vibrio vulnificus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrio vulnificus

We all think it can't happen to us but reality sinks in when it hits close to home. Good friend of mine's son in law. Copied from his wife's facebook.

"If you know me, you know I like to joke around. I actually made a joke earlier this week about having necrotizing facistis (just a bug bite). However, it is no joke. I never thought it would happen to anyone I knew especially my husband.

My grandparents have had a cottage in Panacea since before I can remember. I grew up fishing and swimming in the brackish water with no problems. Unfortunately, this was not the case for Cash Burthold this week.

We aren't 100% on how he got it ,but Cash contracted vibrio vulnificus in his right index finger. We know that he cut his finger on the gill plate of a grouper on the 4th and fished off the dock on the panacea Bay on the 5th, exposing himself to multiple supplies of water.

His finger became painful on the 5th,not excruciating but throbbing. Cash noticed it at around 5 pm. We cleaned, applied antibiotic ointment, and wrapped.By the next morning, it was swollen and excruciating. He went to the Urgent Care, where he was treated and sent home. By 3:30 on the 6th, it was blindingly painful. We went straight to the ED. Streaking from the infection was making it up to his shoulder within 24 hours.Cash was admitted and will be there for at least 4 days...multiple IV high-dose antibiotics (I believe 6), opening and drainage of the finger, and tons of pain medication to combat the pain.

Vibrio is a REAL and very dangerous bacteria. It can happen to anyone. I am not saying our family will quit going to the beach or stop fishing (who am I kidding), but we know how important it is to cover open wounds and if there is any doubt...GO IMMEDIATELY TO A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL. Losing a limb is not worth waiting it out to see if it goes away!

Our family is extremely blessed that the good Lord was watching over Cash. Thank you for all the prayers and concerns. We love you all"
    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Wow, great advice and eye opening; had no idea

Comment

Wow, glad he is okay.. It has been a weird year, for sure.. I am very leery about this stuff.. So much if it going around.. Florida has had it bad.. With my leukemia and my weakened immune system, I have to be very vigilant not to get exposed to any brackish water.. I try to avoid touching anything or getting any part of my body that has even a bug bite, in the water.. I certainly hope that the professionals are right and it is only found in the brackish conditions.. Because I keep offshore fishing..

Prayers for your friends son-in-law..
      2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO
      Mobile, Al.
      Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Lot of that in news this year
        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
        ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Merc V8’s on order
        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

I know it may sound dumb but I only learned about it a little over a year ago on THT. We had some local crabbers get it after getting cuts crabbing and it can kill you with in 24hrs. Very scary stuff. I have read if you get a cut clean it with iodine right a way I'm not sure other products are as good I keep some over the counter stuff on the boat I heard it's not as good as the hospital uses but better then most products for clean cuts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post
            I know it may sound dumb but I only learned about it a little over a year ago on THT. We had some local crabbers get it after getting cuts crabbing and it can kill you with in 24hrs. Very scary stuff. I have read if you get a cut clean it with iodine right a way I'm not sure other products are as good I keep some over the counter stuff on the boat I heard it's not as good as the hospital uses but better then most products for clean cuts though.
            Yep.. I carry alcohol on the boat.. They say of you do get cut, clean it IMMEDIATELY with alcohol/peroxide/iodine to clean it out.. Watch closely.. If redness and swelling occur, go to hospital ASAP.. There is a new twist to it now.. Evidently a cancer patient, who was going through treatments, went to the beach in Destin. Well, he got in the water and within 12 hours he had a "black" sore on his back and a rash on his arms and torso.. He was dead in 36 hours.. Same stuff.. Because of his weakened immune system, just skin contact was enough for it to get him.. Really sad.. It is also in the sand..

https://people.com/health/tennessee-...ction-florida/
            https://www.livescience.com/65731-fl...te-change.html
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post

Yep.. I carry alcohol on the boat.. They say of you do get cut, clean it IMMEDIATELY with alcohol/peroxide/iodine to clean it out.. Watch closely.. If redness and swelling occur, go to hospital ASAP.. There is a new twist to it now.. Evidently a cancer patient, who was going through treatments, went to the beach in Destin. Well, he got in the water and within 12 hours he had a "black" sore on his back and a rash on his arms and torso.. He was dead in 36 hours.. Same stuff.. Because of his weakened immune system, just skin contact was enough for it to get him.. Really sad.. It is also in the sand..

https://people.com/health/tennessee-...ction-florida/
              https://www.livescience.com/65731-fl...te-change.html
              I just read about that gentleman last night, very sad.
              Kyle, you have to be very careful when your out, especially with all that stuff running out of Mobile Bay.
              Betcha they dumped a trillion gallons of sewage in last 12 hours

