Any Canadians here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Canadians here?

I have a great friend who is currently in Vancouver to do an Alaska cruise, I was talking to him yesterday and he told me he went to a restaurant with his wife, and ordered a meal, a soft drink and a glass of wine. The price was on the menu (he was not worried about the price) but when he went to pay, they added tax, and even added a soda tax! is that normal or did he get taken for a ride? Here we have taxes, but, it's against the law to advertise a price that is not inclusive off all taxes. He was not concerned about the price, just the method used in the restaurant.

Same thing in 'Murica.
    No price includes tax, on most anything, everywhere.
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• noelm
      noelm commented
      Editing a comment
      Very strange (to me) can't imagine seeing a price of $X then paying $Y at the checkout. We have a GST (Goods and Services Tax) but, it must be included in any advertised price, there is no "surprise" when you pay. Our GST is only on the last sale or service, so if a (say) parts manufacturer sells to a wholesale agent, there is no GST, that wholesale agent then sells to a retailer, no GST, but the end retail sale, must include 10% GST.

In New York they have luxury taxes , on cigarettes and liquor . A bottle of rum that costs $15 here in Fl is $30 in New York . Also cigarettes are twice as much . I think it's the same way in parts of Canada . Plus , you can't get Supersized soft drinks anymore , too much sugar .

Comment

As I said, he was not worried about the end price, it was just odd to him, especially the "soda" tax, what the hell is that?

Comment

Originally posted by Parker Yacht View Post
        Same thing in 'Murica.
        No price includes tax, on most anything, everywhere.
        I had a business for awhile and charged flat prices, another words prices out the door. My accountant made me list my prices as (All taxes included) or I'd wind up getting bound up.
        This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
        You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Strange how we do the same things, but are kind of complete opposites, you add the tax on later, we include it, with wood, we call it timber, you call it lumber, you say 2X6, we say 6X2 you drive on the right side of the road, we drive on the left, right or wrong, same, but different, weird hey?

Comment

• jmike
            jmike commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, you guys are upside down anyway so might as well do it backwards too...or is it us in the states?

• Coastboater
            Coastboater commented
            Editing a comment
            I heard the toilet flushes the opposite way. Weird, huh?

Originally posted by noelm View Post
          As I said, he was not worried about the end price, it was just odd to him, especially the "soda" tax, what the hell is that?
          A "soda tax" is just the government's way of making us healthier. They tax drinks with suger in them to guard our health, no monetary gain involved....

Comment

Sales tax is complicated. We show all prices without tax. Everyone just understands the tax is extra.

In FL we have a 6% sales tax and each county has an additional tax added on top. .5% to 1.75% depending on which county you are in. TOTAL PITA. It is based upon where the work is done at. If a customer comes to one of my locations the sales tax is based on my location. If we go to their location and deliver or work on it we have to know what county my work is being done in and charge that. Plus to make it harder the county tax is only on the first $5,000. If the bill is $10k we charge 6% on all of it and the county tax only on the first $5k. Accounting nightmare.

I do business all over the Eastern US. If I sell out of state there is no tax and the customer is supposed to claim/pay it in their own state. I am sure they just rush right out and do that, NOT! To make it more complex, if I sell something in another state and my manufacturer is in the same state as the sale. My manufacturer is supposed to collect the tax from me, which short pays the sales tax because they don't get the tax on my mark up. So now I have to have a resale tax certificate in all those states.

Have I mentioned how much I hate taxes?

Comment

• noelm
              noelm commented
              Editing a comment
              I guess in a different way, we do pay an added tax on cars and boats and stuff, when you transfer the registration there is a fee, though it's not a "tax" as such, but then, just changing the name of the charge doesn't change the fact that it's an added charge, or tax, but even if you don't sell the car, you give it to (say) a family member, when they transfer the registration, they pay a fee/tax.

• Sans Peur
              Sans Peur commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh we have the "Fee's " as well. They are getting pretty nasty about it. I just sold one of my older Ford Transit 250 vans to a buddy of mine. He owns an electrical contracting business. It had 325,000 miles on it so I sold it to him for $6k. The orange county tax collector told him it was to low and tried to make him pay taxes on $9k. I had to sign an affidavit stating $6k was the price.

• noelm
              noelm commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, "fees" can be interesting, our biggest killer is "stamp duty" on real estate, because houses can be so expensive, even a small percentage makes a huge difference to a young family struggling to get into housing, most have to borrow extra to cover stamp duty. No idea how it costs more to transfer ownership of a 500k house than it does to transfer a 2m house, all the paper work and so on is exactly the same process. Now and then we have a stamp duty exempt period for first home buyers to help them out.

Car dealers are even worse, the advertised price is not even close to what the out-the-door price is!

Comment

Now I am reminded why I keep my vehicles so long!
              Taxing is a scam, how many times does a dollar change hands and is charged every transaction???

Yeah! I'm cheap!!!

BWP

Comment

Our tax system in the states is so messed up and antiquated you don't know whether your coming or going. The goverment is even so confused they had to 87000 agents to try and figure out their own tax codes. With modern electronics you would think we would be able to simplify taxes and make it easier on individuals but now you would be wrong .

Comment

Canada has extreme "sin" taxes. Alcohol, tobacco, etc., etc. It's how they fund their universal healthcare system.

Last time I went to Canada waterfowl hunting the guide requested in lieu of tip we each bring him the maximum amount of tobacco customs would allow us to import. As I recall that was 10 tins of Skoal and for him to buy it there was over $10/tin. A case of beer or bottle of bourbon there was so expensive it made you realize you didn't really want or need alcohol that bad. Some of the guys with me spent a small fortune on booze.
                  Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post
                    Now I am reminded why I keep my vehicles so long!
                    Taxing is a scam, how many times does a dollar change hands and is charged every transaction???

Yeah! I'm cheap!!!

BWP
                    Yep. Dollars changing hands is cumulative according to the govt. They print one dollar. Some one spends it for a ticket at a stadium that some one wants tax breaks for, but the 1 dollar ticket is worth 10 in revenue. So the stadium that gets 100 million in tax breaks sells 1 million in tickets but generates 1 billion in revenue!

Oh, and the govt. gives them 200 million to build the stadium…..

and the people that benefit from all of these, cannot stand up and salute the flag.

Comment

Working...
                    X