Theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft

The boy wants to start doing some trips with his skiff. Trailer it, say up to Suwannee and stay at a fish camp.
    Or A keys trip. A river trip or freshwater fish camp on a lake etc

we keep the boat at the house. We take the 15 off every night for safe keeping. Bolted or not, fockers will steal it quick.

how can one protect their motor on out of town trips ?

Originally posted by Ol Mucky View Post
    The boy wants to start doing some trips with his skiff. Trailer it, say up to Suwannee and stay at a fish camp.

we keep the boat at the house. We take the 15 off every night for safe keeping. Bolted or not, fockers will steal it quick.

Get a King and sleep with it.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

I bolted my 15 to the boat, not 100% but it sure beat them from twisting the handles a turn or two and walking off with her.
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Yup, bolt it ... whilst locks and bolts et all only keep the honest people honest ... the best you can do is make them STEAL an easier to grab motor!

That's my house/castle philosophy too ... make them go next door!

The T I M E factor is what you want to add as the security feature. Maybe a solar light off the camp with motion sensor? Or vibration sensor alarm too as bonuses?
        Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Bike cable locked around something solid in the boat. Harder to cut than chain, plastic coating resists staining.

Bolt it through the transom and bugger up the threads.

​​​​​​​Put an old E-tech cowling on it.

​​​​​​​Pour a pint of used motor oil down the side of it.

​​​​​​​Completely coat it with spray undercoating from a rattle can.

Comment

Originally posted by V_Thirteen View Post
            Bike cable locked around something solid in the boat. Harder to cut than chain, plastic coating resists staining.

Bolt it through the transom and bugger up the threads.

Put an old E-tech cowling on it.

Pour a pint of used motor oil down the side of it.

​​​​​​​Completely coat it with spray undercoating from a rattle can.
            lol etech

It does seem bolting is probably the best option for this boat.
            although, while it may not sleep in the bed with me, putting the motor on a portable stand and haul it in the room, may be the best option for peace of mind and a good nights sleep

it is just fn crazy I even have to think like this in the first place.

I’ll look into all the options presented. Might be a scenario or two that’ll work depending on where we go

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Ol Mucky; 01-23-2023, 04:40 PM.

Comment

IDK about smaller outboards of today but on my old 2S the twist handles that acted like a vise had holes towards the tips, you could also run a bolt through them both and drill a hole in the bolt to slap a small padlock on. That stops them from unloosening the vise.

Slows them down a minute or two more.
              This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
              You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

lol etech

It does seem bolting is probably the best option for this boat.
                although, while it may not sleep in the bed with me, putting the motor on a portable stand and haul it in the room, may be the best option for peace of mind and a good nights sleep

it is just fn crazy I even have to think like this in the first place.

I’ll look into all the options presented. Might be a scenario or two that’ll work depending on where we go

Hide an Apple Air Tag on it.
                Sanibel FL
                2015 Sea Ray 410 Sundancer "Someday"

Comment

What size engine we talking bout?

Comment

• blaster
                    blaster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He said 15 in the original post.

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
                  IDK about smaller outboards of today but on my old 2S the twist handles that acted like a vise had holes towards the tips, you could also run a bolt through them both and drill a hole in the bolt to slap a small padlock on. That stops them from unloosening the vise.

Slows them down a minute or two more.
                  You could just put a pad lock through the holes. (Like it was designed).
                  Just sayin.

Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1

[email protected]
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• LFBB
                    LFBB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LOL, when I was a kid I couldn't afford those fancy long padlocks, I had to use what was available in dads tool shed.

Buy a spare.
                  I have a saweet 15 Yamaha Two Stroke for sale-----.
                  Engine Sales and Service
                  Ph +1 954.463.1515
                  Fx +1

[email protected]
                  www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• Ol Mucky
                    Ol Mucky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Carry around a spare 15 kicker 😄

Sad to say, battery operated Sawzall and angle grinders make easy work out of cutting the transom around the motor and cutting the hardest of bolts, locks and chains. A couple of minutes....gone.
                  Remove it and secure it in the hotel, motel, Holiday Inn. Say what?

Comment

• Ol Mucky
                    Ol Mucky commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn thieves just suck
                Working...
                X