Coming out party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The road from Batelle to the inlet was a 2 lane sand trail. Part way down was a brick foundation from a hotel which was demolished in the 1930's? The north side of the inlet was a wide flat tidal plane. You knew when the tide was coming in because the wreckers would show up. Every successive wave was several inches farther in, tourists would park too close to the water. Once they were stuck the wreckers would say thay would pull 'em out for $20? or so. Hell no! Next wave came in the price went to $30. Lucrative business!

We owned some property down there somewhere. Went to the last beach race! AIA is moved, The bar at the north turn is still there. South turn is the access to the beach.

That gorgeous Daytona beach sand. Fine and consistent. That's why the beach is flat!

Comment

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post

Interesting take!

Castro released the prisoner's from Marileto, spelling, they were a very small percentage!

Scoop I have from a family that came over- This guy I used to work with family came over when granted some special permission.

His Uncle and some family were invited on a small boat, by the time family arrives to the boat 7 sudden became 27, he was in his Mom's belly and upon arrival in Hialeah, he was born the next day!

Anyhow, this was in 1980!

True story, I was fascinated in the telling of it!
      So, not all of the Marieletos we're bad people!

Yes, I know a multiple of Cuban Rednecks, they exist, trust me!

BWP
      I rail about south Florida now because it was truly paradise decades ago. Lauderdale was just a small laid back town. (1960's). Mai-Kai was on the edge of town. No crime. Not exactly "Porkys" but not far from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billinfla View Post
        The road from Batelle to the inlet was a 2 lane sand trail. Part way down was a brick foundation from a hotel which was demolished in the 1930's? The north side of the inlet was a wide flat tidal plane. You knew when the tide was coming in because the wreckers would show up. Every successive wave was several inches farther in, tourists would park too close to the water. Once they were stuck the wreckers would say thay would pull 'em out for $20? or so. Hell no! Next wave came in the price went to $30. Lucrative business!

We owned some property down there somewhere. Went to the last beach race! AIA is moved, The bar at the north turn is still there. South turn is the access to the beach.

That gorgeous Daytona beach sand. Fine and consistent. That's why the beach is flat!
        I have photos of the road being built and the ICW being widened and the fill being placed on the homeowner's land behind fresh seawalls. It destroyed oysters and spartina along the way. Yay progress.
        Barefoot Boats
        [email protected]
        (386)256-6977

Comment

You guys have all had fascinating lives with neat careers!!

My name is Chris, I’m 39 and I was born and Boston and grew up in Nashua NH. Upon graduating high school (2000) my family moved to Port St. Lucie, Fl. In 2002, I met my now wife. In 06, graduated college and needed a job, so I got a job at a law firm. I have switched firms a few times but still in the field. It’s not my passion but it’s a job. My hunt to find my passion is on and I’d love to find a career I love.

I have always been interested in boats. I don’t know why I was, but I remember getting my first boating magazine (Southern Boating) when I was 10 years old. Each month is eagerly wait for my boating magazine to come in. No one in my family had a boat. I didn’t get to grow up on boats or around them. My wife and I bought a waverunner in 2013 and got rid of it in 2015 (it got old) and bought my mako last summer.

My interests are boats, woodworking and reading. I mostly read US history, specifically colonial era and modern US military (Vietnam era to present). Woodworking is another passion of mine and I’m eager for the cooler weather to come so I can get back in my garage.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be a historian, or a marine carpenter or a woodworker focusing on colonial era furniture but then of course I change my mind. I’m not quite sure. Next summer I may look at taking a week long instructional class at a woodworking school in Maine. I have a lot to learn and like any skill it takes time, dedication and repetition.

I’ve been married 12 years and have no kids. We do have two dogs, a beagle/shepherd and a golden retriever. Can’t wait to take the golden on our boat in the spring. The other guy doesn’t like water.

That is my story.

*edit* Here is Jackson. He’s 8 and we rescued him from Big Dog Ranch in 2014. He’s a good boy.

Attached Files
          Last edited by Bstnsportsfan; 08-04-2022, 10:00 AM.

