Economy------.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Economy------.

    Are we seeing shift?
    - Toys R Us, done.
    - Winn Dixie, circling.
    - Interest rates, up.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    954.463.4904
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

    oparker@parkeryacht.com
    www.parkeryacht.com

    Member of the MSHS Group

  • #2
    I Heart Radio chapter 11, largest radio broadcaster and syndicator for Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. 850 stations.

    Gander Mountain

    Radio Shack

    HHGregg

    Perfumania

    Eastern Outfitters

    West Seal

    Payless Shoe Stores

    Gymboree

    Bon Ton Stores

    Not a good year for retailers, that's for sure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Radio Shack shoulda stuck with what they were good at.
      They didn't, lost who they where and never found their way.
      Engine Sales and Service
      Ph +1 954.463.1515
      Fx +1
      954.463.4904
      Toll Free: 800.622.6747

      oparker@parkeryacht.com
      www.parkeryacht.com

      Member of the MSHS Group

      Comment


      • #4
        Every company listed here appears to be losing out to competition and that's what happens in a free market. In the meantime, Amazon is flourishing as is a number of other retailers. One can usually, as in Sears/Kmart, see the hand writing on the wall just by visiting their outlets. We have lost 3 out of 4 malls in Toledo due to upgraded shopping areas and many other malls nationwide have either closed or are slowly failing. Change happens.

        Comment


        • #5
          Erie is right Amazon is changing the retail game.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Sailfish 218 View Post
            I Heart Radio chapter 11, largest radio broadcaster and syndicator for Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. 850 stations.

            Gander Mountain

            Radio Shack

            HHGregg

            Perfumania

            Eastern Outfitters

            West Seal

            Payless Shoe Stores

            Gymboree

            Bon Ton Stores

            Not a good year for retailers, that's for sure.
            Never heard of some of those before.

            iheart is so debt ridden from acquisitions that they filed to restructure everything from debt to leases, and hang out a bunch of vendors who are not critical to ongoing business.

            Others are are aquired by Venture Capital groups who are usually a bunch of cut throat guys who'll BK one in a hurry if the desired rate of return is not achieved, leaving a trail of bodies in their wake. Look up Sun Capital out of Boca as an example.

            I'd imagine that electronics are one of the biggest commodities sold.

            I stopped in big Shoe Station (a first for me) the other day looking for something specific and it was a zoo! Not to mention about as disorganized of a store I've ever seen. I'd hate to inventory one of those!!

            We need a few interest rate bumps to control this growth a tad or another big dip is just around the corner. Remember, lots of companies, and people, have been sitting on piles of cash for awhile and things didn't really shift into high gear until after the election.

            Haven't studied up on personal debt in quite sometime, but believe financing is fairly easy to acquire right now.

            ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
            '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
            '18 Fountain 38 - sold
            ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

            Comment


            • #7
              Southeastern Grocers closing 96 stores across 6 states. Harvey's is one of the names that Southeastern owns. The one in Camilla is closing. That will leave us with Wally world and an IGA. IGA has great meat at fair prices but not a big selection of other items.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Slough View Post
                Southeastern Grocers closing 96 stores across 6 states. Harvey's is one of the names that Southeastern owns. The one in Camilla is closing. That will leave us with Wally world and an IGA. IGA has great meat at fair prices but not a big selection of other items.
                Is that who owns Winn Dixie?
                We have quite a lot of WD's in our area, five between my house and beach which is right around an hours drive.
                Publix and Walmart seem to be kicking their tail
                ‘12 Blackwood 27 - sold
                '17 Nor-Tech 340 - sold
                '18 Fountain 38 - sold
                ’19 Invincible 36 - 350 Verado’s

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tiretyme View Post

                  Is that who owns Winn Dixie?
                  We have quite a lot of WD's in our area, five between my house and beach which is right around an hours drive.
                  Publix and Walmart seem to be kicking their tail
                  I think so. Harvey's was an old family run store out of Douglas Ga. Mr Harvey turned it into a pretty large chain. Our Winn Dixie closed and Harvey's moved into the building and later built a new store next to the old. Later Mr. Harvey sold out (not sure who) and next it was bought by Southeastern which I heard owned Winn Dixie.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    There is a shift in the economy as the smaller, less competitive brands are phased out. People buy on price or quality, so middle ground, good enough doesnt cut it anymore, or at least the perception of middle ground, good enough. Look at Harbor Freight. They sell cheap goods that are good enough for what most people use them for. Or you can buy a Festool, or whatever the current German precision tool is these days. If your business depends on it, get the quality product. if you just need something once, rent or buy cheap.

                    Winn Dixie stores always felt and looked second rate to Publix and maybe even Albertsons. Kmart feels shoddy even when compared to Target. Walmart is where you go for cheap. Either find a niche, be the cheapest or be the best. mid pack,mid price, mid value may be good enough, but doesnt sound like a great business plan to me.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by manitunc View Post
                      There is a shift in the economy as the smaller, less competitive brands are phased out. People buy on price or quality, so middle ground, good enough doesnt cut it anymore, or at least the perception of middle ground, good enough. Look at Harbor Freight. They sell cheap goods that are good enough for what most people use them for. Or you can buy a Festool, or whatever the current German precision tool is these days. If your business depends on it, get the quality product. if you just need something once, rent or buy cheap.

