Economy------.

Are we seeing shift?
    - Toys R Us, done.
    - Winn Dixie, circling.
    - Interest rates, up.

• bluewaterposer
    replied
    Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Sometimes you have to dive deeper into financials of a company to discover real health, or lack thereof.
    As you know, fancy accounting, loopholes and net loss are way different than actual cash flow.......think Sean
    Could probably dig around and find an income stmt & balance sheet as that’ll tell you whole story.
    However, when selling a company or having an IPO offering you’d think a net profit would be in order.
    I’ll drop something into mail for you to peruse I just received from Boca Group that flipped us from ‘07-‘011
    Tease.
    All that financial talk, .
    carry on, I'm just having my usual fun!
    BWP

Leave a comment:

• Tiretyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
    Chewy.com
    What am I missing? Sales up over 1b and still looses 267mm?
    https://www.thestreet.com/markets/ch...llion-14991747
    Sometimes you have to dive deeper into financials of a company to discover real health, or lack thereof.
    As you know, fancy accounting, loopholes and net loss are way different than actual cash flow.......think Sean
    Could probably dig around and find an income stmt & balance sheet as that’ll tell you whole story.
    However, when selling a company or having an IPO offering you’d think a net profit would be in order.
    I’ll drop something into mail for you to peruse I just received from Boca Group that flipped us from ‘07-‘011

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    Chewy.com
    What am I missing? Sales up over 1b and still looses 267mm?
    https://www.thestreet.com/markets/ch...llion-14991747

Leave a comment:

• Parker Yacht
    replied
    Office Depot.

Leave a comment:

• Adam9066
    replied
    Originally posted by NO WAKE View Post

You aren't alone in the lack of loads department! All of the local haulers are dealing with the same problem. We're a Utility and a Wilson dealer so I talk to the grain haulers all the time. It's been tough for them. Let me know if you ever need anything if you have equipment problems up on Delmarva. Work #302-337-7400, Mobile #302-381-8494. Would be glad to help if I can.
    I'm gonna keep your number I need a refer unit soon. I just have to put my 2013 sleeper back together a car t-boned it in the fuel tank and bent the frame. In putting new frame rails in when I get back from florida.

Leave a comment:

• NO WAKE
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post

Chesapeake, virginia. What gets me is they demand for us to be there when they want us. But when we have no work the trucks sit in the yard. The grain production used to be steady but as of lately it's all over the place. The equipment at the plant is old and breaks down alot or they divert grain from the plant to load ships so they cut our loads suddenly with little notice leaving us no chance to find new work.

I need a minimum of 100 runs a week. Next week we have 45 runs.
    You aren't alone in the lack of loads department! All of the local haulers are dealing with the same problem. We're a Utility and a Wilson dealer so I talk to the grain haulers all the time. It's been tough for them. Let me know if you ever need anything if you have equipment problems up on Delmarva. Work #302-337-7400, Mobile #302-381-8494. Would be glad to help if I can.

Curtis
    Last edited by NO WAKE; 05-10-2019, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Tiretyme
    replied
    Originally posted by hi_c View Post
    Hard to say what the govt is going to do regarding Social Security, pensions, and other promissory payments to citizens. Govt run healthcare still hasn't settled and we've been dealing with Obamacare for 4 years now. My advice is not count on govt provided income. Invest and save as though they are no help. And if you do get a check, smile and fill the boat with gas.
    Well I’m (we’re) dang sure planning on getting SS monthly—some day
    Figure between us should be in $4k range, and that is what I’ve budgeted for private healthcare, dental, medical procedures, doctor visits, meds, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Adam9066
    replied

I don't blame you! You have to look out for yourself! Perdue is the company that had the layoff. Where are you located?
    Chesapeake, virginia. What gets me is they demand for us to be there when they want us. But when we have no work the trucks sit in the yard. The grain production used to be steady but as of lately it's all over the place. The equipment at the plant is old and breaks down alot or they divert grain from the plant to load ships so they cut our loads suddenly with little notice leaving us no chance to find new work.

