Economy------.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont even get me started on gasoline prices. Living here in the state that had the highest gasoline tax in the nation, I'm just happy it's under $5 a gallon.

Comment

• Seems like the economy is slowing down here. People are having a hard time paying repair Bill's and a lot of guys are going days with out work in the trucking industry. We are also starting to see a drop off in trucking rates which is not good as the rates are already pretty low.

Comment

• We were good on gas until state legislature just approved another gas tax, wtf?
        Now $2.49, so that means $3.50- $4.00 on the water........,.,just in time for summer
        ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
        ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post
          We were good on gas until state legislature just approved another gas tax, wtf?
          Now $2.49, so that means $3.50- $4.00 on the water........,.,just in time for summer
          Now looky here.....AL has some of the cheapest gas anywhere. You should be proud to contribute a little more to the vortex.

Comment

• My area is run by agriculture. A lot of belts got tightened by Michael and then 3 months of rain last year.
            Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

• If a slow down is coming, it isn't yet, I was by the Club this weekend, lot's of new boats to old owners, or at least new to them.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Yep, things seem to be rolling along just fine
                See latest unemployment stats?
                That’s why it’s hard to find decent help right now

Comment

• Well, it's getting tight somewhere.
                  Just talked to a supplier and they are down, they heard of another "BIG" supplier who is down 10%.
                  Wha Wo.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1

[email protected]
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
                    Well, it's getting tight somewhere.
                    Just talked to a supplier and they are down, they heard of another "BIG" supplier who is down 10%.
                    Wha Wo.
                    Hmmmmm, 10 points is a lot!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

Hmmmmm, 10 points is a lot!!
                      Yes, and they are big, national. And, it's not "W".
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

[email protected]
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• My business is blowing up I have to turn potential customers away everyday.

Comment

• We've noticed a slow down in our shop. I'm a Service Manager at a Class 8 trailer dealership. Poultry industry is big in our area (Delaware, Maryland, Virginia) and all of the big players here have been hurt by the tariffs. Their exports have fallen way off. One company laid off 140 people from their corporate headquarters here locally.

We perform repairs on their trailers. Money has gotten tight for them so they have cut way back on repairs being sent out. Or they choose to perform patch jobs instead of proper factory type repairs to their trailers. We're still having a good year but not as good as last year.

Comment

• I work in the finance industry. Generally speaking, the economy is doing well. The inverted yield curve that occurred last month upset some stomachs, but then the Fed acted on their words to hold the rates for the rest of the year, jobs increased in April more than expected, and unemployment is at a 49-year low. The 3.6% unemployed is basically you can afford not to work, or you're between jobs because you just quit one to get more money at another. Wages have increased 3.2% year over year as well. All this indicates that a recession is at least 12-18 months away, if not more.

Again, this is on a national scale and there would be regional differences in the US based on industries. The major blips on the radar in order of significance include: trade with China (tariffs) and geopolitical conflicts (Iran, Russia, NoKorea, Venezuela - also in order).

In conclusion, people generally have more money in their pocket to spend than they did a year ago and consumer sentiment is above average. The American consumer is the strongest force of our economy. The recent perception that "my tax return was too low" may have caused a temporary spending dip in the first quarter, but if they actually look at their tax return, 8 out of 10 people paid less in taxes for the year on a whole. In the end, summer spending is expected to return.

I'm in my 40s and my 401k is still in 90% risky stocks and 10% in mid-risk stocks.

Oh, and trust me, i have a beard!

Comment

• I like this!
                              my 401 k grew 30k in the 1st quarter this year outpacing my income by a factor of probably 1.5, COOL!

This is a question best left for the holding tank, do you forsee Fed Government absconded with private retirement savings vehicle?
                              I'm a cynical 55 yo that is expecting the worse out of gov't at all levels, but wait, there's more, what will happen to all the over promised, under funded publice pension plans such as NJ, Illinois, California, etc?

I would love your opinion on such things, check in with us here more often on BOB,
                              Thanks, Kevin, the real BWP.

Comment

• Hard to say what the govt is going to do regarding Social Security, pensions, and other promissory payments to citizens. Govt run healthcare still hasn't settled and we've been dealing with Obamacare for 4 years now. My advice is not count on govt provided income. Invest and save as though they are no help. And if you do get a check, smile and fill the boat with gas.

Comment

Working...
                                X