Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freight

Global Supply Chain
    • According to Flexport’s Ocean Timeliness Indicator (OTI), trans-Pacific transit times reached an all-time high of 113 days in early January. That’s 57% higher than January 2021. (FreightWaves)
    • The LA Port plans to start charging carriers to remove empty containers that are left on terminals for nine days or longer. This is similar to the $100 import storage fee, which continues to be postponed because of a reduction in long-stored containers. (FreightWaves)
    • With the increase in positive COVID-19 cases and a spike in demand for rapid tests, the Biden administration has requested all containers with COVID-19 test kits be expedited through ports. (FreightWaves)
    • China’s zero tolerance policy on fighting COVID-19 continues to impact capacity, aiding in delays leading up to Chinese New Year and the Winter Olympics in Beijing. (FreightWaves)
    Small town S. W. Ga./St. James Fl.

Interesting..
    As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
    2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
    2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
    Mobile, Al.
    Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Love it! Nothing but good things FJB

Comment

We import the Covid tests? Do we make anything anymore?

Omicron is hitting our island now. Everyone I have talked to that has it, or had it, says its like a bad cold and gets over it quickly. No one seems to be interested in testing, because they assume they have it. EDIT not trying to make this a Covid thread, just that I think by the time the millions of tests get here, it won't matter.
        Andrew Munao Jr
        Yamaha Sales/Tech Support, SIM Yamaha
        888-231-2392 | [email protected] | simyamaha.com

Comment

• Ol Mucky
          Ol Mucky commented
          Editing a comment
          The WH is importing covid tests and masks.
          And as you may be aware I beleive its 90+% of all our medicines are made overseas. With China being one of the largest.

Are the Chinese using Freight delays as a pawn in the Tariff war? Has anyone noticed that Biden hasn’t repealed nor reduced any of Trump’s tariffs on China?

Comment

• Ol Mucky
          Ol Mucky commented
          Editing a comment
          Brandon did just rescind(or said he was about to) tarriifs on steel from GB
          I dont think he has expressed doing anything on China. They do have one of the laptops sooo

Originally posted by Cregeis View Post
        Are the Chinese using Freight delays as a pawn in the Tariff war? Has anyone noticed that Biden hasn’t repealed nor reduced any of Trump’s tariffs on China?
        That is a great question..
        As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
        2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
        Mobile, Al.
        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

Its not just china crap.
          My wife's business is now paying $2000 dollar freight bills that a year ago were $500 to ship a pallet just across the USA

Comment

• Ol Mucky
            Ol Mucky commented
            Editing a comment
            I dont know all the ins and outs of insurance, but it seems to me there would be a badass niche opportunity for a fella to make some decent coin doing "small" shipping drives/deliverys across the states

• KMac
            KMac commented
            Editing a comment
            A hotshot service.. Yep..

We ship in from all across the US and Canada. Freight has risen considerably. I used to get a flatbed truck from Canada to FL for $3,200. It is now over $5,000.
          I also import containers from Vietnam. A year ago they were $8,000. I have 4 on the water now at $26,400 each.

Prices on steel are level if not actually going down a little. Freight is still stupid.

Comment

Freight pays the bills for me, I'm seeing a little bit more but nowhere near what my company gets!
            Thanks anyway, woohoo 🎉!

BWP

Comment

Originally posted by Sans Peur View Post
              We ship in from all across the US and Canada. Freight has risen considerably. I used to get a flatbed truck from Canada to FL for $3,200. It is now over $5,000.
              I also import containers from Vietnam. A year ago they were $8,000. I have 4 on the water now at $26,400 each.

Prices on steel are level if not actually going down a little. Freight is still stupid.
              Frieght rose considerable not because the shipping companies are gouging but because shippers were depressing shipping rates. For years the shippers were naming what they would pay the hauling companies instead of the hauling companies naming the rates. Up till this point shipping rates had stayed flat since 2000. Mean while trucks went from around 90k to 187k. A turbo was 800-1200 dollars a modern turbo is 5000 to 6000 dollars. Parts have skyrocketed and the trucks have gotten increasing complex due to epa and federal regulations.

I remeber siting in a meeting with a big wig from one of the mega corporations back in 2006-2007 time frame. You know the one with the big bullseye logo. They told use they were gonna make up the cost savings in shipping. That trailer were gonna go from a 70 percent fill to 90 percent floor loaded fill to cut back on how many trailers we shipped. Either the trucking company took our rates or we would dump them and find someone who did. This company and all of them alike were doing the same thing and it's stayed that way since then.
              ​​​​​​​
              ​​​​​​​qhat you seeing now is nothing more then years of poor practices coming together and causing the bubble on shipping to pop years of suppressed shipping rates have caught up to the industry. And it's done more harm then most understand. We have a 80000 plus drive shortfall and growing. This is years of abuse by the big training companies on new drivers that they know they have by the tail.

​​​​​​​Further more the 100 dollars a day should not be charged to the trucking companies. It's stupid we have very little control when we pick up a box or deliver it. We are lucky if we can get an appointment at the port. When we do the trucks are stuck in the port for 3-5 hours sometimes. Then the customers dictate when they get the box many of them are short staffed and can't take delivery of them as they have no crews to of load them. The steamship line not only charges you by the day while its in the port but after 4 free days they charged you for it to be out the port at a much higher rate so sometimes it's cheaper to keep it in the peer then to pull it and store it. Plus a lot of companies don't want to because usually land around the ports and the 50to 75 around it is ungodly expensive to rent or own. Trucks take up a ton of space. A 2 acre
              space in this area zoned for trucking is around 7 to 10k a month .

​​​​​​​I dont think the average person grasps what's going on in to port or trucking or what has been going on. I sure as he'll know this admistration doesn't especially when they bring in people from ups and FedEx to represent trucking for which I have never seen a ups or FedEx truck in the port of Virginia.

Comment

Working...
              X