For the aircraft guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For the aircraft guys

Got the annual air show going on here today, lots of vintage war planes, lots of modern fighters and helicopters buzzing around, unfortunately it's a crap day with very low cloud, so, the "show" is not such a big hit, the flyby at very low level by the Hornets was good (and noisey) the old Spitfire and DC 3 were good viewing as was the MIG that does joy flights now and then, the old Neptune Seaplane flying around was a sight. Plenty of "static" displays too, a still working F111, a Super Constellation passenger plane that still flies around regularly, a 747 that you can sit in the pilots seat, all sorts of stuff, hoped to get some photos, but the weather kind of killed that idea.

Airshows are fun. They have a show (at least, used to) at McDill AFB in Tanpa, we would take the boat and watch from the water just off the base. Lots more relaxed than sitting in the bleachers!

I would love to see a Spitfire in action. And I wonder if there are any old Zeroes still flying.

Comment

No Zeros here that I know of, but the Spitfire is a hoot, I must admit the Navy display with the Blackhawks was good, the old DC3 looks like you could walk faster than it flies. The whole event is run by a volunteer organisation "HARS" which is Historical Aircraft Restoration Society, they restore all sorts of old planes, especially WW2 stuff, the Neptune Seaplane does display landings and take off on a nearby lake, the old Hercules is another good plane, it just kind of "lumbers" along, can fly so slow.

Comment

I love airplanes. Google bush planes those things can land in basically a 20 yard space.

Comment

Sitting in the cockpit of a 747....WOWOW!!!!

Comment

The place is open 7 days a week and most planes are there permanently (except the Navy and Airforce of course) the 747 is a very popular display and to sit in the cockpit is pretty good, unfortunately it's only a "static" display, but it is fully operational, most planes do regular flights, but some (for legal reasons) are only static displays. A couple of times a year they have a "Tarmac day" where they start up the static aircraft which is a fun day too.

Comment

When I was younger I flew on the first 747 built. It was a Pan Am plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfercross View Post
              When I was younger I flew on the first 747 built. It was a Pan Am plane.
              My two dreams, not to be fulfilled.
              - Fly in the Concord.
              - Fly in a 7-4-7.
              Engine Sales and Service
              Ph +1 954.463.1515
              Fx +1
              Toll Free: 800.622.6747

[email protected]
              www.parkeryacht.com

Comment

• AboutTime2Fish
                AboutTime2Fish
                Decky
                AboutTime2Fish commented
                Editing a comment
                Out of luck on the concord, but there are still 74’s in passenger service around. Korean Air for sure, I think British airways and Virgin though I’ve not noted seeing their tails around much these days.

• Surfercross
                Surfercross
                aka Sharkbite
                Surfercross commented
                Editing a comment
                Concord is supposed to make a come back.

• Surfercross
                Surfercross
                aka Sharkbite
                Surfercross commented
                Editing a comment
                I was wrong. United is buying supersonic planes that should go into service in 2029.

Not too sure if anyone is familiar with the "Super Constellation" but it was a very popular passenger aircraft, they do regular flights in that, and you can buy tickets to experience what air travel was like many years ago, I have seen it flying many times and it looks pretty slow for long distance travel, but it does sound pretty good when the engines are in synch, it kind of gets a (how to type a sound?) waaa-waaa-waaa resonance when everything is just right!

Comment

Originally posted by noelm View Post
                Not too sure if anyone is familiar with the "Super Constellation" but it was a very popular passenger aircraft, they do regular flights in that, and you can buy tickets to experience what air travel was like many years ago, I have seen it flying many times and it looks pretty slow for long distance travel, but it does sound pretty good when the engines are in synch, it kind of gets a (how to type a sound?) waaa-waaa-waaa resonance when everything is just right!
                They used a 18 cyl. radial from the B-29. I flew on a bunch of DC-7's with the same engines...I was maybe 10 yo. They had a 2 speed turbo and would shift gears as the altitude increased. I would sit over the wings just to watch those magnificent engines.

Comment

Here is a picture of the one near me, not my picture, I just "found it" the blurb about it says they went into service in the 1940's and were one of the first passenger aircraft with a pressurised cabin.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just a bit of a side note about the 747 on display, according to the guy that tells you all about the planes, the 747 will never leave the ground again, unless it is stripped to its barest bones, the runway was just long enough to land it, but, not long enough to take off again in its current working form. It was a sight to see such a big aircraft just over your head when it landed there a few years ago, the runway must have looked so short to the pilot.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oxUYvSuvaak
                      Dont know if this link will work, it's a short movie of it landing.

Comment

I sat in the cockpit of the X-35 that is in the Smithsonian when it was under construction.

There are something like 8 planes in museums that I personally worked on.

I feel old.

Comment

Originally posted by noelm View Post
                          Here is a picture of the one near me, not my picture, I just "found it" the blurb about it says they went into service in the 1940's and were one of the first passenger aircraft with a pressurised cabin.
                          Gorgeous plane

Comment

Working...
                          X