TOS thinking duplicate account

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOS thinking duplicate account

Logged in to TOS to see if I got banned for the Jewish Lightening comment. Had a PM from Mod18. Very politely told me that duplicate accounts are forbidden. My son is home and joined that site. My question is, for those people that you have heard of having a duplicate account, did they mention how they did it? My IP address showing a duplicate is legit and I got a message. Just wondering if they just went through a vpn.

Son just tried to log in and got this message..

Click image for larger version

Name:	D5395394-6BEB-4F5D-85C0-ADC5081CECF5.png
Views:	82
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	67182

Comment

An account created from an IP address that already holds an account will be seen as a duplicate. If your son uses a vpn he should be able to join and remain but he will have to pay a small amount to the vpn provider as a monthly fee. He can also try using a free proxy that is easy to find by googling " free proxy " He may find that most of those are banned though, as I've used them before.

Usually if your account gets banned they will also ban the IP it was created under.
      I'm somewhat surprised they didn't ban your IP when his account was banned.

His options now are
      -using a free proxy and a different username to set up an account. He may be able to log on under your IP after that and use the site. It may be a problem if you both log on under the same IP, if even possible.
      - contact them and explain that there are 2 users under the same IP.
      - Purchase a VPN and register with a different username than the one that got banned.

You may have problems in using 2 accounts simultaneously though because of cookies on your computer. This may be able to be avoided by using a wi-fi connection for one account if you are at the same location.

Comment

Thank you Kemper! I have a work VPN that I don’t use for personal browsing. I guess it is an option. Thanks again!

Comment

Kemper is right on track with his info Dan.

Comment

I can only speak about what I have experience in. I'm sure there are other ways to get on a site if a person would want to. I don't want to learn or use methods that involve spamming,hacking etc. I don't think anything I do in regards to getting on a site such as TOS would be considered illegal or even unethical. While I don't agree with many of the things they do there , I realize it is a business and I wouldn't try to harm someone's business.

There are a lot of things a person can do there as well as on other types of forums. For example ,if a person just wanted to show their finds and talk about other peoples finds on a detecting forum, they could probably tune other things out and enjoy that.
            If a person just wanted to show their boat and talk to others with a similar interest, they could probably tune out other things.

But, a lot of people,like me are not satisfied with limiting ourselves. We like doing those things but ,as the song goes, " as soon as I get what I want, I get unsatisfied " We " keep looking for something more " I really don't think that's a bad thing. Of course ,I don't think the debate will ever be settled on what is good for a forum. Looking back at various forums I feel for the ones that took a more low-key approach because they are feeling the effects of low participation too.

An interested thread from when Mod 3 called it quits back in 2010 at TOS. https://www.thehulltruth.com/docksid...odbye-all.html
            Mod 3 says - " And forum rules are forum rules; there for a reason and to be enforced. In my departure I remain concerned about what I perceive as a growing loss of civility in posts across THT. I do not think the deterioration can be halted without more stringent moderation. "

He has a concern that lax moderation will be the ruination of the forum. But this is from 2010 and as I've said not long ago, I believe TOS got to be the big dog by allowing more " antics " and they did. They have cut down on the " antics " and participation suffered. It seems to me that they are now letting more things slide but, is it too late ?

Anyway,sorry for the long post but Ahoy Vay got me thinking.
            " It's only human to never be satisfied "
            Last edited by Sailsalot; 11-28-2019, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
              Thank you Kemper! I have a work VPN that I don’t use for personal browsing. I guess it is an option. Thanks again!
              Are you perma-banned from the Bilge? You may have told us but can’t remember.

Comment

Logged in to TOS to see if I got banned for the Jewish Lightening comment. Had a PM from Mod18. Very politely told me that duplicate accounts are forbidden. My son is home and joined that site. My question is, for those people that you have heard of having a duplicate account, did they mention how they did it? My IP address showing a duplicate is legit and I got a message. Just wondering if they just went through a vpn.
                So what's the consensus on "Jewish Lightning"? Offensive or not?

Comment

Jewish lightning is nothing new and just an old way of defining an event. Nobody thought anything of it for years just like "the pot calling the kettle black" or "Indian giver" or anything similar. Leave it to the politically correct crowd to over react to anything. Our Chief Wahoo mascot is now gone from the Cleveland Indians; but I will wear every hat and shirt that I have with the chief on it each and every time I visit the stadium; and proudly!

Comment

Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

Are you perma-banned from the Bilge? You may have told us but can’t remember.
                    Yep. Only go over to TOS once or twice a week now even though the ban was just the bilge.

Comment

O
                      Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post

So what's the consensus on "Jewish Lightning"? Offensive or not?
                      Not offensive to me but I am not Jewish. Jew fish did not offend me and is what I still call it. The Catholic priest jokes don’t offend me as a Catholic because I know man is fallible (not that their crimes should be covered up or avoid prosecution regardless of statute of limitations).

Comment

Let’s see; born Polish, raised in Catholic Church, alter boy and school until 8th grade.
                        How many Pollock jokes ya think I got........who cares?
                        People are waaaay.......off the chart, out in left field sensitive these days

Kevin Hart is hilarious in my opinion.
                        They tore his A$$ up for having a Cowboys & Indians themed birthday party for one of his kids.
                        People have absolutely lost it

Gabrielle Union just got 86’d from her role as a judge on America’s Got Talent because she was offended by a joke Jay Leno made about Koreans. Hey, at least they sent her packing. People gotta lighten up some—this mentality has become ridiculous!

Back to the Catholic thing. Pope Francis is 2/3rds bonkers IMO, and covering up all these pedophile clergymen is way worse than Jeffery Epstein, at least to me.

I realize none are perfect but we left that denomination quite some time ago.
                        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                        ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s
                        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

O

Not offensive to me but I am not Jewish. Jew fish did not offend me and is what I still call it. The Catholic priest jokes don’t offend me as a Catholic because I know man is fallible (not that their crimes should be covered up or avoid prosecution regardless of statute of limitations).
                          Rick, I shoulda said on TOS.

Comment

I don't know how a person would go about getting a consensus on whether or not Jewish Lightning is a derogatory term. I think it would have a lot to do with context. People are different and pointing out differences should not be considered offensive unless someone is doing so to piss someone off.

I was doing a job over at the Holiday Inn a few years ago. The carpenter locked his keys in his van and was trying to figure out what to do. After about an hour of failed attempts, 2 black guys came over and said - " You got 2 black guys working on the job and you didn't even ask us how to break into a van ? We're offended " I told them they were probably worrying about stereotyping them.

They were able to get into the van in about 5 minute without doing any damage. Of course, 2 different black guys may have been offended if they were asked for help.

Comment

Maybe explain to those in power MOD 18 that you didn't create a duplicate account and that your son joined, hence account #2 from the same ip. If you're in good standing otherwise they can lift the ban. I assume you can post from your sons account, if not I'll reach out to the mods there for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X