Economy------.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

What’s the status of the grocery store there? Harvey’s ? I don’t deal with grocery anymore...I assume it will be sold. Walmart sucks on meat and produce...
    It is empty at the moment. Haven't heard any substantial news on a replacement. We have an IGA store that has good meat (pork, beef and chicken) at very fair prices. The IGA has fair produce and does buy locally when in season, their general groceries is a limited variety and brands. And yes we have Wally. To be honest, Wally's meats were better than Harvey's at the end, but that ain't saying a whole lot.
    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slough View Post

It is empty at the moment. Haven't heard any substantial news on a replacement. We have an IGA store that has good meat (pork, beef and chicken) at very fair prices. The IGA has fair produce and does buy locally when in season, their general groceries is a limited variety and brands. And yes we have Wally. To be honest, Wally's meats were better than Harvey's at the end, but that ain't saying a whole lot.
      Town may not be big enough to support another store. The IGA should get some benefit from Harvey’s departure. Would really suck to only have WM for groceries. WM is super efficient at everything but getting stuff from the backroom to the shelf. Drives the management insane......

Comment

• Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

Town may not be big enough to support another store. The IGA should get some benefit from Harvey’s departure. Would really suck to only have WM for groceries. WM is super efficient at everything but getting stuff from the backroom to the shelf. Drives the management insane......
        Not in the grocery business, but I do believe we are big enough to support a nice moderately size store. I forgot we do have another independent small Indian run store on the north side. Harvey's stayed busy most of the time. I know times have changed and the inventory ( varieties of items) has grown, but back in the 70's/80's we had 7 grocery stores in town. 4 (2 chians, 2 family owned) were of fair size with the other 3 smaller family stores.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slough View Post

Not in the grocery business, but I do believe we are big enough to support a nice moderately size store. I forgot we do have another independent small Indian run store on the north side. Harvey's stayed busy most of the time. I know times have changed and the inventory ( varieties of items) has grown, but back in the 70's/80's we had 7 grocery stores in town. 4 (2 chians, 2 family owned) were of fair size with the other 3 smaller family stores.
          Some of the Harvey’s have been reopened by independents. Waycross, etc. Never know... if I had the existing Independent store there now I might be trying to upscale a bit. Get the shoppers with money....

Comment

• So I see lately where people are balking at the Proposed raise in the Bahamian VAT tax, plus where people are pulling back on the throttle to save fuel.
            That and the raising of fuel prices, now at $2.97 at the pump here in Laudy, is this the beginning?
            People questioning pricing going to the Bahamas, VAT, etc.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
              So I see lately where people are balking at the Proposed raise in the Bahamian VAT tax, plus where people are pulling back on the throttle to save fuel.
              That and the raising of fuel prices, now at $2.97 at the pump here in Laudy, is this the beginning?
              People questioning pricing going to the Bahamas, VAT, etc.
              I heard the other day that Atlantis has had its best quarter in 9 years for this spring. Yacht charters( Day charters especially for the Nassau based Motor Yachts) are down a bit due to the horrible weather we have had so far but there is still a lot of tourist dollars flowing into the Bahamas. Our restaurant just did 100 something covers for lunch service today, yesterday when it was windy they did 4!

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeO View Post

I heard the other day that Atlantis has had its best quarter in 9 years for this spring. Yacht charters( Day charters especially for the Nassau based Motor Yachts) are down a bit due to the horrible weather we have had so far but there is still a lot of tourist dollars flowing into the Bahamas. Our restaurant just did 100 something covers for lunch service today, yesterday when it was windy they did 4!
                Someone had stated that a Bahamian house rental had gone from 15 weeks a year to 30, due to PR and the Virgin Islands not having any.
                I was at Bahia Mar yesterday, summer dockage is $1.50 per ft per day for a 60' - 90' bote.
                That is CHEAP!
                Engine Sales and Service
                Ph +1 954.463.1515
                Fx +1

[email protected]
                www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• I don’t know.........just read this yesterday. Kinda where I start getting nervous.
                  People start defaulting and here comes the domino effect.
                  Plus housing flat, however jobs are good. Not sure about underemployment?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-...they-make-28th

’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s Sold
                  ’20 Invincible 35’ Cat, Quad Verado’s on order
                  Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

• When one closes someone else takes up the slack, those customers don't just die. As long as sales overall are good there will be employment. Once interest rates get to a point home prices will have to come down to offset the amount people are spending on the banks interest. Let rates go too high A la Jimmy Carter and you'll see many sales being funded by cash with low asking prices.

Comment

• Just got our first notification from a vendor that they will be implementing a tariff increase, I am sure we will see more.
                      Thoughts?
                      Engine Sales and Service
                      Ph +1 954.463.1515
                      Fx +1

[email protected]
                      www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Seeing a lot of automotive parts price increases.

Comment

• Mercury announced increases on certain HP outboards that are assembled in China.
                          Andrew Munao Jr
                          Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                          888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

• We need to raise interest rates and forget tariffs. Although the I believe the true nature of the tariffs were to punish Chinese companies that are stealing intellectual property. We are due for a reset in the economy and the government created bubble needs to pop.

Comment

• Do the big three outboard engines makers know more than us?
                              Yamaha has a shortage on engine 200 hp and above.
                              Mercury has a shortage on 150 hp and above.
                              Suzuki the same.
                              Yet, none of the above are pushing out more engines, they are staying within their production quota.
                              Can all three be waiting on suppliers, or not up production rates at once?
                              Engine Sales and Service
                              Ph +1 954.463.1515
                              Fx +1

[email protected]
                              www.parkeryacht.com

Member of the MSHS Group

Comment

• Would it make sense to increase production at a time all your materials and raw materials are skyrocketing? There's no certainty in what the next move from the Ego-in-Chief will be. American auto sales in China are crashing and engine parts prices from China are increasing rapidly. There's already talk of pretty good spikes in the costs of new cars and trucks. Outboard motors could easily follow.

Comment

Working...
                                X