Ever meet a "boat guy"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever meet a "boat guy"?

So yesterday I allowed my mom to talk me into taking my brother in law out on the new boat. Which I will start with the premise I am not his biggest fan. Mostly because when you tell him something he doesn't listen or blows up.

So the whole ride to the launch I have to listen to this fool tell me how much he knows about boating and how much he loves it. The whole boat ride I have to listen to him to tell me where I supposed to fish and I don't know how to fish. "We never fished " . Well this fool who is probably 280 pounds keeps walking all around the boat while it was running. He never sat still so I was constantly have to adjust my trim tabs and I mean constantly. If you have ever run a boat you know how annoying that is and of course I have my sister and niece on the boat so I don't want this to turn into a huge thing.

The whole time I have to listen to him tell me I don't know how to run a boat and that does the boat have trim tabs cause it constantly leaning one way or the other and this and that.

Finally we get back to the dock and I'm like ok mister boat guy ill get the trailer and you load the boat on to the trailer. How hard could it be right? I back down takes me nothing flat. This fool finds the only piling at the damn boat launch gets close to it and then guns it right into the piling. Then can load the boat for sht. Then he proceeds to blame everyone else. Finally after 5 minutes of that sht I blow up. I tell him to shut the F up and get in the damn truck.

It took me two hours to buff out the gouges in my boat. Of course my dad had to stop by and give me the old I told you so . Where I had to look at the ground and say yep you were right over and over again.

Happy Labor Day!
    Ain't "family" great!
    I let that get to me for awhile. Now I just do my thing and deal with it. Or say, thank you for offering, I'm good.
    And move on. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.
    Next time, lean the boat to stb with the trim tabs.
    Ask him to sit on the port side to assist with the lean.
    Tell him trim tabs are "broken". And never "fix" them.
    Or. Far saftey reasons. Sit/stand there whilst running. Please.
    Or. Buy a SeaKeeper. :-))))
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

At least you now have an excuse to never take him out again; might have been time well spent!

Comment

I used to let everyone know that if the boat is on plane nobody moves around. During my normal safety speech i would let them know and if someone didn't listen I would slow the boat and repeat it.

I am a pretty chill person and usually a live and let live guy. But I am pretty hard core on the safety stuff, especially on my boat.

Comment

Jeezuz
          youre patience lasted longer than mine

Comment

• Lprizman
            Lprizman commented
            Editing a comment
            Same here.....f off would have been expressed 50 miles from the dock

I have friends that I cannot enjoy being on my boat , good friends . Not everyone gets it . But , the know it alls are the worse .

Comment

If someone stands, throttle back. My higher rpm runs usually last 30 minutes mostly (house to harbor) unless it’s a destination cruise.

Comment

BTDT... I can sympathize..
              As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
              2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
              2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
              Mobile, Al.
              Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

I can't .....he put himself into a sick bag situation

Comment

They way there trailer was backed in... I don't know how he couldn't bounce off that piling, lining things up.

Comment

First of all, if I don’t want someone on my boat, they ain’t getting on my boat no matter who tries to talk me into it. Secondly, knowing he’s a moron, why would you risk him wrecking your boat just to prove a point. Everyone knows everything about everything. I don’t need them to prove to me what they know at my expense. Go buy your own boat.

Comment

It wasn't about proving a point I wish that was the reason because I wouldn't have. The ramp I went to was my first time there which was a stupid mistake but it's right around the conner from my house. This is how me and my dad always load the boat I get off my dad loads it on the trailer. Had I been at any other ramp I would have walked it over and done what I needed to do. The 262 has been a huge challenge to load period but the way this ramp was set up and the way my boat is there was no safe way for me to get from the boat back to the truck and the ramp parallels a walking ramp with ledge. I felt this was gonna be the safest way. I know he owned a boat once before but apparently he never ran it or bounced off everything or I would have just let my sister do it.

it just amazed me how someone can sit there and tell you how much they know when they obviously don't know jack.

plain and simple in hinde sight yep shouldn't have taken then I should have just taken the crap my family gives me cause it would have been simpler. I also shouldn't have gone to a ramp I have never been to both of those are my mistakes.

Comment

• Sans Peur
                        Sans Peur commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Best thing to do from now on, "The boat is broken, I can't run it until I fix it."

