X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truth about Dealers.

Insert "dealer" Here.
    Straight talk right here.

"I work at a dealership. Everyone hates us until their car has a problem that “their guy” can’t fix. And then they get mad when they bring their car in and “their guy” f’d it all up with incorrect repairs. So we tell them to pound sand and we’re not touching their car and they get all mad “this is why everyone hates dealers blah blah” and they write a bad Yelp review.

cry me a river. I have wonderful customers who faithfully come in for every service. We throw them discounts, give them warranty repairs now and then even after the warranty has expired (yep, we can do that if we don’t abuse it) and we fix their issues.

But If you’re the come in “just for the free warranty stuff” guy, we have zero incentive to give you food service or any help whatsoever. Don’t be that guy."
    Engine Sales and Service
    Ph +1 954.463.1515
    Fx +1
    Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
    www.parkeryacht.com

Absolute straight talk..
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Yeah , maybe on the service side . But I personally think the dealers are the reason people get put off car brands . Unscrupulous slimeball salespeople who take advantage of first time buyer or people who have no clue . Sell them a car for way over MSRP ,to reflect the difference they gave them for their trade in , then sell them a service/warranty plan that's actually worthless , and then gap insurance on top of that . People walk out of the dealers $5K to $10K upside down , and when they realize how stupid they were , it's Chevy's fault , or Fords . I've seen it many times

Comment

Yep! I live that scenario every day! I have customers that travel a great distance for us to work on their equipment! We do our best to keep them happy and coming back.

I have always said….a good customer is one that not only buys equipment but also buys parts and utilizes the shop for repairs! These folks are the ones we bend over backwards to help.
        95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
        Seaford, De
        Curtis

Comment

I dunno - when being sold the product, warranty & service is a big point made by the sales folks. Possibly the service department needs to talk to the sales department and have them stop overselling the level of warranty service... temper the expectations of the customer at the point of sale?

Maybe let them know up front - we will do your warranty work on the $70k truck you just bought - but we will really treat you nice if you do all of your service here, other than that - don't expect much from us.

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty45 View Post
            Yeah , maybe on the service side . But I personally think the dealers are the reason people get put off car brands . Unscrupulous slimeball salespeople who take advantage of first time buyer or people who have no clue . Sell them a car for way over MSRP ,to reflect the difference they gave them for their trade in , then sell them a service/warranty plan that's actually worthless , and then gap insurance on top of that . People walk out of the dealers $5K to $10K upside down , and when they realize how stupid they were , it's Chevy's fault , or Fords . I've seen it many times
            Yes, but all that points to an uninformed buyer.. A dealer is in the business of making money. I am in "business" to save myself money. I do not blame anyone for trying to make money. It's up to me to know what I am willing to pay. What my trade is worth. Whether or not I want that warranty. I have been buying from the same "family" for years. 3rd generation of buying from them. I know the principle owner.. Didn't stop the dealership from trying to make money off of me. Even tried to confuse me with the numbers game. I ran a spreadsheet before I went and put it on his desk. He tried everyway he could to say that I missed something. I hadn't.

In the end, he said, "Oh, I see what happened.. The program has been changed and the girls in the back didn't get this number right".. So, he "found" the $500 and said we were done. Last words I said were, "Oh, don't forget my $1500 supplier discount".. He thought I had forgotten. That is a GM thing.. Not a dealer thing. He said I couldn't do both, I handed him the form that said "CAN BE COMBINED/USED WITH OTHER OFFERS". He was going to use it, just not tell me.. LOL.. In the end, he gave up. He doesn't do that to me anymore. My numbers are always handled by "the man". 4-5 lines.. No funny stuff. Of course they try to hide things.. That is what they do.

It is up to the individual to go in prepared.
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• Smitty45
              Smitty45 commented
              Editing a comment
              Kyle
              I think saying thats what they do is kinda wrong , and makes my point .
              First time buyers are usually impulse buyers and are not prepared , they just get all caught up in having the assets to buy a car , and get taken advantage of . Then , they blame everyone but themselves , refusing to admit they made a mistake , and then they say -"I"ll never buy a Chevy again"
              I have a saying , I don't care if your selling Donuts or Diamonds , repeat business is your future .
              Rather than being snakes and taking the buyer beware attitude , I think it should be a good experience.
              Instead of selling you one car , they should plan on selling a dozen or so ?

