Mike Carrigan??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post

    Well that your opinion and you have a right to it and I have a right to mine. I don't know the whole story and like I said I vaguely remember when it went do and I think I remember being one of the few people who spoke out about what happened as I personally did like how it went down. Like I said I took a break from the forum for a while because of it.

    More moderators don't necessarily mean more moderation of the forum it can mean more of an equal overview of the forum. I was part of a forum for cars years ago they had something like 10 mods any you rarely heard a thing from them. However when there was an incident the mods discussed it and came to an agreement on how the situation would be handled so a fair and impartial argument was met not someone picking on one member because he was friends with a member or disliked another.

    That all being said wasn't the point of this forum to have experts in the field weigh in and converse with others? If we chase off all the experts what separates us for the other site? Because they already did that. It seems like a lot of the original experts participate very little any more. I don't think I have seen boe marine post here in a long time. I haven't seen a couple other guys in sometime either.
    While I agree with you in principle, and most certainly for this forum, I have come to a conclusion about people. You have some that go out of their way to be kind and accepting. You have others that aren’t so kind and aren’t so accepting of others opinions and beliefs. Then you have those that will stop at nothing to make anyone, with any differing views, life miserable. For some reason, those types of people gravitate to “open” forums and they “have” to educate you. They “have” to respond. It’s who they are. And honestly, they are very difficult to be around.

    I understand this is why forums have areas that people can get in and duke it out, so to speak. But this ruins it for everyone. Why? Because they can’t keep it in that forum. They get personal. And I am sorry, when someone makes it personal, the civility is gone. The confines or protective walls of “do that here” only forum that was intended to shield everyone else is gone. It’s unfortunate, but it is a side effect of being a human. We just don’t like some people. It is what it is.

    we see the mentality of women joining Boy Scouts simply because they have that right or should. What are their intentions? To just fit in? Of course not. Their intention is to “bust up” what they perceive as an injustice. Is it wrong to have an arena where everyone thinks alike? No, it isn’t. From any side of the argument. Is it boring? Maybe. Are thoughts and things pondered that they wouldn’t normally think about? Normally not.

    I write all that to say this; in the world we live in today, people look for ways to be offended instead of common ground. They look for ways to weaken your stance it undermine each other at every turn. It is just what we’ve become. We will end up segregating ourselves for our own sanity. If people don’t, no one will want to be apart of anything because of the animosity. Do some of these people brings goods things to the table? Experience and wisdom? Sure. But if people can’t help themselves and must engage because they don’t like the way you think, maybe they don’t need to participate. For everyone’s sake.
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post

      Well that your opinion and you have a right to it and I have a right to mine. I don't know the whole story and like I said I vaguely remember when it went do and I think I remember being one of the few people who spoke out about what happened as I personally did like how it went down. Like I said I took a break from the forum for a while because of it.

      More moderators don't necessarily mean more moderation of the forum it can mean more of an equal overview of the forum. I was part of a forum for cars years ago they had something like 10 mods any you rarely heard a thing from them. However when there was an incident the mods discussed it and came to an agreement on how the situation would be handled so a fair and impartial argument was met not someone picking on one member because he was friends with a member or disliked another.

      That all being said wasn't the point of this forum to have experts in the field weigh in and converse with others? If we chase off all the experts what separates us for the other site? Because they already did that. It seems like a lot of the original experts participate very little any more. I don't think I have seen boe marine post here in a long time. I haven't seen a couple other guys in sometime either.
      Yes I agree it is great to have experts. But if the expert chooses to constantly post political nonsense then that falls on him. Carrigan was treated fairly. He decided to leave. So what should have been done? Ban the guys that broke his balls in order to keep him here?

      Comment


      • #48
        I tend to be a little naive in a good way, not an ignorant way, I give Mike a lot of latitude due to his experience in both life and particularly in boating, I could be considered wrong for this but that's just me.

        If Mike chooses to stay away nothing can be done about it, I've been offered a safe place to a BOB member who I've met in person once, helping other members out is what should happen, political leanings matter not as much.