I need a minimum of 100 runs a week. Next week we have 45 runs.

Leave a comment:

• NO WAKE
    replied
    Originally posted by Adam9066 View Post
    I haul a ton of grain and soy beans for purdue. The import export has been a nightmare for us lately. The swing in volume has been drastic and they expect us to ship ar max volume and then to sit around and wait till volume picks up. We have a new contract coming up in July and we are not working for Purdue anymore.
    I don't blame you! You have to look out for yourself! Perdue is the company that had the layoff. Where are you located?

Leave a comment:

• Adam9066
    replied
    We've noticed a slow down in our shop. I'm a Service Manager at a Class 8 trailer dealership. Poultry industry is big in our area (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) and all of the big players here have been hurt by the tariffs. Their exports have fallen way off. One company laid off 140 people from their corporate headquarters here locally.

We perform repairs on their trailers. Money has gotten tight for them so they have cut way back on repairs being sent out. Or they choose to perform patch jobs instead of proper factory type repairs to their trailers. We're still having a good year but not as good as last year.
    I haul a ton of grain and soy beans for purdue. The import export has been a nightmare for us lately. The swing in volume has been drastic and they expect us to ship ar max volume and then to sit around and wait till volume picks up. We have a new contract coming up in July and we are not working for Purdue anymore.

Leave a comment:

• hi_c
    replied
    Hard to say what the govt is going to do regarding Social Security, pensions, and other promissory payments to citizens. Govt run healthcare still hasn't settled and we've been dealing with Obamacare for 4 years now. My advice is not count on govt provided income. Invest and save as though they are no help. And if you do get a check, smile and fill the boat with gas.

Leave a comment:

• bluewaterposer
    replied
    I like this!
    my 401 k grew 30k in the 1st quarter this year outpacing my income by a factor of probably 1.5, COOL!

This is a question best left for the holding tank, do you forsee Fed Government absconded with private retirement savings vehicle?
    I'm a cynical 55 yo that is expecting the worse out of gov't at all levels, but wait, there's more, what will happen to all the over promised, under funded publice pension plans such as NJ, Illinois, California, etc?

I would love your opinion on such things, check in with us here more often on BOB,
    Thanks, Kevin, the real BWP.

Leave a comment:

• hi_c
    replied
    I work in the finance industry. Generally speaking, the economy is doing well. The inverted yield curve that occurred last month upset some stomachs, but then the Fed acted on their words to hold the rates for the rest of the year, jobs increased in April more than expected, and unemployment is at a 49-year low. The 3.6% unemployed is basically you can afford not to work, or you're between jobs because you just quit one to get more money at another. Wages have increased 3.2% year over year as well. All this indicates that a recession is at least 12-18 months away, if not more.

Again, this is on a national scale and there would be regional differences in the US based on industries. The major blips on the radar in order of significance include: trade with China (tariffs) and geopolitical conflicts (Iran, Russia, NoKorea, Venezuela - also in order).

In conclusion, people generally have more money in their pocket to spend than they did a year ago and consumer sentiment is above average. The American consumer is the strongest force of our economy. The recent perception that "my tax return was too low" may have caused a temporary spending dip in the first quarter, but if they actually look at their tax return, 8 out of 10 people paid less in taxes for the year on a whole. In the end, summer spending is expected to return.

I'm in my 40s and my 401k is still in 90% risky stocks and 10% in mid-risk stocks.

Oh, and trust me, i have a beard!

Leave a comment:

• NO WAKE
    replied
    We've noticed a slow down in our shop. I'm a Service Manager at a Class 8 trailer dealership. Poultry industry is big in our area (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) and all of the big players here have been hurt by the tariffs. Their exports have fallen way off. One company laid off 140 people from their corporate headquarters here locally.

We perform repairs on their trailers. Money has gotten tight for them so they have cut way back on repairs being sent out. Or they choose to perform patch jobs instead of proper factory type repairs to their trailers. We're still having a good year but not as good as last year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X