Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple suggestions:

Find a gun shop/range near you that will let you actually shoot different guns before you buy. Although many handguns have customizable hand swells, grip - barrel angle is not really changed and therefore many people will shoot better/worse with different handguns. A 1/2 day like this at the range can cost you as much as buying the gun itself, but IMO money well spent.

Put some serious thought in to what YOU feel comfortable with as far as safety design. Don't know how familiar you are with handguns, so forgive me if this is unnecessary info:
    https://www.usacarry.com/handgun-saf...aracteristics/

The safety topic is internet debated almost passionately as politics, religion & Freemans. I'd suggest you ignore all that crap and decide based only on what works for you. Bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable with the handgun, it's unlikely to serve it's purpose if ever needed.
    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post
      Couple suggestions:

Find a gun shop/range near you that will let you actually shoot different guns before you buy. Although many handguns have customizable hand swells, grip - barrel angle is not really changed and therefore many people will shoot better/worse with different handguns. A 1/2 day like this at the range can cost you as much as buying the gun itself, but IMO money well spent.

Put some serious thought in to what YOU feel comfortable with as far as safety design. Don't know how familiar you are with handguns, so forgive me if this is unnecessary info:
      https://www.usacarry.com/handgun-saf...aracteristics/

The safety topic is internet debated almost passionately as politics, religion & Freemans. I'd suggest you ignore all that crap and decide based only on what works for you. Bottom line is, if you don't feel comfortable with the handgun, it's unlikely to serve it's purpose if ever needed.
      Not that familiar with hand guns, shot more rifles in my time.
      But, smart enough to know that I need to know the gun.
      Also have been around long enough that if I pull it, I need/have to use it or lose it.
      I will end up finding a shop with a range if I go this route.
      Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1
      Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
      www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

Not that familiar with hand guns, shot more rifles in my time.
        But, smart enough to know that I need to know the gun.
        Also have been around long enough that if I pull it, I need/have to use it or lose it.
        I will end up finding a shop with a range if I go this route.
        Ole, I like the Glock 22.. It is a 40 cal.. Police use them a lot. My first one was actually a Police Trade in.. Bought it on Gun Broker.. Dollar for dollar, Glocks are just a very reliable platform. I own better firearms and I also own "worse" firearms..

My suggestion would be to go to a range that sells fire arms, same as Duckfish suggested.. Most do.. They allow yoy to test fire their weapons.. Most have rentals, too.. Pick out a couple your interested in and give them a try on the range.. You'll know the one that "feels" right.

Are there better firearms? Yes.. Sig, Springfield, Kimber, H&K, F&N to name a few.. But you'll end up spending more money for something that does the same thing..
        Last edited by KMac; 06-11-2020, 08:45 AM.
        As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
        2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
        Mobile, Al.
        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Sounds like you have a good starting plan.

My personal experience: shot a number of different Glocks. Simply the wrong fit for me to shoot my best grouping, so I don't own any Glocks. (I don't own any guns). But Glock is certainly a well built firearm.

I prefer a manual trigger block safety.

Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Sounds like you have a good starting plan.

My personal experience: shot a number of different Glocks. Simply the wrong fit for me to shoot my best grouping, so I don't own any Glocks. (I don't own any guns). But Glock is certainly a well built firearm.

I prefer a manual trigger block safety.
            I edited my suggestion and gave you kudo's.. LOL.. I responded before I read all the suggestions.. You basically suggested the same thing I did.. Sorry.. LOL..
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

No worries Kyle. Great minds think alike

One other manufacturer I'll throw out there that is also budget friendly, S&W. Their M&P line is solid firearms at reasonable prices.
              Bob

S Central PA

Comment

No worries Kyle. Great minds think alike

One other manufacturer I'll throw out there that is also budget friendly, S&W. Their M&P line is solid firearms at reasonable prices.
                Yep, forgot about Smith and Wesson.. Great firearms..
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I own both semis and revolvers, and I carry. There’s one thing about a wheel gun, when you cock the hammer and pull the trigger it’s going to go bang. Semis on the other hand, are a different “animal...” put a lot of rounds through it down range, keep it clean and familiarize yourself with it enough that you can load it or clear it If need be blindfolded.
                  Alabaster, AL
                  Mobile, AL
                  2003 Pro Line 22 Bay, Yamaha SX200TXRC

Comment

Originally posted by rkmorgan View Post
                    I own both semis and revolvers, and I carry. There’s one thing about a wheel gun, when you cock the hammer and pull the trigger it’s going to go bang. Semis on the other hand, are a different “animal...” put a lot of rounds through it down range, keep it clean and familiarize yourself with it enough that you can load it or clear it If need be blindfolded.
                    My dad's wife wants a handgun and I am going to get her a revolver.. My daughter has a 9 MM but I am looking for a 38 special revolver she can carry.. People say not enough round, but a small (in stature and body size) isn't going to lug around a 15 round 9mm..
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

My dad's wife wants a handgun and I am going to get her a revolver.. My daughter has a 9 MM but I am looking for a 38 special revolver she can carry.. People say not enough round, but a small (in stature and body size) isn't going to lug around a 15 round 9mm..
                      Ruger makes some nice small framed revolvers.
                      Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Originally posted by Slough View Post

Ruger makes some nice small framed revolvers.
                        That is one I am looking at..
                        Mobile, Al.
                        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I got B one a few years ago. She wasn't comfortable with an auto.
                          Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

I'm glad someone brought up revolvers. I used to always suggest revolvers to first time handgun buyers, but with the tacti-cool craze and internet info out there, many people dismiss the idea and look at me like I must be joking.

S&W Airweights make an excellent carry gun. Since they weigh hardly any more than the rounds you put in them, some find them a little snappy to shoot tho.
                            Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Don't forget the smaller and lighter the gun is the more recoil you will feel... Charlie
                              Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

I'd like to get one of the smaller Glocks still in the 9 mm so don't have to have different ammo

Comment

Working...
                                X