabby

• duckfish
    commented on 's reply
    J-B is great stuff but you practically need full Class IV PPE and an SCBA to use it. Nasty smelling stuff.
Working...
X