$5/lb for corned beef!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5/lb for corned beef!

Just sayin’. Things are getting scary. They used to practically give this stuff away. Saw NY strip was almost $15/lb. Gonna have to start eating squirrels soon!
    Last edited by TheRealMacGyver; 03-14-2022, 03:10 PM.

we spent over $400 on food last week - family of 5. Normal is $150+/-

Comment

• Ol Mucky
      Ol Mucky commented
      Editing a comment
      That sounds like the 7% the feds have talked about …..

We buy what is on sale and plan out meals accordingly. I bought a whole Top Round 2 weeks ago @ $2.98/lb. I cut it up and vacuum sealed the portions. The same with Chicken breast, thighs, leg quarters and Pork specials.
    How I plan meals: Pick the meat, pick a country, supplement with corresponding sides.
    Example: Chicken, Germany, Schnitzle, Warm German potatoes, braised cabbage, or glazed carrots, German Peach tart.
    Beef, Russia, stroganoff, egg noodles, green veggie...broccoli, brussel sprouts or asparagus, salad,
    Pork, Asia/China, Chinese ribs or loin, home made fried rice, white rice or home made dumplings, julienne onion, carrots, celery, cabbage,
    Chicken, Caribbean or India, curry, rice, veggie, plantains, salad.
    Meatless Monday, Italian, spinach & 3 cheese lasagna, salad, tomatoes, garlic bread.

Tonight.....Beef, American, London Broil, Potatoes...mashed, twice baked or hassle-back, Brussel Sprouts, Tomato salad, Apple Cobbler.

If you plan ahead, you can help buffer the high cost of food. It’s still expensive as heck, but you buy ingredients on sale and keep the pantry stocked.
    Y’all are welcome to dinner anytime...if you dare drive into a Miami suburb. Lol
    Bon appetit, buon appetito, buen provecho, let’s dig in.
    Last edited by SeaCat22; 03-14-2022, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Ol Mucky
      Ol Mucky commented
      Editing a comment
      I too only buy what’s on sale.
      Freeze until needed.

Only issue is many times I forget to unfreeze, then run to the store and buy normal priced meat.

• SeaCat22
      SeaCat22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea. Been there, done that. I hate last minute defrosting, especially chicken. You always end up with cooked blood that didn’t defrost out. Off to the store for fresh drumsticks.

• bluewaterposer
      bluewaterposer commented
      Editing a comment
      Where's the Cuban food I learned to eat the good stuff in Hialeah and Miami over the decades, some of the best food comes from the food trucks where they don't speak English and I speak paquito Espanol!!!

All I can say is corned beef & cabbage is one of my favorite meals so I'll gladly pay $5/lb for it.

Sounds like you were shopping for your St Patrick's day dinner. I know I'll be eating later this week.
    Bob

S Central PA

Comment

Corned Beef and cabbage, with a bit of white sauce is pretty hard to beat! some mashed potatoes and peas, job done.

Comment

I got a nice flat cut corned beef brisket from Costco yesterday for $4.49 lb. It was $7.99 at Wegmans. I hope nobody buys them and they go on sale after St. Patrick’s day.
        2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

Originally posted by Jughed View Post
          we spent over $400 on food last week - family of 5. Normal is $150+/-
          $150 a week for a family of 5? Must be budgeting pretty good!
          Andrew Munao Jr
          Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
          888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post

Aldi. No real budget, could just get a bunch of food for cheap. Not anymore

Comment

Food costs have skyrocketed. The utilities will be next. We are being screwed by the money printers.
              2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

No new taxes unless you make more than 400k, duh, biflation is a tax on all people, ignorant Demoncrats!

BWP

Comment

bluewaterposer commented
                  Today, 06:49 PM
                  Where's the Cuban food I learned to eat the good stuff in Hialeah and Miami over the decades, some of the best food comes from the food trucks where they don't speak English and I speak paquito Espanol!!!

Lol. I hear ya, brother. We have a saying, “ bueno, bonito, barato”. Translated, it means, “ good, pretty and cheap”.
                  I love Cuban/Spanish food and make all the traditional dishes. Grandma taught me how to cook. I still like to keep it interesting and vary the menu with international dishes.
                  Tomorrow...March 15....Chicken Caesar salad, for the Ides of March. Et tu, Brute?

Comment

Originally posted by SIM View Post

You ain't kidding.. We spent $400 a week (family of 6) for years.. My oldest is 30.. I can't imagine being able to feed my clan for $150 a week 15 years ago.
                    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
                    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
                    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
                    Mobile, Al.
                    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Just got the flyer for Fresco, a Winn Dixie partner. This is the beef I mostly buy. USDA Black Angus Top Round. Then, cut it up at home and get a bunch of meals. London Broil, flank steak, stew beef, thin cut steaks, lean ground beef. $2.98/lb. Gotta find the sales.
                      I also was in the mood for Apple pie and had some Apples and pie crust (also on sale) in the freezer. Made that yesterday. It’s half gone already. Yum.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	5C1B5595-CF4A-4322-88E6-519294498B06.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	895.7 KB
ID:	155350 Click image for larger version

Name:	D819B6EF-9F14-4775-84E6-3367D2FA3D76.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	155351

Comment

Working...
                      X