Comment

• duckfish
            duckfish commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL.... I thought the same thing about the pup. That's an interesting mix.

• Bstnsportsfan
            Bstnsportsfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks guys. Funny you say that Joey, I have a few friends who refuse to use the cutting board! They say same thing as you say, it’s too nice to use.

I don’t know the last name amour, but I’ve been gone for 20 years. It’s a really nice town.

• duckfish
            duckfish commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a cool lookin pup!

Here ya go—I’m Joey (lots of people call me JoJo) and will be 62 exactly one week after my pal Ole turns 62 on 8/12/22.

I attended The University of Alabama two different times but just couldn’t afford to work part-time and go to school so returned to Baldwin County, AL, got a well paying job as a laborer in a cement plant and went to school at night. Ended up with an Associates Degree from a juco and a 3rd year towards my bachelors but that was it, so no, I don’t have a 4-year degree.

Cement plant closed down, found a job working on and ferrying boats, which led to my El’ Capt’ license so delivered yachts from S FL to Michigan and everywhere in between. Met Valla and knew that lifestyle wasn’t conducive to a healthy marriage so took a job as a tire store manager.

It was a small tire and automotive repair business at that time but the owners saw promise in me and dangled a pretty good carrot. Worked my tail off 6 & 7 days a week for a long time, moved around (part of the process) then got the call to start climbing ladder. Threw almost every penny we saved into whatever company related aspects I could. Promoted to executive position at 34 and was youngest in corp office. Was instrumental in growing the company from 39 stores to 105 stores and kinda became frontman with all our vendors since I was responsible for all the stores, sales, marketing and personnel, plus everyone liked Valla, so lucked into some fantastic free travel—and I mean places and events you’d never dream of.

We cashed out to a venture capital group out of Boca at the height in ‘07. They raped us, bk’d us and sold company to PepBoys in 2010. Myself and our real estate guy were only two corporate employees PepBoys kept. In January 2011 I’d had all of Pep I could handle (although made sure I stayed long enough to get all my guys who had been loyal acclimated best I could which included taking many-many bullets for them) and flew to Philly one last time to tell them what a bunch of lying, pos, etc people they were and hit the door at 51 years of age. Gibbs Rule 91, “when you walk away, don’t look back”, and I didn’t.

Since then I’ve invested a little with Prop and other places but mainly during that time took care of my wife’s Mom, her place and then my parents. It’s very gratifying to me to assist others and I still do to this day. God blessed me with time to do such things.

Yes, I’ve had many stress related ailments along the road including a brain hemorrhage at 42, but God spared me so far and it’s nice to try and assist others in a variety of ways.

Been married to Valla since ‘88, we have two girls and my youngest daughter has two boys who are ages 1 & 3 so we are having a blast being Honey & JoJo to the grandkids.
          2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
          Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
            Bstnsportsfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Really neat story and one the “American dream”. Working your ass off and moving up the ladder. What was your final position at the tire shop?

• Tiretyme
            Tiretyme commented
            Editing a comment
            Chris, my official title was Director of Sales & Marketing but we weren’t big on titles, just success.

There were 3 of us who had our hand in day to day operations of the company; our company president, ops guy and myself. The pres & I both came up through stores, ops guy started as an accountant and never worked in a store but a good guy and adapted really well.
            We all watched each other’s back and occasional crossover direction was common but not problematic since we all had same goals. I was there 25 yrs, pres probably 35 yrs and ops guy 30ish.

• Bstnsportsfan
            Bstnsportsfan commented
            Editing a comment
            Too bad the company was bought out and everything went to shit. My wife worked for a few years at Tire Kingdom and they were usually buying up the small companies. She didn’t care for it and now works as a data analyst for a PEO (handles small business benefits and payroll). When her previous company was bought out by paychecks, the executives made huge $$$. I hope the same happened to you when Pepboys purchased you.

Originally posted by bluewaterposer View Post

Interesting take!

Castro released the prisoner's from Marileto, spelling, they were a very small percentage!