• KMac
              KMac commented
              Editing a comment
              No disagreement here. I have been infuriated with dealerships gouging the customers with "market adjustments".. Customers have memories. I refused to buy from anyone doing it. But, again, I still think it is up to the consumer to be prepared and know what they are doing when they walk in to any type of large purchase.

Originally posted by Jughed View Post
            I dunno - when being sold the product, warranty & service is a big point made by the sales folks. Possibly the service department needs to talk to the sales department and have them stop overselling the level of warranty service... temper the expectations of the customer at the point of sale?

Maybe let them know up front - we will do your warranty work on the $70k truck you just bought - but we will really treat you nice if you do all of your service here, other than that - don't expect much from us.
            This is how the "finance guys" make money. Add ons. I have no issues with people making money. As long as we can agree on a price, I'm good with it. And, I always let my dealer service my stuff. Always have. It makes thing SO much easier when problems arise. Never questions about coverage or who caused the problem.
            Mobile, Al.
            Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughed View Post

The OEM's demand this to be a "Gold, Key, Platinum" dealer.
              That just doesn't work, read threads on TOS, that is the American consumer talking.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

We’ve been using the same dealership for many years. GMC, Buick, Cadillac. The GM is a firefighter/friend’s uncle. Very ethical guy and his sales force and service Dept reflect it. We take the car there for all service and repairs. They give you a loaner until yours is done. We’ve never bought a new car there, only lease returns. My son bought a used Buick earlier this year. He asked for the lowest priced cars they had. They brought a printout from the lowest to the highest. We went to see the top 3. The one he picked had 4000 miles and they further discounted the vehicle.
                Too bad I like Ford trucks. Lol

Comment

It's no secret that car dealerships would go broke if they just sold new cars. Some dealers go as far as printing fake maintenance requirements and gluing them in the owners manual. However, if you drive an upscale or exotic vehicle, the dealer is the only place that has the software to properly diagnose a complicated vehicle. Drive a BMW? You're screwed.

Frankly, I distrust every dealer service facility. I also distrust chain tire stores.

Comment

I bought my boat from a dealer not quite close to me.
                    The salesman was cordial, legit and I truly liked him.
                    I dragged that boat to “his” shop for everything (warranty or not). It was worth it to me. Then he sold his share (health reasons) his partner (guy who bought his 1/2) who was now 100% owner was a doosh and I quit going.

new cars/vehicles…I’ll be honest, warranty work I will take it. Regular service, usually not. I have, but usually not.
                    I kind of prefer the smaller, local, mom and pop type places where I can forge a relationship.

Comment

And then you have dealers that sell a little 80 year old lady a dodge neon sports edition with double over head cams and all the bells and whistles of the day.

Sure she was dumb enough to walk in it a box of cash but some sense ability is called for. She had been a 30 year customer and always got service done at the dealership.
                      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
                      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

I'm not gonna lie I buy a lot of crap. The only dealership I'd rip a new one to is camping world. They are very sleazy.

That said I may hate a brand but never really a dealer. I hate evinrude but i dont hate the dealers persay.

Comment

Originally posted by Ol Mucky View Post
                          I bought my boat from a dealer not quite close to me.
                          The salesman was cordial, legit and I truly liked him.
                          I dragged that boat to “his” shop for everything (warranty or not). It was worth it to me. Then he sold his share (health reasons) his partner (guy who bought his 1/2) who was now 100% owner was a doosh and I quit going.

new cars/vehicles…I’ll be honest, warranty work I will take it. Regular service, usually not. I have, but usually not.
                          I kind of prefer the smaller, local, mom and pop type places where I can forge a relationship.
                          Dealing with a proprietor is always better than dealing with a faceless organization. Worst was a big BMW dealer. He got his comeuppance; He got screwed by (the guy from Boca Raton)

Comment

I have a great mechanic who has a small shop. He specializes in sports and exotic cars. BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, etc. His guys are very careful with trim pieces, panels and such. He is very honest, fair, charges percent of hours and his rate is cheap. He works on our M Coupe and I even get my tires from him.

Comment

Working...
                            X