• Show
Clear All

• Fritters

Whitebait fritters from NZ?

I’m not sure about that

https://fresh.co.nz/nz-whitebait-fritters/

Looks like they would be hell to clean. Need about 2000 for lunch

Comment

I prefer not to eat anything with bait in the name. That’s for other fishes. Anchovies, okay. Sardines, okay. Whitebait, no.
      2010 Sea Ray 205 Boston Whaler dauntless 15 W/75 merc 14' Shakespeare Wondercraft W/Merc110 17' Gheenoe W/Johnson 4.5 Other assorted watercraft

Comment

Are those like smelts?
        As of April 2nd, boatless for the first time in many years.
        2019 Tidewater 252 CC Twin F150's- SOLD
        2016 Tidewater 230 CC VF250 SHO- SOLD
        Mobile, Al.
        Dauphin Island, Al.

Comment

• Ol Mucky
          Ol Mucky commented
          Editing a comment
          They looked like glassie silky minnows

But like smelt, I wouldn’t eat them as a fritter either. Lol

• KMac
          KMac commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, I am not a fan of anything with the bones. That includes sardines. No thanks to the eyeballs and guts either.

I love fritters. My great grandmother made the best salted Cod fritters. Lots of onion, garlic and parsley.
        You can make fritters out of anything. Yum.

Comment

They are actually very good to eat, some restaurants sell them here, they are not cleaned, just a small fish, cooked until crispy in a kind of batter.

Comment

Just like a fresh fish "fritter" no bones, head or anything is noticeable, it's just a crispy fish taste, people eat all sorts of things as everyday meals, where others think they're nuts.....soft shell crab, hog jowls, animal heart, tongues and brains, chicken livers.....yeeek, blood sausage....no thanks.
          Last edited by noelm; 01-14-2022, 04:12 AM.

Comment

I had these very lightly fried New Years day at an omakase place in St Pete. They were very tasty and you could not tell they had bones or anything.
            When they served them you could see barely the little black eyes under the bread crumb batter. I didn't say anything to the people with us. One or two may not have eaten them and I didn't want to piss off the sushi chef.

Comment

Working...
            X