Back to work tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to work tomorrow

My son took a vacation last week so I took off too. This week we'll be doing a color change in a doctor's house while they are out of town. My son is friends with the family and drinks are in the fridge. We didn't bid it and they and most of the people we work for know we consider 5 or 6 hours as a day. Gets a little physical but it's hard to give it up. Inflation hasn't really had an effect on us as we work close and have very little overhead. People expect things to cost more .

Oh my goodness...”drinks are in the fridge”. Painting under the influence. PUI. Whomever is cutting in better have a steady hand. Lol
    Which reminds me. This confirms my theory. All work involves moving something. In this case, moving paint from a can to the walls. We’re all really in the moving business, no mater what you do.
    Happy Juneteenth moving.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaCat22 View Post
      Oh my goodness...”drinks are in the fridge”. Painting under the influence. PUI. Whomever is cutting in better have a steady hand. Lol
      Which reminds me. This confirms my theory. All work involves moving something. In this case, moving paint from a can to the walls. We’re all really in the moving business, no mater what you do.
      Happy Juneteenth moving.
      Ha. Those kinds of drinks are there ,but we don't drink alcohol on the job. I rarely drink any alcohol. Yes, we are all in the moving business and about 5 or 6 hours a day is all I want.

Comment

Happy Juneteenth moving.
        Congratulations, you've invented physics. Again.

Galileo, Coriolis, Solomon of Caux, and John Smeaton beat you to it by a few hundred years, but at least you're in good company. 👍 😁

Comment

are you going to look for metal in their yard?

Comment

Originally posted by fijon View Post
            are you going to look for metal in their yard?
            No. This property isn't old enough to be of any interest.

Comment

Originally posted by V_Thirteen View Post

Congratulations, you've invented physics. Again.

Galileo, Coriolis, Solomon of Caux, and John Smeaton beat you to it by a few hundred years, but at least you're in good company. 👍 😁
              Man, I tell ya. Once, I read a book and found out how much I didn’t know. That’s when I stopped reading.
              I’m shattered. Lol

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                bluewaterposer commented
                Editing a comment
                You would! LOL

• SeaCat22
                SeaCat22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Why is it that those old filosofizers, musicians and heroes have only one name. Plato, Nietzsche, Aristotle, Cher, Madonna, Liberace, Sting and Zoro. They probably couldn’t afford a second name.

Why is it that those old filosofizers, musicians and heroes have only one name. Plato, Nietzsche, Aristotle, Cher, Madonna, Liberace, Sting and Zoro. They probably couldn’t afford a second name.
              You, sir, missed out on a classical education. That's what you get for skipping class to party. They all have last names. I'll help you out.

Plato 's last name was "The Greek". I mean, everybody knows, "Plato The Greek". He was related to Socrates the Greek, Plotinus the Greek, and Porphyry the Greek - it was a large family. Some genealogists say he was related to Jimmy the Greek, but I wouldn't bet on that being true.

Nietzsche's last name was Nietzsche. His first name was Friedrich; he was named after King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia. Nietzsche later forgot his middle name as his dementia progressed.

Aristotle was, of course, Aristotle the Greek, and was the most famous student of his relative, Plato the Greek. He was also claimed to be an early forerunner of Rin Tin Tin, but that is disputed by historians.

Cher's last name was Sarkisian, but changed to Bono when she married the guy from U2. She sometimes used the last name "LaPiere", which is French for "The Peter"; here name, then, was phonetically, "Share the Peter". Not sure why.

Madonna's last name is, of course, Ciccone, which is Italian for "That Which Will Not Die." So far, so good.

Władziu Valentino Liberace had three names, but I wouldn't have used the first two, either. Fun factoid: At the height of his fame from the 1950s to 1970s, he was the highest-paid entertainer in the world. Fun fact: Betty White (real last name: Ciccone) used to go around with Liberace so he could pretend to be attracted to women.

Sting had too many names (Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner), so he ditched them all. He got the nickname "Sting" because he used to wear a yellow and black hoop-striped getup on stage with an early band, before he was apprehended by the Police.

Zorro, as we all know, is a "nom de sword"; Don Diego de la Vega is his real identity. Diego lives with his father in a huge hacienda, which contains a number of secret passages and tunnels, leading to a secret cave that serves as headquarters for Zorro's operations. At some point, his father and mother are killed before his eyes by a mugger; as a result, Zorro (don't forget to roll the "r") goes a bit nuts, hires a butler named Alfredo, and converts his Zorro getup into a bat suit. Tornado dies and comes back as Robin, who gets a speaking part.

I hope this answers your question. Shoulda paid more attention in class. Information like this is priceless.

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by V_Thirteen View Post

You, sir, missed out on a classical education. That's what you get for skipping class to party. They all have last names. I'll help you out.

Plato 's last name was "The Greek". I mean, everybody knows, "Plato The Greek". He was related to Socrates the Greek, Plotinus the Greek, and Porphyry the Greek - it was a large family. Some genealogists say he was related to Jimmy the Greek, but I wouldn't bet on that being true.

Nietzsche's last name was Nietzsche. His first name was Friedrich; he was named after King Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia. Nietzsche later forgot his middle name as his dementia progressed.

