Economy------.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfercross View Post
    For me and other tile contractors we are slammed with work. I go from one giant house to the next giant house.
    Exactly! It’s been very hard for me to find quality subs because they are all busy working for contractors. My floor guy lost his helper, had a vacation in June and took seven weeks to finish job. My sister rec’d him so I just bit my lip because didn’t want him to pack his stuff up halfway through job.

He did great on laying out and installing floors but was rough as hell on my newly painted walls, and I had to clean glue off every single board, literally. First room I did on my hands and knees, then said eff-it. I put mineral spirits in a spray bottle and mopped the heck out of it twice, then cleaned it twice with wood Swiffer.

So that has left me doing everything else.
    ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
    ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
    Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

For me and other tile contractors we are slammed with work. I go from one giant house to the next giant house.
      I think that is about to stop.

Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1
      Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Exactly! It’s been very hard for me to find quality subs because they are all busy working for contractors. My floor guy lost his helper, had a vacation in June and took seven weeks to finish job. My sister rec’d him so I just bit my lip because didn’t want him to pack his stuff up halfway through job.

He did great on laying out and installing floors but was rough as hell on my newly painted walls, and I had to clean glue off every single board, literally. First room I did on my hands and knees, then said eff-it. I put mineral spirits in a spray bottle and mopped the heck out of it twice, then cleaned it twice with wood Swiffer.

So that has left me doing everything else.
        At least this made me feel better today.

I just had the 2nd of 2 rooms completed yesterday re-flooring with tile. Same flooring store I've been using since I built my house 29 years ago but 2 different gypsy sub's for install. The mess they left me with will have me cleaning & touching up paint all weekend. On one hand I want to raise hell with the store and make them deal with it. On the other, I won't let those subs back in my house, don't want to deal with any more of the inconvenience nor don't give-a-shit attitude. Probably gonna do it myself and get on with life.

As far as the economy...... I gave up long ago trying to predict that, paying attention to the pundits or even giving it much attention. It's like trying to fight the weather. Noone really has a clue what it's going to do and I have no control over it. So I just move forward, bust hump & make money when it allows and bitch and lose money when it doesn't. My only strategy is I'm hoarding cash and if another recession does hit, I'm selling out and retiring (or semi-retire).

I will say this, I see no signs yet of housing slowing in my area. If all jobs pan out as we're being told, we have work till almost this time next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
          I think that is about to stop.
          Ya know I am not so sure about that Ole. We worked all the way through the last recession in the same west Boca neighborhood. These people are recession proof. Very wealthy no doubt.

Comment

• Originally posted by duckfish View Post

At least this made me feel better today.

I just had the 2nd of 2 rooms completed yesterday re-flooring with tile. Same flooring store I've been using since I built my house 29 years ago but 2 different gypsy sub's for install. The mess they left me with will have me cleaning & touching up paint all weekend. On one hand I want to raise hell with the store and make them deal with it. On the other, I won't let those subs back in my house, don't want to deal with any more of the inconvenience nor don't give-a-shit attitude. Probably gonna do it myself and get on with life.

As far as the economy...... I gave up long ago trying to predict that, paying attention to the pundits or even giving it much attention. It's like trying to fight the weather. Noone really has a clue what it's going to do and I have no control over it. So I just move forward, bust hump & make money when it allows and bitch and lose money when it doesn't. My only strategy is I'm hoarding cash and if another recession does hit, I'm selling out and retiring (or semi-retire).

I will say this, I see no signs yet of housing slowing in my area. If all jobs pan out as we're being told, we have work till almost this time next year.
            Just so ya know not all tile contractors are like that. I would make them come back and clean up the walls.

Comment

Ya know I am not so sure about that Ole. We worked all the way through the last recession in the same west Boca neighborhood. These people are recession proof. Very wealthy no doubt.
              An then there is that, good for you.
              I have talked with some people about it. And Vantaredoc for TOS is the same as me, when the recession does start, it's better for us.
              They will fix their 200+k used boat, not buy a new 500+k new one.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post

An then there is that, good for you.
                I have talked with some people about it. And Vantaredoc for TOS is the same as me, when the recession does start, it's better for us.
                They will fix their 200+k used boat, not buy a new 500+k new one.
                See that's what I am talking about. These big houses are all remodels. The people we work for can't stand to see their neighbor have a nicer house so it spreads right on down the street.

Comment

• Well another trigger point is the the World, other than maybe China, is awash in depth.
                  USA - $23 trillion, right? Nope, not even close.
                  There’s another $21 trillion off balance sheet/books discovered by Mark Skidmore. https://usawatchdog.com/missing-21-t...mark-skidmore/ if you believe this stuff.
                  Now all that info is classified.
                  If it’s tariff driven, I feel relatively certain that Trump would retreat rather than risk a recession from upping current tariff schedule
                  Someday it’s all going to fall apart. If it’s in my lifetime, I have no idea
                  ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                  ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                  Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

Just so ya know not all tile contractors are like that. I would make them come back and clean up the walls.

I'm certain they're not. We've had other tile work done over the years that I was completely happy with. Just unlucky this time around.

No offense intended to the trade in general.

I'll have to post of pic of our dining room and get the opinion of a professional. This kid was anything but IMO. And smack full of that millennial mouth and attitude that just makes me grind my teeth. Took him over a week to do the job and by then, I couldn't get him out of my house soon enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X