Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Smitty45 View Post
    My new rifle , Kimber Pro Mountain , .280 Ackley Improved . Weighs 6.6 lbs with the scope . Taking it to the range tomorrow for break in , I'll do an update when I get it dialed in . Bought some dies and loaded 30 rounds , I hope it's as accurate as advertised .

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2619.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	764.6 KB
ID:	173066

Excellent pick Smitty. Once you’ve hunted with a light rifle, you’ll never go back. I have 2 Kimbers. 308 & 300 WSM. Love them to death. 308 is real shooter. 300 ain’t bad either for a magnum caliber out of an ultralight contour barrel.

I wanted to buy a 280 AI for my youngest, as her new elk rifle, earlier this year. But scarcity and cost of ammo scared me off.
    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

• Smitty45
      Smitty45 commented
      Editing a comment
      I paid $899 for the gun and bought dies to reload . I had a bunch of .284 ELD bullets , so I just bought some Nosler brass and loaded my own cartridges .

• So I took my new Kimber and the Savage that it is replacing as a hunting gun to the range today .
    The Savage is lights out , the Kimber is still a work in process , LOL

Savage on the top half of the target , Kimber on the bottom . All five shot groups at 100 yards .

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	173287 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2633.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	173288 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	952.2 KB
ID:	173289 Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	173290

Comment

• New 2nd place long range sniper shot recorded

Name:	BDB837B7-471F-4646-A19C-51A6372D0B4D.png
Views:	96
Size:	3.47 MB
ID:	174677 Click image for larger version

Name:	FA6F74B2-951D-46A4-AF49-83094815204C.png
Views:	136
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	174676
      2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
      Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

• Starting to get the Kimber sorted out , the Kimber on the bottom , Savage on the top .

Name:	IMG_2723.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	725.9 KB
ID:	175509 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2726.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	772.9 KB
ID:	175510 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2722.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	175511

Comment

• Tiretyme
          Tiretyme commented
          Editing a comment
          Good shoot’in Tex!!

• Smitty45
          Smitty45 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You ! ^^^

• Lookin very good.

What's you're impression of the .280 AI caliber?
        Bob

S Central PA

Comment

• Originally posted by duckfish View Post
          Lookin very good.

What's you're impression of the .280 AI caliber?
          I'll tell the truth , I'm not the guy to ask . I have mixed feelings about this rifle . It being so light it's a lot harder to shoot accurately . I put a bipod on it , put the back of the gun on a bag and my off hand on top of the scope to hold it down .
          As far as the caliber , I haven't shot it other than 100 yds . In this lightweight gun , less than 7 pounds with the scope , it has a stiff kick and muzzle rise , even with the brake on it . More than I expected , close to the 7mm RM with a brake .
          This is the best I've got it to shoot , I've tried different powders and loads , but think it likes the RL19 at 57 grs .
          Also I haven't tried to shoot it off hand or off sticks .

Honestly , I wouldn't buy it again , I'd stick with my Savage and deal with the extra weight , it is so much easier to shoot . But that might change as I get more time behind the gun .

Comment

• There are unquestioned trade-offs to ultralight rifles.

If intended use is as a hunting rifle, humping 5+ miles a day in the mountains, I predict you’ll fall madly in love with it.

If that’s not your use, you may be better served with a more conventional rifle.

I had to learn to temper my group expectations when I started shooting super light rifles. But for me the trade-off is well worth it.
            Bob

S Central PA

Comment

• Smitty45
              Smitty45 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes , thats exactly why I bought it , to stalk big game . And I'm hoping you're right , and I just need more time learning how to shoot it , it's obviously accurate .

• A friend of mine has a insane rifle made for I believe competitive shooting. I have never experienced such a light trigger pull in my life. Beyond scary how easily the trigger pulled.

Comment

• Originally posted by duckfish View Post
              There are unquestioned trade-offs to ultralight rifles.

If intended use is as a hunting rifle, humping 5+ miles a day in the mountains, I predict you’ll fall madly in love with it.