Aristotle was, of course, Aristotle the Greek, and was the most famous student of his relative, Plato the Greek. He was also claimed to be an early forerunner of Rin Tin Tin, but that is disputed by historians.

Cher's last name was Sarkisian, but changed to Bono when she married the guy from U2. She sometimes used the last name "LaPiere", which is French for "The Peter"; here name, then, was phonetically, "Share the Peter". Not sure why.

Madonna's last name is, of course, Ciccone, which is Italian for "That Which Will Not Die." So far, so good.

Władziu Valentino Liberace had three names, but I wouldn't have used the first two, either. Fun factoid: At the height of his fame from the 1950s to 1970s, he was the highest-paid entertainer in the world. Fun fact: Betty White (real last name: Ciccone) used to go around with Liberace so he could pretend to be attracted to women.

Sting had too many names (Gordon Matthew Thomas Sumner), so he ditched them all. He got the nickname "Sting" because he used to wear a yellow and black hoop-striped getup on stage with an early band, before he was apprehended by the Police.

Zorro, as we all know, is a "nom de sword"; Don Diego de la Vega is his real identity. Diego lives with his father in a huge hacienda, which contains a number of secret passages and tunnels, leading to a secret cave that serves as headquarters for Zorro's operations. At some point, his father and mother are killed before his eyes by a mugger; as a result, Zorro (don't forget to roll the "r") goes a bit nuts, hires a butler named Alfredo, and converts his Zorro getup into a bat suit. Tornado dies and comes back as Robin, who gets a speaking part.

I hope this answers your question. Shoulda paid more attention in class. Information like this is priceless.

Google is a smart dude.
                  He also has one name.

Comment

• fijon
                    fijon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Google's last name is Alphabet

I like the V 13 name summary. Pretty much all you need to know....

Comment

Originally posted by Sailsalot View Post

Ha. Those kinds of drinks are there ,but we don't drink alcohol on the job. I rarely drink any alcohol. Yes, we are all in the moving business and about 5 or 6 hours a day is all I want.
                    You know I’m just joking with you...keeping things lite around here. It gets a bit serious and intense at times.
                    I painted many years ago, as a second job on my days off. A friend of mine was a professional painter, but he didn’t like to do roofs. That’s where I came in. I pressure cleaned and painted roofs. I would get cooked in the Florida sun working up there. I wasn’t afraid of heights and would double ladder up to the second and third stories. He had good customers and I would end up repairing a bunch of other stuff around the house. I rebuilt docks, gates, storm shutters, wrought iron work, rotten wood replacement, mounding, etc.
                    I did the work, but didn’t love it. I enjoyed working for a remodeling contractor doing kitchens and baths.
                    I always had a second or third job.
                    I never drank on the job either.
                    I also go back to work tomorrow. We start Confined Space Rescue. Just finished Rope Rescue. Then, Vehicle Extrication, Trench Rescue and Structural Collapse Rescue. Life after retirement. Lol.
                    Many blessings.

Comment

• bluewaterposer
                      bluewaterposer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      What???
                      You work after retirement, you Sir are messing up the ride, LOL

• SeaCat22
                      SeaCat22 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Lol. Yeah, I am messed up in the head....
                      Some folks will do anything to get out of the house. I don’t play Golf and have a freezer full of Fish.

• fijon
                      fijon commented
                      Editing a comment
                      The only time I drank on the job was at the direction of my boss, working on a Law enforcement training video, produced by a Federal LE training agency.

I painted many years ago, as a second job on my days off. A friend of mine was a professional painter, but he didn’t like to do roofs. That’s where I came in. I pressure cleaned and painted roofs. I would get cooked in the Florida sun working up there. I wasn’t afraid of heights and would double ladder up to the second and third stories. He had good customers and I would end up repairing a bunch of other stuff around the house. I rebuilt docks, gates, storm shutters, wrought iron work, rotten wood replacement, mounding, etc.
                    I did the work, but didn’t love it. I enjoyed working for a remodeling contractor doing kitchens and baths.
                    I always had a second or third job.
                    I never drank on the job either.
                    I also go back to work tomorrow. We start Confined Space Rescue. Just finished Rope Rescue. Then, Vehicle Extrication, Trench Rescue and Structural Collapse Rescue. Life after retirement. Lol.
                    Many blessings.
                    Yeah, I use to do that stuff years ago . There weren't lifts available then ,so lots of ladder work. We mainly paint the interior trim packages in new dwellings and do interior color changes in existing . We occasionally will do an outside but rarely anymore . Some light commercial. My wife and I worked together for 13 years and we did work off 40 foot ladders and a 24 foot aluminum walk board we carried up and set on ladder jacks.

Our son and I do set up scaffolds indoor up to 3 high to paint vaulted ceilings and walls but it's all in A/C or heat when it's cold outside . There really isn't much roof or outside painting needing to be done on homes anymore in this area .

Comment

• SeaCat22
                      SeaCat22 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Be safe up there, buddy. We don’t heal like we used to. Lol

Scaffolds are Bakers 2 x 6 foot and on level flooring but you have to respect them.

Comment

Working...
                    X