        I like it here and I'm sticking with it..

        God bless America and BOB!
        .

        Kevin

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
          I tend to be a little naive in a good way, not an ignorant way, I give Mike a lot of latitude due to his experience in both life and particularly in boating, I could be considered wrong for this but that's just me.

          If Mike chooses to stay away nothing can be done about it, I've been offered a safe place to a BOB member who I've met in person once, helping other members out is what should happen, political leanings matter not as much.

          I like it here and I'm sticking with it..

          God bless America and BOB!
          .

          Kevin
          Excellent post Kevin.. I agree..
          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

          Comment


          • #50
            Storms, off for several days and just waiting--------
            I'm concerned, but not worried, I'm 3-4 miles north of the big lake, Okeechobee.

            Still beats freezing in the winter time!

            BWP

            P.S.
            I'm checking BOB multiple times daily, it's like a legal drug!.
            BWP

            Comment


            • #51
              A long time ago I was taught to not discuss politics or religion.
              Two topics that people are passionate about. It is good to believe in ones passions.
              It is not good to try and make someone else believe in your passions or to not associate yourself with someone because their passion is different than yours.
              Mike is a valuable resource for boats, we miss his boating expertise and his whit.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              954.463.4904
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

              [email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

              Member of the MSHS Group

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                A long time ago I was taught to not discuss politics or religion.
                Two topics that people are passionate about. It is good to believe in ones passions.
                It is not good to try and make someone else believe in your passions or to not associate yourself with someone because their passion is different than yours.
                Mike is a valuable resource for boats, we miss his boating expertise and his whit.
                I agree but it's the underlined portion that destroys it for some.. They just can't help themselves.. If you have a strictly business relationship, this will work as long as BOTH parties can adhere to it.. However, if you want a friendship, it's almost impossible to do that without sharing your beliefs and/or opinions.. That's what friends do..

                I can be cordially acquainted with people of all beliefs, thoughts and political "persuasions", as long as they can leave it alone... I have yet to be able to be "friends" with people who are diametrically opposed to everything I stand for because it just doesn't flow.. There always seems to be that "eggshell layer".. Any comment of opinion expressed will start the argument..

                However, like you posted, if you can stay away from religion and politics, that is half the battle.. But for people who are passionate, that just won't happen..
                2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                  A long time ago I was taught to not discuss politics or religion.
                  Two topics that people are passionate about. It is good to believe in ones passions.
                  It is not good to try and make someone else believe in your passions or to not associate yourself with someone because their passion is different than yours.
                  Mike is a valuable resource for boats, we miss his boating expertise and his whit.
                  Not attacking Mike. Just don’t feel he needed to be protected as he made the choice to post in the bilge. He poked the bear and got claws and left in a huff. He could show back up tomorrow and I wouldn’t post a thing about it.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Design59 View Post
                    Conversed with Mike the other day. We usually talk a few times a month. It’s been a rough couple of years, but Mike is a guy who always keeps on pushing forward. He’s also a guy who would do anything for anyone.

                    There is a reason that discussing religion or politics was always considered bad form in polite society. They are the two subjects where people cannot seem to accept there is a viewpoint other than their own. This thread is an illustration of that reality.

                    I have friends of many different viewpoints. We manage to coexist without bloodshed. Adults should be able to do that. Only associating with people who agree with you seems boring, and basing long time friendships on agreement on these subjects seems (imho) really dumb.

                    Good, so he’s ok?
                    Sent him a couple emails within the last week and haven’t heard back.
                    Usually he’s a quick reply
                    ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                    ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                    Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

                      Not attacking Mike. Just don’t feel he needed to be protected as he made the choice to post in the bilge. He poked the bear and got claws and left in a huff. He could show back up tomorrow and I wouldn’t post a thing about it.
                      This is in no way pointed towards Mike.. I actually like Mike and had discussions with him on TOS. When I came here, I sent him a PM.. I really wish he would come back.. What you wrote, reminded me of something that happened with my old neighbor..