Comment

Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

I just read about that gentleman last night, very sad.
                Kyle, you have to be very careful when your out, especially with all that stuff running out of Mobile Bay.
                Betcha they dumped a trillion gallons of sewage in last 12 hours
                Yep.. Unreal.. We pay 2 times what our water bill is for sewage.. They say it is due to having to "update" all the system.. But, they have been saying that for about 10 years now.. They have gone up 30% in the last 2 years.. Sadly, this is what happens when your tax base shrinks and the vast majority of the "users" in Mobile are welfare cases.. So, they don't pay for their water, gas, power, etc.. If you remember, about 2 years ago, the UN intervened on behalf of some welfare people here in Mobile and told MAWSS (Mobile Water) that it was a basic human right to have clean water and "ordered" them to turn it back on or face the consequences.. I'll give you 3 guess to what they did.. You won't need more than 1..
                Mobile, Al.
                Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Hey, at my house in Daphne I’m still on original septic tank.
                  But guess what, than ran sewer up there about 10 years ago so since it’s available I have to pay for it.
                  I asked why would you want another user when you can’t handle what you have now? No answer

Comment

But guess what, than ran sewer up there about 10 years ago so since it’s available I have to pay for it.
                    I asked why would you want another user when you can’t handle what you have now? No answer
                    LOL.. That's a great question, actually.. I am SHOCKED they didn't answer.. Nah, not really.. Good one..
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Crickets,
                      I think both you and Kyle are successful at life so therefore you will be hated and pay so that everyone else gets free stuff, the new American way!
                      Sad really, now go and continue to be successful, I appreciate your efforts, I've never personally been employed by a poor man!

Nice proactive steps you're taking Kyle to prevent possible infection on your boat while fishing.

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post

Crickets,
                        I think both you and Kyle are successful at life so therefore you will be hated and pay so that everyone else gets free stuff, the new American way!
                        Sad really, now go and continue to be successful, I appreciate your efforts, I've never personally been employed by a poor man!

Nice proactive steps you're taking Kyle to prevent possible infection on your boat while fishing.

BWP
                        Just a working stiff Kevin.. I was a shift worker up until I started treatments for my Leukemia.. Just can't keep up the pace and long hours anymore.. Blessed to have a wonderful company I work for that has really tried their best to accommodate me.. They created a new position, basically.. One that got me off of shift work.. However, that change came with an extensive change in my income.. As in far less.. But, God is faithful and we have adapted, with a little help here and there.. Certainly a "new" lifestyle for us, but I am blessed to have a beautiful wife that cares more about me than "stuff"..

The Lord has taught me some very valuable lessons through all of this.. And, I have been able to meet some good people along the way.. Joey, Ole, you, and others.. Even though mostly online, it is still nice to become acquainted with you guys.. Joey has become my personal sounding board.. LOL.. But he said he didn't mind..

Kyle
                        Mobile, Al.
                        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Here ya go Kyle

Reported so far.....
                          120, 000 gallons of sewage in Daphne
                          80,000 in Mobile
                          75,000 in Fairhope
                          So you can likely double that, plus all the others who haven’t reported.

I wonder when/if ADEM (Alabama Dept of Environmental Mgmt) is ever going to do anything about this?
                          Seem like they’d issue a moratorium on all building until they can increase capacity........NOPE!
                          Tax revenue takes precedent over all else

Comment

Here ya go Kyle

Reported so far.....
                            120, 000 gallons of sewage in Daphne
                            80,000 in Mobile
                            75,000 in Fairhope
                            So you can likely double that, plus all the others who haven’t reported.

I wonder when/if ADEM (Alabama Dept of Environmental Mgmt) is ever going to do anything about this?
                            Seem like they’d issue a moratorium on all building until they can increase capacity........NOPE!
                            Tax revenue takes precedent over all else
                            Yep.. We have to deal with ADEM on a regular basis. Well, most enforcement agencies like MAWSS, ADEM, EPA, etc... And yes, Mobile Water hasan enforcement division for the industrial sector. They randomly show up to collect tests of your outflow to make sure that you are within permit.

Funny thing about ADEM.. When you fuss at them about the "rules" and the interpretation of said rules, they always default to: "Take it up with the EPA".. "We don't make the rules, we just enforce them"..
                            Mobile, Al.
                            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Albany Ga has spills (accidental of course) into the Flint regularly. They were given federal money back after the 94 flood to upgrade the system. They squandered the money and now the EPD is not enforcing the fines on them.
                              Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

Working...
                              X