• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Carrigan??

What ever happened to Mike Carrigan??
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

I guess he decided to not participate any more due to political differences with some other members. It's a shame! The man is a wealth of knowledge!

I have friends that are democrats. We just agree to disagree and don't talk politics. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! That's why they have vanilla and chocolate ice cream! Different strokes for different folks.

Hopefully he'll come back!

Comment

Originally posted by NO WAKE View Post
      I guess he decided to not participate any more due to political differences with some other members. It's a shame! The man is a wealth of knowledge!

I have friends that are democrats. We just agree to disagree and don't talk politics. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion! That's why they have vanilla and chocolate ice cream! Different strokes for different folks.

Hopefully he'll come back!
      Yeah, I try not to discuss politics too much.. However, I really don't have any "liberal" friends.. I don't have anything in common with them.. And, whether it's good or bad, the Lord didn't make me the type person to just sit there and say nothing when someone is spouting gibberish.. What I have found to be the biggest difference between ME (I do not like to involve others in my stuff) and the average die hard liberal boils down to this: Facts/reason/logic vs Feelings/emotions/desire.. This is why I do not talk about things with liberals, in general.. They are not logical in their approach.. They very seldom rely on facts and reason.. They are all into how they "feel" about something.. They let their emotions dictate their responses..

One time I was approached by the "plant liberal" and he started going off the chains about George Bush and how we are spending all this money on the military, "Oil this and Oil that".. Halliburton.. Yadda yadda.. I stated how much money we spend on welfare (income tested and non-income tested) compared to the military.. And how it wasn't even close.. He spouted off some numbers that were ridiculous.. So, I went to the CBO.gov website (Congressional Budget Office) and printed off where every penny is spent.. I highlighted the portion for welfare and the portion for military spending.. It was about 3 to 1 (welfare to military).. I said, "I think the return from the military spending is great.. Most advanced military in the world; fighting 2 wars and all for the cost of 500 billion.. He lost his mind.. Literally.. His face turned red.. He started screaming, spitting and called me a "right wing slobber knocker".. Said I can't even think for myself.. He then called the print out "propaganda" and tire it up.. Said it was all lies..

I have learned that I really don't have too much in common with folks like that, so I try to limit my discussions to hello, how are you.. But it inevitably comes up.. And, once it does, they do not like me anymore.. LOL...
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I hear you. I've encountered the same. I run a busy repair shop so my mind is geared toward logical, reasonable solutions to problems. Give me all the facts (good and bad) and most of the time I can come up with a sensible solution. Like you, I don't make decisions based on emotion! The friends I'm referring to I've known since school (40 plus years). The political thing really didn't start to become a problem until about 6 years ago or so. We still hang out frequently but after a heated discussion some two years ago (about politics) we called a truce and just don't discuss it at all. They are great people. Will do anything for you and me in return for them. They have their opinion which I can't change and I have mine (and won't change)! Life goes on.

It's a shame that some folks just can't let it go (myself included). I'm all for helping those in need. Just have a hard time seeing my tax dollars get spent on folks that have made a career out of doing nothing!
        Last edited by NO WAKE; 08-27-2019, 09:24 AM.

Comment

I hear you. I've encountered the same. I run a busy repair shop so my mind is geared toward logical, reasonable solutions to problems. Give me all the facts (good and bad) and most of the time I can come up with a sensible solution. Like you, I don't make decisions based on emotion! The friends I'm referring to I've known since school (40 plus years). The political thing really didn't start to become a problem until about 6 years ago or so. We still hang out frequently but after a heated discussion some two years ago (about politics) we called a truce and just don't discuss it at all. They are great people. Will do anything for you and me in return for them. They have their opinion which I can't change and I have mine (and won't change)! Life goes on.

It's a shame that some folks just can't let it go (myself included). I'm all for helping those in need. Just have a hard time seeing my tax dollars get spent on folks that have made a career out of doing nothing!
          You and me both..

For many, many years, I was a technical troubleshooter/problem solver.. So by nature, I only work with facts, rational thought and reason.. Logic.. Most things are VERY binary.. Black/white.. Not shades of gray..

Like I always tell my children: There is only 1 truth.. Not many versions of it.. Now, I may not like that truth, but that doesn't make it untrue.. My "feelings" about truth have zero to do with it..
          Mobile, Al.
          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

You and me both..

For many, many years, I was a technical troubleshooter/problem solver.. So by nature, I only work with facts, rational thought and reason.. Logic.. Most things are VERY binary.. Black/white.. Not shades of gray..

Like I always tell my children: There is only 1 truth.. Not many versions of it.. Now, I may not like that truth, but that doesn't make it untrue.. My "feelings" about truth have zero to do with it..
            It's funny you say that. I have a similar saying.....you may not like what I'm going to say....but it's the truth! 😃

Comment

It's funny you say that. I have a similar saying.....you may not like what I'm going to say....but it's the truth! 😃
              Another one I told my kids that they still talk about today.. When I would call them out for something, especially for lying or obfuscating the truth (I HATE lying), I got the proverbial, "Don't judge me.." I would hit them with: "Water is wet.. Fire is hot.. Now, I didn't judge either one of those things.. I just simply stated the facts of what they are.. If you do not want to be called a liar, don't lie.." "If you don't like someone labeling you for what you actually are, maybe you need to evaluate yourself and make some changes"..

Boy, they hated that.. LOL...
              Mobile, Al.
              Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Mike to a "sabbatical" TyreTime talks with him.
                I wish he would come back, not sure he will.
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1
                Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

Yeah, I remember talking with him some on THT.. He has a lot of knowledge in the boating industry.. Maybe he will come back..
                  Mobile, Al.
                  Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Mike and Sail were good people, they just couldn't handle their politics. They were the minority on here and they let the button pushers get to them.
                    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Just my opinion, Mike is a fount of knowledge, always will, he's very opinionated on what he wants to discuss and that's what America is all about!

Sailfish is a great guy, I text him occasionally just to say hello, now the real reason I'm jumping in, I've quoted myself several times, boating is what brings us together, not politics!!!

I'm a hardcore Christan-Conservative- Republican, no apologies necessary, I would cruise, fish with anyone regardless of political persuasion, I believe the majority of us on BOB love the water or we wouldn't be here.

God bless America and I miss Mike And Barry, AKA Sailfish.

Good thread Kyle,

Kevin

Comment

We email each other once or twice a month.
                        I like Mike, just lives and breathes what he believes.
                        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                        ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
                          We email each other once or twice a month.
                          I like Mike, just lives and breathes what he believes.
                          Yeah, I actually went back and read the 10 page thread about his hate for Trump and what he thinks of people who support him.. LOL.. He definitely needed a little break.. I think Charlie sent him over the edge (with and assist from thebigwhit)..

He is passionate, that much is for sure..
                          Mobile, Al.
                          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I did have some fun with Mike and Sailfish. I guess it wasn't as much fun for them. Oh well...Charlie
                            Greetings from Lake Hopatcong NJ / Milltown NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Mako runner View Post
                              I did have some fun with Mike and Sailfish. I guess it wasn't as much fun for them. Oh well...Charlie
                              Yeah, they were definitely a little agitated..
                              Mobile, Al.
                              Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Working...
                              X