                      Winn Dixie stores always felt and looked second rate to Publix and maybe even Albertsons. Kmart feels shoddy even when compared to Target. Walmart is where you go for cheap. Either find a niche, be the cheapest or be the best. mid pack,mid price, mid value may be good enough, but doesnt sound like a great business plan to me.
                      I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't account for Amazon's dominance. They are neither top end or cheap.....

                      Walmart has a solid e-commerce presence as well as Harbor Freight. I think in those markets, that is critical. Hard to do with food though, even though I know of many because of our rural area that buy food through Amazon and other e-commerce food outlets.
                      Andrew Munao Jr
                      Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
                      888-231-2392 | andyjr@shipyardisland.com | simyamaha.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Slough View Post

                        I think so. Harvey's was an old family run store out of Douglas Ga. Mr Harvey turned it into a pretty large chain. Our Winn Dixie closed and Harvey's moved into the building and later built a new store next to the old. Later Mr. Harvey sold out (not sure who) and next it was bought by Southeastern which I heard owned Winn Dixie.
                        Harvey's was purchased by Delhaize (Food Lion) who later sold the stores to Southeastern. Harvey's survived pretty well with Food Lion because they were left to operate as a separate company. Decisions were still made in GA.

                        Winn-Dixie had its best years in the 70's and 80's. Many many bad decisions later, along with two bankruptcies, Winn-Dixie ended up being purchased by Bi-Lo and then Southeastern. I had the pleasure of dealing with Winn-Dixie in the early 2000's. Nothing like calling on a dying account. Walmart did most of the damage with Publix and Kroger finishing them off. They couldn't figure out if they wanted to appeal to high or low end shoppers. Crushed in the middle.

                        Southeastern tried to make a run with three very weak banners. Just a matter of time.

                        The store in Camilla will be for sale. It is possible it may reopen with a different operator and banner.
                        Last edited by Pstephens46; 03-19-2018, 04:48 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pstephens46 View Post

                          Harvey's was purchased by Delhaize (Food Lion) who later sold the stores to Southeastern. Harvey's survived pretty well with Food Lion because they were left to operate as a separate company. Decisions were still made in GA.

                          Winn-Dixie had its best years in the 70's and 80's. Many, many bad decisions later, along with two bankruptcies, Winn-Dixie ended up being purchased by Bi-Lo and then Southeastern. I had the pleasure of dealing with Winn-Dixie in the early 2000's. Nothing like calling on a dying account. Walmart did most of the damage with Publix and Kroger finishing them off. They couldn't figure out if they wanted to appeal to high or low end shoppers. Crushed in the middle.

                          Southeastern tried to make a run with three very weak banners. Just a matter of time.

                          The store in Camilla will be for sale. It is possible it may reopen with a different operator and banner.
                          Thanks for filling in the blanks. Hope something comes.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Amazon is just the behemoth squashing everything else. They are everything combined in one. Ebay for those who don't bid. Jeff Bezos said he wants to list everything that can possibly be sold online. Setting up the Prime accounts was his way of locking a consumer into Amazon. Free shipping on anything. Why go anywhere else? Not many different ways to pull that concept off.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by manitunc View Post
                              There is a shift in the economy as the smaller, less competitive brands are phased out. People buy on price or quality, so middle ground, good enough doesnt cut it anymore, or at least the perception of middle ground, good enough. Look at Harbor Freight. They sell cheap goods that are good enough for what most people use them for. Or you can buy a Festool, or whatever the current German precision tool is these days. If your business depends on it, get the quality product. if you just need something once, rent or buy cheap.

                              Winn Dixie stores always felt and looked second rate to Publix and maybe even Albertsons. Kmart feels shoddy even when compared to Target. Walmart is where you go for cheap. Either find a niche, be the cheapest or be the best. mid pack,mid price, mid value may be good enough, but doesnt sound like a great business plan to me.
                              As a kid I remember the Publix in Clearwater
                              The old original signage
                              Then as a newly married my wife went to the same store
                              Store managers name was Mr Parsons

                              Coincidance the subject of Publix and Wynn Dixie has come up because a day or two ago I was comparing the two in my mind because I shop both
                              I live on both coats of Florida thus do alot of shopping for myself and I've turned into a real price comparer over the years.
                              There's no doubt that Publix comes off much nicer than Wynn Dixie as a facility
                              Their prices are higher though on many things so some stuff I buy at Publix and some at Wynn Dixie

                              I'm sorry to understand that maybe Wynn Dixie isn't doing so good
                              I thought the new concept of lower prices was working for them
                              I'm out of Waffles and Bacon
                              Bacon is always much less money at Wynne Dixie by alot
                              Waffles can vary back and forth but the Southeastern Grocers Waffles and pancakes are always very low priced at Wynn Dixie
                              Publix has better deals on Dog Food and Cat food and cat litter though

                              I dont know of a better sub deal than a Publix sub

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X