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
                      I used to let everyone know that if the boat is on plane nobody moves around. During my normal safety speech i would let them know and if someone didn't listen I would slow the boat and repeat it.

I am a pretty chill person and usually a live and let live guy. But I am pretty hard core on the safety stuff, especially on my boat.
                      Paul, would you go over the safety brief you conduct for Passengers knowing how big and complex your boat is, serious question.
                      I do understand that you as the are responsible for everything!

Side track, I've trained new hires that apply know more about trucking than I, way more

Back on track, my neighbor with a new to him Island Runner 35 have me the helm in the ICW and I accepted, he trusts me well, I was mildly concerned due to never operating a hull larger than 25 feet!

Trust your judgment, you are ultimately responsible no matter what, you know this Adam, do what you have to do, lesson learned, more action, less talk, concerning your Passengers!

Be blessed!

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by KMac View Post
                        BTDT... I can sympathize..
                        Ditto!

Couple of them actually.

One actually is a boat guy and a pretty darn good skipper of his own bigger boat. But the most reckless, clueless menace in his little 16' duck boat.
                        OB jets don't maneuver worth crap around the pier or trailer on the best of days. Without fail, this guy would be dancing all around the boat or sitting on the gunwale at the worst times. Didn't matter how many times I would explain it to him. So one day I asked him to get us in to the pier while I gathered my stuff. Then proceeded to walk around the boat, sat on the gunwale, called my dog over, etc. He couldn't even get close. Of course it was my POS boat's fault. But at least he sits his ass down in the console seat now.

Other one has never had a boat other than some old trihull with a shot motor that a guy that owed him money gave him. The boat sat behind his barn for years, never saw water. But then this dude is a know-it-all about EVERYTHING. Also would show up for a day of fishing, bringing nothing. Expected me to provide his food and drink as well. Couple times he showed up (late as always, no less) with surprise other people in tow. What are you supposed to say when they are standing there in your driveway. Not sure why I've put up with his ass for about 35 years, but friends are friends I guess. He hasn't been invited on my boat for about 3 years tho, despite him bringing it up regularly.

Any more, the very few times I ever do manage to get on the water it's either alone, family, or one buddy who is the best boat bitch ever. He's one of the most sour on life people I have ever met but he's always on time, brings all the food and drink, knows exactly my routine for launch and loading and what things to pitch in & help and when to just sit there.
                        Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Originally posted by duckfish View Post

Ditto!

Couple of them actually.

One actually is a boat guy and a pretty darn good skipper of his own bigger boat. But the most reckless, clueless menace in his little 16' duck boat.
                          OB jets don't maneuver worth crap around the pier or trailer on the best of days. Without fail, this guy would be dancing all around the boat or sitting on the gunwale at the worst times. Didn't matter how many times I would explain it to him. So one day I asked him to get us in to the pier while I gathered my stuff. Then proceeded to walk around the boat, sat on the gunwale, called my dog over, etc. He couldn't even get close. Of course it was my POS boat's fault. But at least he sits his ass down in the console seat now.

Other one has never had a boat other than some old trihull with a shot motor that a guy that owed him money gave him. The boat sat behind his barn for years, never saw water. But then this dude is a know-it-all about EVERYTHING. Also would show up for a day of fishing, bringing nothing. Expected me to provide his food and drink as well. Couple times he showed up (late as always, no less) with surprise other people in tow. What are you supposed to say when they are standing there in your driveway. Not sure why I've put up with his ass for about 35 years, but friends are friends I guess. He hasn't been invited on my boat for about 3 years tho, despite him bringing it up regularly.

Any more, the very few times I ever do manage to get on the water it's either alone, family, or one buddy who is the best boat bitch ever. He's one of the most sour on life people I have ever met but he's always on time, brings all the food and drink, knows exactly my routine for launch and loading and what things to pitch in & help and when to just sit there.
                          I always love it when someone who hasn't "done what you're doing" in 30 years, knows more about "it" than you'll ever know. When you politely resist, due to CURRENT technology or education/experience, it's YOU who is the butthole. Lol.

Happens in every aspect of life. Most times, I let it go as long as it doesn't create a situation where someone can be seriously injured, physically or financially. Mainly me.

Lol
                          As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                          2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                          2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                          Mobile, Al.
                          Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Working...
                          X