Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mason Dixon Line

No….not the country singers.

Some of you may recall me mentioning where I live in Delaware and commenting about having a Mason Dixon stone marker near my house. Well. I finally got around to stopping and taking some pictures to share. You should be able to enlarge the picture of the plaque. It’s pretty interesting.

Just thought I would share.
    95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
    Seaford, De
    Curtis

Cool piece of history right there.

Comment

I love history, this is pretty cool. I remember reading that if the line went straight across the nation part of NJ would be below the line.
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

• NO WAKE
        NO WAKE commented
        Editing a comment
        Correct. Basically the southern border of Pennsylvania is part of the east/west portion of the Mason Dixon line.

Interesting!

Comment

Very cool! I'm compelled to add a couple of random thoughts: 1) Were there no quarries / stone engravers here? 2) That stone should be under plexiglass to reduce the rate of weathering. 3) I wonder if the monuments have been surveyed with modern methods, and how close to true they are?

Comment

Originally posted by V_Thirteen View Post
          Very cool! I'm compelled to add a couple of random thoughts: 1) Were there no quarries / stone engravers here? 2) That stone should be under plexiglass to reduce the rate of weathering. 3) I wonder if the monuments have been surveyed with modern methods, and how close to true they are?
          Looks like it's left out so anyone can drop a plexie glass cover over it.
          This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
          You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Originally posted by V_Thirteen View Post
            This particular stone has been left out in the open exactly where it was placed so long ago. As far as the quarries….I’m sure there were some in Pennsylvania. Not sure why they shipped them in from England.

As far as accuracy….funny you should ask. This particular stone is actually only a quarter mile (maybe less) from the current Maryland/Delaware state line which is to the west of this stone.
            95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
            Seaford, De
            Curtis

Comment

Should never have posted this...now some woke ass flake will be see this, be offended, and want it removed.

Comment

• NO WAKE
                NO WAKE commented
                Editing a comment
                They may not want to try that around these parts. LOL

• bluewaterposer
                bluewaterposer commented
                Editing a comment
                Full concerness!

I’m about 2 miles from it on the Maryland side.

significant difference on my side vs the Delaware side. Farms, horses, tractors, chickens vs the mess that is called Middletown.

Comment

• NO WAKE
                NO WAKE commented
                Editing a comment
                Middletown has really exploded in resent years. I was just up there a month ago on business! WOW! Way less farm ground than I remember. Damn shame!

• Jughed
                Jughed commented
                Editing a comment
                Yep - exploded may even be an understatement.

Probably close to 500+ apartments built around the Amazon distribution center. My fear for the town - Amazon will automate all of those jobs, and those apartments will go section 8.

I got to spend some time with a local cop a few months back - he said the gangs and drugs have moved in with the crowds. Migrating south from Wilmington. I'm glad I have a big buffer zone of protected/preserved farm land between us and the mess. The Dupont people locked the land down and preserved it from development.
            Working...
            X