If that’s not your use, you may be better served with a more conventional rifle.

I had to learn to temper my group expectations when I started shooting super light rifles. But for me the trade-off is well worth it.
              ^^^^This^^^^.
              I don't hunt, but have friends that do and have shot their guns, they kick list Sister Sarah's Mule, butt they are light, and lugging my rifle around is not fun.

Originally posted by Surfercross View Post
              A friend of mine has a insane rifle made for I believe competitive shooting. I have never experienced such a light trigger pull in my life. Beyond scary how easily the trigger pulled.
              Did a match yesterday and a guy in my squad DQ'd from an AD (Accidental Discharge), light trigger pull, mine is under 2#'s, heavy by most standards, but has never gone off accidentally, yet.

Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Tiretyme
                Tiretyme commented
                Editing a comment
                That was my first thought; how many people discharge gun unintentionally.
                Seems dangerous if not in a controlled environment like competition.

• Smitty45
                Smitty45 commented
                Editing a comment
                I put a Trigger Tech trigger on this rifle , the stock one had a ton of creep and was very stiff . I'm guessing this one is right about 2 lbs , which is really light for a hunting weapon .

• I hit the short range today because my 6mm has over 2000rnds on the barrel.
              Three (3) shots each target with four (4) shots bottom right target. 100Yrds. Still not too bad.
              Then I did two "matches" with the CZ457 .22LR. 50 yards, 60 secs timed.

Name:	20221211_094106.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	176719 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221211_085009.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	176720 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221211_091233.jpg
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	176721
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                I hit the short range today because my 6mm has over 2000rnds on the barrel.
                Three (3) shots each target with four (4) shots bottom right target. 100Yrds. Still not too bad.
                Then I did two "matches" with the CZ457 .22LR. 50 yards, 60 secs timed.

Name:	20221211_094106.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	176719 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221211_085009.jpg
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	176720 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221211_091233.jpg
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	176721

You need to come to Okeechobee Shooting Sports with me.

In related news, I just ordered a Ruger LCP MAX. Looks like a nice little pocket toy.

Comment

So I took my new Kimber and the Savage that it is replacing as a hunting gun to the range today .
                  The Savage is lights out , the Kimber is still a work in process , LOL

Savage on the top half of the target , Kimber on the bottom . All five shot groups at 100 yards .

Name:	image2 (1).jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	173287 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2633.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	173288 Click image for larger version

Name:	image1 (1).jpg
Views:	89
Size:	952.2 KB
ID:	173289 Click image for larger version

Name:	image0 (1).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	173290

Ha. I know where you were. Any other OKSS'ers here?

Comment

• Originally posted by OldPete View Post

Ha. I know where you were. Any other OKSS'ers here?
                    Not that I know of , other than Ole , we met there once . I just like that range and George the RO is a great guy . We should schedule a meet some day there . I know Bluewaterposer lives there , maybe some others would show up ?

Comment

Not that I know of , other than Ole , we met there once . I just like that range and George the RO is a great guy . We should schedule a meet some day there . I know Bluewaterposer lives there , maybe some others would show up ?

You're reading my mind! George is A+! We also like shooting the steel a lot. On occasion we shoot clay, but my son and I are terrible at it and need some coaching. (read: A LOT of coaching LOL).

I am absolutely interested in putting something together. My busy season is over after the holiday season and then we're there often - which is surprising since it's 1-1/2 hours away. It's paradise.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldPete View Post

You're reading my mind! George is A+! We also like shooting the steel a lot. On occasion we shoot clay, but my son and I are terrible at it and need some coaching. (read: A LOT of coaching LOL).

I am absolutely interested in putting something together. My busy season is over after the holiday season and then we're there often - which is surprising since it's 1-1/2 hours away. It's paradise.
                        I'm there twice a month or so , I wonder if we've been there at the same time ? It's 50 minutes for me but I've been shooting there for years now .

Comment

Working...
                        X