Scoop I have from a family that came over- This guy I used to work with family came over when granted some special permission.

His Uncle and some family were invited on a small boat, by the time family arrives to the boat 7 sudden became 27, he was in his Mom's belly and upon arrival in Hialeah, he was born the next day!

Anyhow, this was in 1980!

True story, I was fascinated in the telling of it!
          So, not all of the Marieletos we're bad people!

Yes, I know a multiple of Cuban Rednecks, they exist, trust me!

BWP
          My wife is cuban, or 1/2 cuban... her mother came over after Castro stole their family farm and ocean front property... Grandpop was a chemist/jack of all trades and became a tool and dye maker when he moved over here. Worked till the day he died to provide for his family.

Cousin Mario (RIP) came over as well - he was a heavy weight boxer on the Cuban Olympic squad... used his talents over here for not so good things. Got into the NJ mob as muscle/collections and ended up in a Tony Soprano style house in a ritzy part of North Jersey. I loved going to his house... he would walk around in a full grey sweat suit outfit with the tough guy beanie cap, fingerless gloves - loved to show me his car collection and his safe full of cash. "Any MF'er that tries to get my stuff will find out the hard way"... meanwhile his caterers were upstairs preparing steak and lobsters for all of us... not a guy you would want on your bad side.

Comment

Wow; great reading about all of you and your experiences!

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
              Bstnsportsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Good idea to start the thread!

Great stuff!

Enjoyable reading and impressive set of resumes on this site, especially in the marine industry. Not that I hadn't already surmised that just based on the quality of answers and information provided when anyone needs help or has questions.

Being late to the party, I'm not even gonna try and follow all those impressive resumes, so.....

Hi, I'm Bob and I'm a lowly dirt digger.

Farm kid - turned engineer - turned back to digging in the dirt, with some other life experiences thrown in along the way. Never been an expert on anything, but I guess I'm kinda handy. I designed and built my own house and everything around it with my own 2 hands (with help from family & friends when needed). It's been a very blessed life. I've had some cool adventures, and I have few regrets. Been with the same woman for over 40 years. The Lord has blessed me with good family and friends. Most of all daughters who are bold and adventurous and far better human beings than I've ever been. They are really my heart and soul.

Bob

S Central PA

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
              Bstnsportsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              What kind of engineer were you?

• duckfish
              duckfish commented
              Editing a comment
              Civil/environmental. I mostly did water and wastewater treatment & conveyance stuff.

I still maintain my license even tho I haven’t really used it in 30 years.

Well. Curtis Bell here. I’m born and raised in LSD. That’s Lower Slower Delaware for the uninformed. 😃. Was blessed to be born on the Eastern Shore where an outdoor lifestyle is readily available. Plenty of hunting and fishing opportunities!

No degrees here. Just school of hard knocks and a willingness to work hard for what I want. Started my employment career at the age of 8 working for local farmers. Learned to run all sorts of equipment by the time I was 10. After high school and one year of college (played basketball for Salisbury State University), I got employed by the DuPont Nylon plant in my hometown of Seaford. It was the world’s first nylon plant. I was trained on every group 2 job in the plant. Stayed five years but could not see myself being a production line worker for the rest of my life.

Quit DuPont and became a Snap On Tool dealer (self employed) at the age of 24. Two years later got promoted to a Regional Field Manager position with them. I was the youngest person to ever hold that position (so I was told). Five years later after running myself ragged in the management position I went back on the road as a Dealer.

Got married, had my son and decided that 80-90 hour work weeks just weren’t the recipe for raising a good son…..I sold my business. Bounced around for a couple of years. Ended up selling class 8 trucks and trailers for a dealership. Left that dealership and came to where I am now . Another class 8 dealership (trailers only). I am the Service Manager here and have been for 18 years (today).

Almost forgot. I enjoy working with my hands. I learned most everything I know from my Dad. I swear…...that man could fix anything!

