BoB/TOS/THT, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BoB/TOS/THT, etc.

It has been mentioned many times here how "Slow" the site is.
    Well,
    Is that what we want?
    If we don't want that, how can we change it.
    TOS gives someone everything they need, and then some, but is it all good?
    Should we stay the sleepy little site that people visit for a touch of reality, the small town site.
    Or should we want to become the big city site?
    What say Ye BoB?
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Just slow growth, we can't be everything to everybody, that describes TOS.
    Classic Mako has a good site, very polite like us here on BOB.

It'll grow however slight that may be, our relevance is due to fairly good advice and opinions, let's keep it that way.
    BWP

Comment

Seems like the only way to grow is sell tons of ad space, which I doubt many here would want. Maybe a few more sponsors, I dunno.

I'm a member of several audiophile type forums. The best one uses an approach called "circles", which are mini-communities of brand aligned folks (sub forums). Sometimes the brand owner is the facilitator or perhaps a power user of that brand does it. It works well to promote positive conversation, as opposed to fist fights of mine's best, yours is crap kind of stuff. Within each community things stay friendly. I thought this might go that way here with ProLine, Sailfish, Grady, a few others but just not enough traffic. I'd consider running an Axopar one, but it's a very global audience, hard to validate users coming in.
      Sanibel FL
      Axopar 28 Cabin, 2 x 200 Merc 3.4L V6

Comment

I think we're fine the way we are; no marketing needed. I rarely visit tos except for the regional "Great Lakes" portion. Never been in the bilge and once in a while I read the Boater's Forum. Once in a blue moon I make a comment or offer some advice. I by far prefer the way we communicate here and we have a good group of people who respect one another.

Comment

Originally posted by TomS View Post
          Seems like the only way to grow is sell tons of ad space, which I doubt many here would want. Maybe a few more sponsors, I dunno.

I'm a member of several audiophile type forums. The best one uses an approach called "circles", which are mini-communities of brand aligned folks (sub forums). Sometimes the brand owner is the facilitator or perhaps a power user of that brand does it. It works well to promote positive conversation, as opposed to fist fights of mine's best, yours is crap kind of stuff. Within each community things stay friendly. I thought this might go that way here with ProLine, Sailfish, Grady, a few others but just not enough traffic. I'd consider running an Axopar one, but it's a very global audience, hard to validate users coming in.
          I "vet" every applicant.
          Unless they have a RU (Russian) email, I will let them in.
          Engine Sales and Service
          Ph +1 954.463.1515
          Fx +1

[email protected]
          www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by erie skipper View Post
            I think we're fine the way we are; no marketing needed. I rarely visit tos except for the regional "Great Lakes" portion. Never been in the bilge and once in a while I read the Boater's Forum. Once in a blue moon I make a comment or offer some advice. I by far prefer the way we communicate here and we have a good group of people who respect one another.
            Advertising has NOT been discussed and is not on the radar.
            We do appreciate all the "pros" that participate and moving forward we will stay "Open", no favoritism to any brand, product or execution of said design of, no prejudice and will not tolerate it from any member.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Off topic is the driver to any site. I don't know of any site that has much traffic without a strong off-topic section (s). The problem is that where ever the boundaries are set some will push them.
              There really is no way to determine exactly where to draw the line on certain issues and enforcement by authority is next to impossible without pissing someone off.

There is no definite line on what is political,what is an attack,who started a confrontation etc. Unless authority is very strict ( which members don't like ) there will be problems.

I often thought it may be better if there were dues charged to be a member and the moderation would be paid ,such as referees are paid in sporting events. I think what you see at TOS is moderation that is done on a " by the moment " basis without any rationale. What was okay yesterday is not okay today but may be okay tomorrow or later in the day.

I've seen sites try to make it easy to moderate by eliminating those that cause drama even though that drama may not be against the rules. Easy to moderate seems to equal no traffic. Charge for membership and maybe everyone will realize that everyone has a " job " to do whether they are a member or authority.

Comment

I would like to see the site get busier, but not to the level of TOS. You get busy and money enters the equation followed by advertisers then rules. Maybe a well crafted email when they sign up letting them know that what makes BOB better/different from TOS is the laid back/non-aggressive atmosphere. Disagreements and differing opinions are fine they just don’t get personal or meant to embarrass. Something so basic to some may be a total unknown for others. Respectful responses will keep people actively asking the questions that may provide insight readers never had. Like Quantum Mechanics, very basic but a couple people were struggling with the concept... . I am new here and like what you guys have got going on so what ever you old timers want, I am good with!

Comment

Originally posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
                  I would like to see the site get busier, but not to the level of TOS. You get busy and money enters the equation followed by advertisers then rules. Maybe a well crafted email when they sign up letting them know that what makes BOB better/different from TOS is the laid back/non-aggressive atmosphere. Disagreements and differing opinions are fine they just don’t get personal or meant to embarrass. Something so basic to some may be a total unknown for others. Respectful responses will keep people actively asking the questions that may provide insight readers never had. Like Quantum Mechanics, very basic but a couple people were struggling with the concept... . I am new here and like what you guys have got going on so what ever you old timers want, I am good with!
                  AHOY struggles with fractions...

So I'm on TOS, and someone asks "what do you do"? Guy from Ponce Inlet writes in..builds Motec brains for motorsports..they same system Barry just bought for the racecar. Small world...

Comment

Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post
                    I often thought it may be better if there were dues charged to be a member and the moderation would be paid ,such as referees are paid in sporting events. I think what you see at TOS is moderation that is done on a " by the moment " basis without any rationale. What was okay yesterday is not okay today but may be okay tomorrow or later in the day.
                    Are you suggesting that paid "referee's" are impartial and fair?
                    Hmmmmmmmm, not.
                    I see "instant replay" coming.

Engine Sales and Service
                    Ph +1 954.463.1515
                    Fx +1

[email protected]
                    www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post

So I'm on TOS, and someone asks "what do you do"? Guy from Ponce Inlet writes in..builds Motec brains for motorsports..they same system Barry just bought for the racecar. Small world...
                      They had a Stuart thread over there the other day, right up your alley. Surprised your bloodpressure alarm didn't go off.
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

[email protected]
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Originally posted by Billinstuart View Post

Do Motecs have brains? From what I hear, very little....

Comment

What site is TOS?

Comment

Also as just an average guy, most of the answers I’m looking for are found with the search function. Or just browsing and reading interesting posts. So my participation is almost nonexistent but I check the “todays posts” regularly.
                            in other words I won’t have anything to add but am able to take advantage of the answers/stories already given. I was led here by a google search that resulted in Mike Carrigan’s Proline posts. Because I own one of those “pounding, wet riding, cheap” hulls. Lol. But I saw 7-8 of them out of Steinhatchee over the last 4 days. And by some miracle the wife and kids managed to catch fish.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootpass View Post
                              What site is TOS?
                              The Hull Truth.
                              T.O.S (The Other Site).
                              Engine Sales and Service
                              Ph +1 954.463.1515
                              Fx +1

[email protected]
                              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group