Parents and even players, I don't get it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents and even players, I don't get it...

Our oldest daughter plays soccer, she's quite good, plays striker and will routinely score 3 or more goals per game. (Yeah a little brag)

Yesterday her team (A team from the city) was playing a club, club teams are private teams where parents pay for the kids to be professionally trained and coached. Our daughters team is a public school team and is much more ragtag, parents volunteer their time to coach the girls Right from the get go you could see this opposing team had skills that far outweighed the ball handling skills of our best players. I and other parents were ready for a loss.

5 minutes into the game our team gets a breakaway, we have this one girl who is a runt, fast but small. The runt finds herself on a breakaway and is heading for the goal, just prior to her taking her shot a much bigger girl flattens her, it was a WTF moment, you know it's bad when the parents on her team gasp. No penalty, no red card, nothing. The runt gets up and shakes it off. The rest of the half they played rough, elbows tripping on purpose etc.

We go into half time down 1-0

Coach rallies his girls and says, "Enough playing nice, the ref isn't calling fouls and the other team isn't playing clean, take the gloves off, don't intentionally hurt anyone, but no more getting pushed around."

2nd half starts and it was a complete other game, the girls got aggressive, didn't give up on the ball and took the game to them. My daughter running in for a shot got met with the goalie, they collide and the goalie had to be walked off the field (she was back 5 minutes later). Two other girls get tangled up and bam, down goes both girls (Just a fall) one of the moms from opposition team runs out on the field and roughly shoves one girl off the other (guess who was shoved)? She's a lucky woman, no foul called, no red card, no warning from the ref"s. She's lucky another parent didn't sock her one. Within 15 minutes we score 3 goals.

As my daughter comes in towards the goal again her opponent starts mixing it up, my girl (happy daddy here) doesn't take her crap and runs right over her. Girl falls backwards and she hit the tuff hard. First thing out of their coaches mouth is "Hey ref, that was a dirty play, she elbowed her in the head." I know I could be partial but there was no such contact and I yelled right back at the coach for trying to incite and solicit a penalty. The ref told us both to be quiet and the game went on, no one was hurt as the girl was back in the game in short order.

Game over and we win 3-1, knock them out of 2nd place. Upon leaving, the parents from the opposing team are bitching about "the mugging they got", amazing how selective their memory was when it came to them running onto the field and abusing the smallest player on the field.

I just smiled and said, 3-1, no fouls called on either team, seemed like a good game.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Woo hoo, AWESOME for your daughter and a dayum proud Dad YOU must be! Yeah, yeah, yeah ... ya' done good sir! That story made me smile today ... and I sorely needed it! Congrats to the Team and back slaps to the little runt.

Now ... is there ANY league official or anyone your Team could complain to? Someone must have video ...
    Life is too short for an ugly boat!

Comment

Originally posted by DaleH View Post
      Woo hoo, AWESOME for your daughter and a dayum proud Dad YOU must be! Yeah, yeah, yeah ... ya' done good sir! That story made me smile today ... and I sorely needed it! Congrats to the Team and back slaps to the little runt.

Now ... is there ANY league official or anyone your Team could complain to? Someone must have video ...
      The league does have a superintendent, perhaps another parent will send the video over.
      This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
      You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

Comment

Parents living through their kids , I hate it ! Parents should not be allowed at the game , it's for kids , not parents . It's hard for a coach to be effective when a bunch of wannebe parents are telling the kids how to play .
        I witnessed it in racing motorcycles , people I grew up with couldn't make it out of their heat race , but yelled at their kids to go faster and try harder .
        My daughter played soccer in HS , but wasn't great at it . We went to show support , but we stayed silent .

It would be much better for the kids if it was kids only , no parents . Refs volunteering their time so kids can play getting yelled at by adults is just stupid , in my opinion .

Comment

Originally posted by Smitty45 View Post
          Parents living through their kids , I hate it ! Parents should not be allowed at the game , it's for kids , not parents . It's hard for a coach to be effective when a bunch of wannebe parents are telling the kids how to play .
          I witnessed it in racing motorcycles , people I grew up with couldn't make it out of their heat race , but yelled at their kids to go faster and try harder .
          My daughter played soccer in HS , but wasn't great at it . We went to show support , but we stayed silent .

It would be much better for the kids if it was kids only , no parents . Refs volunteering their time so kids can play getting yelled at by adults is just stupid , in my opinion .
          I grew up in the city, Philly, back in the late 80’s. high school Football, wrestling… never a parent there. No travel sports, no weekend sports - on the bus to the other high school, then right back. No summer practice, no special clinics or personal coaches. We rode the SEPTA bus to school, went to practice after school and rode SEPTA home - by ourselves.

My wife is from an affluent suburb - apparently it’s different out there. We went to every game with 100’s of other parents, parents at every practice… then travel swim team started…months of weekends on the road.

And yes, the parents could be asshats at the games, even during practice.

Im not ashamed to say it because I wasn’t raised with it, but for many of the kids, most of which are not really athletes, travel sports is way over the top. And talking and listening to the kids, then doing the same with the parents- it was more for the parents in many cases. A bunch of kids, including mine - didn’t want to be there.

Comment

I am not there, no kids. But I have seen my friends with their kids, and heard of things, and watched "Sailbote events". Talk about "over the top" and "Helikopter" parents.
            Kids are with their "rents" during the week. Last thing they want is mom and dad on their trips and such for weekends.
            Just IMO.
            Whether the parents think the kids want them there, or not.
            Engine Sales and Service
            Ph +1 954.463.1515
            Fx +1
            Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
            www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

Sounds like it was a good game, the way football (soccer) should be played and was back in the day. I coached a team for a couple of practices and one game when the kids were younger, I was very mindful to make sure the weaker players got some game time but still had parents telling me what to do. My wife told one of them " You do realize He's from England don't you?, He played the game for about 30 Years", didn't help and I didn't go back.

Comment

Congrats!
                A great read and I love a happy ending

Comment

Working...
                X