                      You know, for a while, I had a neighbor that was very difficult to get along with.. As soon as we moved in, you could tell "he" wasn't happy.. Why? Because I cut my grass and got dust on his car(s).. He had a Lotus and he constantly was cleaning, polishing and babying that car.. He would come outside with leather "driving" gloves on and sit in his car.. Anyway, after about 2 weeks, the "rub" started.

                      We moved in beginning of November.. When I decorated for Christmas, he just "had" to tell me what a waste of time decorating was.. And that he didn't waste his time doing that.. I just smiled and said something like, "to each his own, I guess."

                      Then Spring rolled around and so did yard cleaning weather.. Well, for most of us anyway. While I was edging my driveway, I could tell he was saying something to me, so I shut down the edger and asked him what he needed.. Here's the conversation:
                      Him: "So, you are one of those people.."
                      Me: What do you mean by that?
                      Him: "Yards got to be perfect all the time"..
                      Me: No, but I do like to keep my yard nice.
                      Him: "Well, I don't cut grass.. I cut the yard about twice a summer. I don't even own a weed-eater. I have a blower but it's for my car. I use it to dry the crevices".
                      Me: Whatever makes you happy..
                      Him: "I think cutting grass is a waste of time".
                      Me: That's great.. I am going to get back to wasting my time..

                      When he saw me cleaning my pool, he told me what a waste of time and money having a pool was..

                      When I bought a boat in 2010, he laughed and "had" to tell me what a waste of money a boat was, as he wiped his Lotus and/or Ferrari down with a cloth. He had bought a Ferrari by this time.

                      I eventually snapped on the guy when we were talking about the trees needing to be trimmed because his trees/limbs were all in my yard and causing issues.. He refused to cut them, trim them and almost, semi threatened me about it.. That's when I snapped and told him some things that I probably shouldn't have.. Leveled some threats of my own.. He never really spoke to me after that.. I was "rude" and a "bully" because I "verbally assaulted" him.. LOL..

                      He always "had" to tell people what he was thinking. If you got along with this guy, it was because you just let him do his thing.. They moved away a few yeas ago and have since sold to very nice people.. He likes to cut his grass.. In fact, he owns a landscaping company, LOL..
                      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
                      Mobile, Al.
                      Dauphin Island, Al.

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        I had a neighbor like that. He was a know it all. He knew more and always got better prices on everything he bought. There was never any real way to change his mind so I would just keep the conversations short and provide him with a look of amazement every time he would inform me about something or tell me about a bargain he bought..

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Poor me, I never get good deals so I just keep my things till scrap value to get ahead!

                          My defense of Mike is due to him burying a child, which I've seen before, with my best friend in 2002.

                          Trump in neither nice or moral, but, he is effective.
                          Charlie got called a brown shirt with boots and he always laughed and never got mad, I always found it humorous.

                          I wish Mike would come back and just stick to boating topics of which he knows volumes.
                          Oh well, life goes on!
                          BWP

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post

                            My defense of Mike is due to him burying a child, which I've seen before, with my best friend in 2002.
                            I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak that is caused by the death of one of your children. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

                            I miss having Mike around, but I don't miss his political comments. I hope he comes back.

                            Andrew Munao Jr
                            Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                            888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by SIM View Post

                              I can't imagine the pain and heartbreak that is caused by the death of one of your children. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

                              I miss having Mike around, but I don't miss his political comments. I hope he comes back.
                              I am glad I wasn't involved in those discussions.. Although I have read the exchanges, it is different than actually being in the middle of it.

                              I agree with you, it is a heartbreaking thing that he has endured. So sad..
                              2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
                              Mobile, Al.
                              Dauphin Island, Al.

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Seems it was mainly Kemper that got him all riled up in the first place, I can’t remember.

                                Sailfish was ok too. He’d bitch about it, but also participate. I could care less about them going at it in tank. Heck, I’d even jump in occasionally, but not much.

                                Problem with me is I unintentionally use a poor choice of words at times since my vocabulary is so limited!!!
                                ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                                ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                                Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X