I enjoy my job and where I live! I have met some really good people on this forum and others that have turned into good friends! I’m glad I found this site and look forward to coming on here every day! 😃

95 Stamas 32' CC twin 250 Mercs
            Seaford, De
            Curtis

Comment

• Tiretyme
              Tiretyme commented
              Editing a comment
              Cool Curtis! Lots of guys on here like us who have mechanical backgrounds.

Sometimes I’d be at snooty events with the wife and always got asked what I did for a living. Would tell them I was a mechanic and that would complete conversation quickly!!

• NO WAKE
              NO WAKE commented
              Editing a comment
              Unfortunately all too true Joey. Oh well. Their loss. 😃

• NO WAKE
              NO WAKE commented
              Editing a comment
              Almost forgot….I’ll be 58 the end of October this year. 😃

Originally posted by Bstnsportsfan View Post
            You guys have all had fascinating lives with neat careers!!

My name is Chris, I’m 39 and I was born and Boston and grew up in Nashua NH. Upon graduating high school (2000) my family moved to Port St. Lucie, Fl. In 2002, I met my now wife. In 06, graduated college and needed a job, so I got a job at a law firm. I have switched firms a few times but still in the field. It’s not my passion but it’s a job. My hunt to find my passion is on and I’d love to find a career I love.

I have always been interested in boats. I don’t know why I was, but I remember getting my first boating magazine (Southern Boating) when I was 10 years old. Each month is eagerly wait for my boating magazine to come in. No one in my family had a boat. I didn’t get to grow up on boats or around them. My wife and I bought a waverunner in 2013 and got rid of it in 2015 (it got old) and bought my mako last summer.

My interests are boats, woodworking and reading. I mostly read US history, specifically colonial era and modern US military (Vietnam era to present). Woodworking is another passion of mine and I’m eager for the cooler weather to come so I can get back in my garage.

Sometimes I wonder if I should be a historian, or a marine carpenter or a woodworker focusing on colonial era furniture but then of course I change my mind. I’m not quite sure. Next summer I may look at taking a week long instructional class at a woodworking school in Maine. I have a lot to learn and like any skill it takes time, dedication and repetition.

I’ve been married 12 years and have no kids. We do have two dogs, a beagle/shepherd and a golden retriever. Can’t wait to take the golden on our boat in the spring. The other guy doesn’t like water.

That is my story.

*edit* Here is Jackson. He’s 8 and we rescued him from Big Dog Ranch in 2014. He’s a good boy.
            I've been a Florida history buff for decades. East coast Florida economic history is largely tied to Flagler and the railroad, PSL is associated with one of the biggest real estate scams in Florida/US history.

Comment

• finsleft258
              finsleft258 commented
              Editing a comment
              Add Cape Coral to the real estate scams.

• Bstnsportsfan
              Bstnsportsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              I tend to focus more on the colonial time period. I don’t love PSL but it enables us to buy a house in 2011. We certainly wont stay here for ever.

Agreed 100%.

Anything with :Port" was a GDC development.

They ALL basically sold lots from a plat without building the infrastructure. I've seen "lots" in the middle of a lake. Lots were sold "contract for deed", meaning the buyer didn't own the lot until it was paid for.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
              Bstnsportsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Is that why there are houses everywhere around here and zoning is a disaster? Or is that just the screwed up city government?

• Billinfla
              Billinfla commented
              Editing a comment
              GDC legacy. They built the roads and stuff with little planning for actual development. Some lots were unbuildable because of poor placement of septic and wells. Early GDC properties are easily identifiable..PSL blvd and US1 for example..

Mike Osborn here from Mairangi Bay, New Zealand
            I currently live in Cooper City, Florida and work as a full time Yacht , fishing guide, boat manager, happy husband and father to two girls( 8mo and 6yo)

Prior to Yachts I worked in the family forklift business starting at age 14 sweeping the workshop floor and eventually moving up to sales manager following the completion of my marketing degree.

