Would you pay extra for a real service station?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you pay extra for a real service station?

And how much extra would it be worth to you to have someone clean your windows be ready to check your oil, fill your tires with air etc?
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties either expressed, written or implied and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. The author is not responsible for your inability to understand logic, ambiguous references, sarcasm, the imaginary friends living inside my head or William Shatner's acting ability.

No , and none .

Comment

• LFBB
      LFBB commented
      Editing a comment
      How about if all the attendants were American and local to the area?

• Parker Yacht
      Parker Yacht commented
      Editing a comment
      I want what you are smoking.

Originally posted by LFBB View Post
    And how much extra would it be worth to you to have someone clean your windows be ready to check your oil, fill your tires with air etc?
    I had that job when I was a senior in high school and right after I graduated before leaving for auto tech school in Wyoming. The two gas stations I worked at had self serve and full service choices, with full serve being a little more expensive. Most of the full service appreciated having their windows cleaned and oil checked. Didn't check tires that I remember.
    Andrew Munao Jr
    Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
    888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

It's a different situation now . Back then cars burned through oil and needed to be checked . Now , I never check the oil between changes .
      Same with tires , my truck tells me if I have a tire low , why would I pay someone to check it ?

So I pay extra to have someone clean my windshield and smile at me ?

No thank you .

Comment

Back then it was more likely that the attendant would know what they are doing and be supervised. Now they would top off the blinker fluid with motor oil.
        2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

• Smitty45
          Smitty45 commented
          Editing a comment
          Back then the attendant would short stick it and show you it's a quart low , the oldest trick in the book , LOL

One of my high school buddies has an old station in Fairhope where they still do that.
        Also has a 3-bay shop and a self-serve island.
        Even has all the old style mechanical pumps with roller numbers for price and gallons
        2021 Blackwood, twin 300 Mercs
        Fairhope & Orange Beach, AL

Comment

I have a station around the corner from me that still does that. They also do auto repair and tire changes. Looks like something out of the 60's. They even close at 5:00 and reopen at 7:30am. Pretty cool.

When I was up in NJ a few years ago they had attendants at every station. I hated it. I even got out to pump my own once and got talked to about it. My gf/f/w who used to live up there was laughing at me.

Comment

• LFBB
            LFBB commented
            Editing a comment
            If winter, you sit in a toasty warm car, no need to get out, get dirty, just sit and say thank you. Our gas is pretty much the same price or cheaper then almost everywhere else despite recent gas tax increases.

Originally posted by SIM View Post

I had that job when I was a senior in high school and right after I graduated before leaving for auto tech school in Wyoming. The two gas stations I worked at had self serve and full service choices, with full serve being a little more expensive. Most of the full service appreciated having their windows cleaned and oil checked. Didn't check tires that I remember.
          In college I worked at Bucks Gulf. Mom, Dad and two sons. Full service gas, car wash was a big money maker, and repairs. I learned quite a bit there and it was nice to be working at a gas station during the late 70’s gas lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastboater View Post

In college I worked at Bucks Gulf. Mom, Dad and two sons. Full service gas, car wash was a big money maker, and repairs. I learned quite a bit there and it was nice to be working at a gas station during the late 70’s gas lines.
            I also pumped gas during the gas shortage.
            had a $2.00 limit!
            had to have 2 guy's pumping gas at the same time so you didn't get beat up.
            most cars got about 8 MPG.

Comment

We have 1 left in Camilla. All they sell is non-ethanol. Yesterday they were 4.64 regular, The cheapest self serve was 3.96 or 3.98.
              Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Comment

• Tiretyme
                Tiretyme commented
                Editing a comment
                My buddy has a non-ethanol pump also

Originally posted by Coastboater View Post

Shimming Oil was my first stint(full service gas jockey only), and then Wayne Busse Marathon. The Marathon station was a full repair center too. I moved up to oil changes and tire installs before I left for school. I loved working there. The techs were very nice and willingly taught me much. Wayne bought a car wash and parking lot for the train station in downtown Mt Prospect, IL on the other side of town. I bounced back and forth between the car wash detailing cars and the service station. And dried cars on the $2 Tuesday special they threw. All day long(if the weather was nice), constant line of cars on those days. Life was so much easier.....my parents moved to Washington Island after I graduated high school (purchased the marina we are currently at) so I lived with my Grandma, who spent much time out of town with her new hubby after my grandpa passed. Life was so simple back then. Made enough for beer money and the rest got pi$$ed away on my car. Lived in her house rent free. Ah...those were the days. lol
              Andrew Munao Jr
              Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
              888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Working...
              X