After a lifetime of fishing and surfing in New Zealand I moved to Puerto Vallarta,Mexico and fished professionally for the Pelagic pro team down there and began my crazy lifestyle as a traveling sportfish mate, Jan 1st 2020 I completed my billfish slam having caught every species of billfish in the world which was a fun accomplishment. I ended up in Fort Lauderdale on a large Russian owned sportfish and after 2 weeks in billfish Marina I needed to escape and my captain suggested Waxys…… well my first night out in the states in 2009 I met my lovely wife who was just staring a career as a yacht chef. 13 years later,49 countries,3 Atlantic crossings together, 2 kids, 2 houses, a lazy cat and a very protective potcake and we are still doing our thing.
            She retired from cheffing and is now a nutritional coach helping with reversing type two diabetes with a very tasty lifestyle change and managing our crazy household

I had to start at the very bottom in yachting and with my background and a lifetime on boats I quickly progressed past a lot of junior crew and was running my first yacht in 2014.
            It was a really piece of shit Broward! My friend and mentor who gave me the job explained to me why he put me forward for the job and to view it as a huge learning curve…… a year later after I had proven myself I took the helm of a 125ft Heesen motor yacht and was there until my first daughter was born. That boss didn’t like the idea of me having a baby and we parted ways. My next opportunity was the boat I still run to this day, Marybelle is hull 1 of the viking cockpit motor yacht range and I was there for the entire build through to the splash and delivery down the coast.
            Most recently I started out my own company Osborn Offshore in addition to my captain jobs and I specialize in management of high end centre consoles and currently have a 53HCB, 53Scout, 2x39seavees and a 62 viking under my management and that’s going really well for me.

I found this site through Ole who has been looking after all of my Yamahas for the last 8 years. He’s the best in town and also the only one who answers my texts at 3am🤣
            Last edited by MikeO; 08-05-2022, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Bstnsportsfan
              Bstnsportsfan commented
              Editing a comment
              Neat story Capt Mike, thanks for sharing. Do you see yourself continuing to be a yacht captain as your kids get older or eventually transitioning to focusing more osbourne Offshore and staying home more?

• Tiretyme
              Tiretyme commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s great Mike and congrats on the new venture. But you get a giant HIGH FIVE on the billfish slam for sure!!! Amazing!
              You’ve forgot more about fishing than I’ll ever know😉

• MikeO
              MikeO commented
              Editing a comment
              Bstn, thats my plan. I’m sick of being away from the girls now. I still love it but being on call 24/7 is wearing thin even though I have a very very caring and generous boss.
              I’m enjoying my Centre Console guys( some of whom have been yacht charter clients since 2010) now a lot more and if my daughter has a dance recital then I can call on 5 equally qualified friends of mine to run the boat for me if needed so I can have family time. FaceTime for bed time gets old after a while!

TT, most of the fish were caught prior to 2011 but I ticked off a white and a long billed spearfish in the Bahamas on the same day(also had a sail and a blue that day) and even snuck in a Medditerranean spearfish that same year off the coast of Sardinia whilst trolling for Bluefin. The final piece of the puzzle came together when I caught a sword on Jan 1 2020. I didn’t personally wind in every fish but I was either the , angler or mate and that good enough for me!

Hi
            my name is Lance......I'm an underachieving guy trying my best...
            I think hit send after the first post when I saw the thread...
            Hence my explanation....but you mostly know me...need more...ask...I'm an open book

Comment

Now I'm reading some...interesting...gonna read them all...Great stuff!!!

Comment

More!

I served with the Marines from 1983-1987, after Boot at Parris Island went straight to Twenty Nine Palms California for ground radio repair.
                I'm a very good test taker and did well to qualify for this class, but, had- have a weak math background beyond basic.

I flunked out of this class rapidly, I was then sent up the hill to radio school for land communication, which was simple, a 4 week course vs a 45 week course.

Upon graduation from communication school, they sent me immediately to Okinawa Japan, a part of the Ryukyu Island, the famous Keystone of the Pacific.

Note! It's hotter in Okinawa than SoFlo!
                I served with Battery M, 3rd Battalion, 12th Marines and as a radio operator this was an Artillery Battalion.

From there I went to South Korea for 2 months, back to Okinawa, back to South Korea and return.
                Floated over, flew back, twice!
                More!

BWP

Comment

Working...
                X